Brian's(Old Scales)Rescape Journal "Yikes!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Late to the party as always. This is going to be a nice build. I understand the tear down...you are probably your own worst critic plus you are the one who has to stare at it (well, us too when you share pics). The DW looks nice. And I see the Cadillac of regulators in the FTS. I feel for you when it comes to planting the very small plants. My shoulders usually hurt more than my back.

Do you feel that the fine grain EC holds down the plants as well as or better than the regular EC? Sometimes using toothpicks helps. I needed them not because of the fish or the water current; it was because of the MTS. They are like underwater gophers. And I'm Bill Murray.

Take your time with this; your fish should be fine where they are.

Plants all in! I'm pooped!

OK everyone! I just got all the plants I'm going to put in and got it filled with water. Got HOB only with mechanical only on filtration to clear the water. Will let it run overnight, then finish putting it all back together. Fishys are just going to have to camp out tonight in the tub. OK here's the pictures! lol Remember it's still bubbly and cloudy and the plants are still crooked. Tell me what you think.
Fresh, the Eco fine is really easy on the stems and roots when you push them into the substrate. And no it doesn't hold them quite as strongly as regular grains.
I'm beat! Time to sit here and gab. I'll post pics after all the equipment is back on and water gets really clear, tomorrow. It's been great having you guys with me on this.
OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1137.jpg
    DSCF1137.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF1138.jpg
    DSCF1138.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF1139.jpg
    DSCF1139.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF1135.jpg
    DSCF1135.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 153
Hi OS, do glad you used your back breaks to keep us up to date. It's only when someone documents this process that the newbies can appreciate the work involved. I had to relocate my 260l last year (50 miles) it was a satisfying job but also a nightmare.
Remember, however, the 6 P's - Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!
Took me 5 days to plant up - water clarity was against me as I also brought the 5 year old substrate. It was 1/3 substrate and 2/3 S***.

Looking forward to the next instalment. Best of luck. I shall appreciate my tank jungle all the more in the morning.

Keep smiling OS and know that we are all smiling at, no correction, WITH YOU.
Steve.

PS. I still have to tie on two clumps of fissedens fontannis moss when it comes in. One clump will be at the very top spire of the big DW and the other on the right on the small piece. Hi Scott. Thanks, glad your're here. OS.

Yea OS tank looks fantabulous! This green side of the aquarium is something very serious! I didn't know it was possible to like anything more than aquarium fish!! Nah but we still love our fish.

And Dragon, that's nowhere old!

Very impressed with it Brian. The DW pool with the Crypt Parva is a nice touch. I think i prefer the brown driftwood you have to the DW in layout 75. Glad you have all the hard work out of the way and you are down to the serious business of enjoying the tank. I have the gear in place to set up more tanks. Will get started on one soon.

Looks amazing. Going to have to steal the idea of planting on the wood. Ingenious

Heck of a job OS! The dw looks phenomenal! Can't wait to see it in a couple weeks! Gas it baby!!

What I learned about Eco Fine Grade

Good morning friends,
I had a good night's sleep and ready to get the rest of the equipment and fish back in the tank. I stopped working on it last night at 11pm.
When planting in the Eco Fine I learned some things I want to pass on to you.
1. EF is lighter than sand. It is easy to move around to level. I don't know that sloping it very much would work long term as being easy to move, fish like Corys (which should really love it) and water currents will tend to level it out.
2. It is not totally dark black like blasting sand or Tahitian moon sand. It also has tiny brown colored grains scattered throughout. Not enough to make it unattractive except to someone wanting the "pure dark black" look.
3. It is MUCH easier on delicate stems when pushing then into it. However it won't hold the plants as tightly as sand or gravel. When you plant heavily rooted plants like Swords or Crypts, don't trim the roots as short as you would for gravel. You'll need these extra roots to help hold it down.
It will be interesting to see what happens when I put my six Corys in with the new planted tiny little Glossos. I may have to keep them in the 16g for a couple of weeks until they root in a little. But my Corys are going to think they are in heaven rooting through this nice light sand-like media. Should be easy on their barbels.

I'll post pics when the tank is all back together w/ fish. Also will post a pic about every week to track growth and fill in. Later, Brian (OS)

Nice job! I tore down my entire tank recently and rescaped and it can be a pain! It looks good. Can't wait to see it in a month or two when it's grown in.

"2. It is not totally dark black like blasting sand or Tahitian moon sand. It also has tiny brown colored grains scattered throughout. Not enough to make it unattractive except to someone wanting the "pure dark black" look."

So it's like the regular grained Eco Complete then. That has brownish/reddish pieces in it as well. Good to know since I've been thinking about trying it at some point.

Morning Dragon and Dallas,
No the EC fine is not as "pure" black as I expected. It still is black enough for me though.
I may have not planted the Glosso as deep as I should. I read somewhere you almost couldn't plant it too deep. We'll see. OS.

Great job, OS! I can't believe you worked until 11! Resetting a tank is a lot of hard work, believe me, I know! :) can't wait to see it fill in! The glosso is gonna look great. Oh, and I imagine planting it would be similar to planting HC. You could probably shove it down until barely anything is sticking out, then new growth will spread up and along the substrate. Keep the updates coming, pretty sure we're all looking forward to this tank maturing! (y)

Morning Dragon and Dallas,
No the EC fine is not as "pure" black as I expected. It still is black enough for me though.
I may have not planted the Glosso as deep as I should. I read somewhere you almost couldn't plant it too deep. We'll see. OS.
Looks great Brian. Nice job. Has the cloudiness cleared much??

Back
Top Bottom