Brian's GLA 6g Rimless V.2 - Rescape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have dosing bottles?

In one bottle or container you need to mix 65 grams of KNO3, Potassium Nitrate with 1000ml of distilled or RO water, shake well, leave overnight before using.

In a second bottle mix 59 grams of Potassium Sulfate and 6 grams of Mono Potassium Phosphate with 1000ml of distilled or RO water, shake well, leave overnight before using.

General dosing is 1ml of each solution per every 10 gallons daily. BUT I literally take my end of the week tank readings for nitrates and phosphates to see where my levels are at right before a WC. This then shows me if I need to increase, decrease, or dose the same for the coming week. I prefer low nitrates at 10ppm and high phosphates at 5-10ppms. Good levels for most tanks are 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-3ppm phosphates.

I don't use the liquid micro's so am not any help there but Excel is a liquid carbon not a fert.

My 220g is dirted but still needs ferts for the water. The soil will provide some but not enough nutrients for stem plants except the first few weeks.

Thanks Janice

I hate to take Brian's thread over... sending you PM

Sorry Brian, your scape looks great :)

You should invest in a water changer like the Python or Aqueon one.

No... but I'm thinking about a pair of diverter valves I can plumb inline with my eheim to let the filter do water changes for me... I don't find a setup specific to this task, however

It's the Serengeti, not Savannah! LOL

No... nothing new to report... the elephant was getting out of hand so I had to bust out the tranquilizer.

I'll probably do a large PWC though.

It's the Serengeti, not Savannah! LOL No... nothing new to report... the elephant was getting out of hand so I had to bust out the tranquilizer. I'll probably do a large PWC though.

Probably better, I hear elephants have huge bioloads anyway...

2 Months - Update

As expected... slow and steady growth. With the plant selection, the FugeRay-R has proven to be effective in growing the plants. The growth becomes even more apparent with a side-by-side shot from day 1 planted, to 2 months later (today).

I removed some of the blyxa on the right to make room for a heater. It's starting to get cold at night and didn't want the Betta to be unhappy. I also added an opaque background (used some clear contact paper, it's not really clear -- which is perfect to give it that diffused look).

I still plan on getting shrimp or something and move the Betta. She's temporary for the time-being. The 60P and 60F have been getting most of my attention. However, this little tank is still nice to have next to my desk. :)

Here are some pics... please excuse the GDA on the glass... got lazy to clean it off for the crappy cellphone pics.

ibajCXANMItCQi.jpg

ibo537W0If0Wvc.jpg

iulyCsV16FQj3.jpg

Looking good, Brian! What kind of shrimp are you thinking? I think some CBS would look awesome against the colors of the scape.

That DHG from Petsmart stays surprisingly low and curls over a bit like the Belem variety. Maybe that's what it is..

Yeah that's what has been one of my theories. When I try to do a comparison on Google images, forums, etc. E. Belen and e. Parvula look the same. I wonder if someone was the wiser and bought e.parvula from petsmart and sold it for much more under the Belem name? Haha

I'd love CBS in this tank. They'd remind me of zebras on the African grassy plains. But I'm too scared to try co2 with them. I've had bad luck. I'd have to convert this to a moss tank or something. Otherwise, might just do some Neos

Lookin good dude! It's really filling in nicely.

Have you trimmed the hairgrass yet? I hear it encourages it to spread? Has this been your experience with it in prior setups?

Just curious. ;)

Ahhhh I forgot about the co2 :( carbon Rilis are pretty cool and expensive, too.

Yeah carbons are expensive... I'll just wait for Mike's red rilis or something. Or some fire reds would nice. The reds would look nice under this light and contrast well against the africana.

The tank is looking great! How do you like the Ray R?

I like it for this tank... if the tank were any bigger or if I wanted faster growth, I'd recommend the Planted+ over it. Growth has been slow. But I'm quite happy with that because I already have two fast growing tanks to keep me busy.

Lookin good dude! It's really filling in nicely.

Have you trimmed the hairgrass yet? I hear it encourages it to spread? Has this been your experience with it in prior setups?

Just curious. ;)

Since this species of DHG stays short, I hardly ever trim it. I've trimmed it in another tank in the past, but that was after a long time after it formed a full carpet. I might try trimming a small patch to test that theory of faster growth. Thanks for that suggestion!

What's up guys... it's been a while since I've updated this thread. Some of you, those who know or follow me through my other threads, know I had a recent disaster in which basically forced me to tear down my builds for relocation.

Anyways, this GLA 6g has been my first rimless tank but has taken a backseat to my 60P/60F. So with a little thought and planning, I've decided to make this a shrimp tank... low tech, no CO2! I've failed in 2 previous attempts at shrimp, both of which I was getting a little overzealous with trying to keep shrimp in CO2 injected tanks.

So I removed most of the demanding plants and added some mosses. I also added my yamaya stones. My last major change, which I've always hated because I think they're ugly, was to add in a sponge filter. I've read they do wonders in shrimp tanks. The extra bubbles also keeps the surface from developing a protein layer. So I'm starting to like it. I'm thinking the moss will eventually grow on it and help conceal it a bit.

Oh...and I added some ember tetras to help build up the BB in preparation for shrimp. I'll move them to the 60P in a couple of weeks or so.

As for shrimp... I'm thinking PFR and CRS (maybe OEBT). We'll see.

So without further ado, here's some pics (nothing special, I know... but it's my first go at "shrimp focused").

Any critiques, comments, or suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

jbk7pcAlcUgPOd.jpg

jPhvPMc9gKY1L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom