Brian's GLA 6g Rimless V.2 - Rescape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, low tech? That's a change coming from you! I like it- you managed to keep it looking super clean and lush. The only suggestion I have is to move the plant in the back left somewhere else. I'm not sure if there is any room for you to move it, but I feel like it would look better with negative space in that area.

Brian,
I read about you having trouble with shrimp and CO2. Would that apply to Amanos also. Was thinking about some for the Glosso in the 29 after it fully carpets but now I'm not so sure. Your little 6 looks kicking! OS.

Oh, I forgot to ask- how do you like the ember tetras? I am planning on getting a bunch for my 20. Yours look nice and colorful.

I'm digging it, bro! The color between the PFR and CRS will be awesome. What grade CRS you thinking? I think the S+ and SS are a nice medium between red and white.

I'm digging it, bro! The color between the PFR and CRS will be awesome. What grade CRS you thinking? I think the S+ and SS are a nice medium between red and white.

I agree, but having bred S+-SS myself, I would recommend getting a higher grade. They do look nice with the color balance, but if you breed enough of them (they bred well for me while my aquasoil stuff buffered my hard tap water), they can quickly start to require culling. SSS are supposed to be a bit harder to breed, but if you get enough of them, they're pretty profitable if you sell some of them off. I'm not sure if Brian is planning on breeding and selling, but that is just my opinion on it.

Last edited:
Wow, low tech? That's a change coming from you! I like it- you managed to keep it looking super clean and lush. The only suggestion I have is to move the plant in the back left somewhere else. I'm not sure if there is any room for you to move it, but I feel like it would look better with negative space in that area.

Yeah I'll probably maybe that flame moss.. it's kind of oddly competing with that Lilaeopsis Mauritiana in the middle.

Do you guys know if that marsilea minuta in the front right will do alright without CO2? I'm not sure if I can at least keep that e. Parvula on the front left alive, too? Lol

Brian,
I read about you having trouble with shrimp and CO2. Would that apply to Amanos also. Was thinking about some for the Glosso in the 29 after it fully carpets but now I'm not so sure. Your little 6 looks kicking! OS.

I think amanos should be alright. Everyone tells me that they'd adapt to a wide array of conditions (including CO2). They might start to try climbing out your tank if they hate the water... I've seen that happen before. Thanks for the compliment on the 6g. I think the previous 2 versions of it were better. But at least this "should" be less to worry about. I miss having shrimp so this should be fun. I'm wondering if I should buy them a little cholla wood home, too?

Oh, I forgot to ask- how do you like the ember tetras? I am planning on getting a bunch for my 20. Yours look nice and colorful.

Embers are freakin' awesome, IMO. They stay small, hardier than neons, and look great when their colors deepen. I just put them in so their color is a like pale due to stress. You should get some... You can put A LOT in that 20. That would look cool. My LFS sold them to me for $2 a pop. They gave me 50% off what they priced them at.

Thanks... I'm clueless about CRS. I just want the cheapest, 1 or 2 notches above culls. Which are cheaper?

I agree, but having bred S+-SS myself, I would recommend getting a higher grade. They do look nice with the color balance, but if you breed enough of them (they bred well for me while my aquasoil stuff buffered my hard tap water), they can quickly start to require culling. SSS are supposed to be a bit harder to breed, but if you get enough of them, they're pretty profitable if you sell some of them off. I'm not sure if Brian is planning on breeding and selling, but that is just my opinion on it.

I'd love high grade, but based on failed experiences, I'm scared to flush money away.. So I'm going to start lower grade to learn. But can you tell me what your hard water tap reads at.. I mean are you mixing it with RO and remineralizers? What's the TDS, KH and GH? Do you supplement anything like Indian almond leaves or special foods?

Yeah I'll probably maybe that flame moss.. it's kind of oddly competing with that Lilaeopsis Mauritiana in the middle.

Do you guys know if that marsilea minuta in the front right will do alright without CO2? I'm not sure if I can at least keep that e. Parvula on the front left alive, too? Lol

It definitely will. I used to grow it in my tanks without co2. I have some in my 2 gallon low light (no co2, no ferts and low bioload) and it does fine. Even with co2, ferts and high light, it grows slowly. Just be patient and it should start to spread out for you.

I'd love high grade, but based on failed experiences, I'm scared to flush money away.. So I'm going to start lower grade to learn. But can you tell me what your hard water tap reads at.. I mean are you mixing it with RO and remineralizers? What's the TDS, KH and GH? Do you supplement anything like Indian almond leaves or special foods?

Ok, I didn't know you hadn't kept any before. If you're not sure how they'd do in your water then go for the cheaper ones first. The only special thing I do for them is feed them special food (Mosura CRS Specialty and Mosura Excel). They're super expensive (seller sent me some as a bonus when I bought CRS- I didn't actually buy any :lol: ) so I don't think they're necessary. You could probably feed them Fluval Shrimp Pellets, Ken's foods (barley pellets probably) and/or Flakes. I found that giving them a varied diet helps with the colors. I just tested my tap water.
GH- 10 degrees
KH- 5/6 degrees
PH- a whopping 9 out of the faucet. I think as it gasses off it gets lower (also lowered by tannins).
I don't have a TDS meter and have never needed one. Note that my CRS are doing well right now (haven't had a death in several months) but aren't breeding. I think they would breed if I buffered it down even more.

Last edited:
It definitely will. I used to grow it in my tanks without co2. I have some in my 2 gallon low light (no co2, no ferts and low bioload) and it does fine. Even with co2, ferts and high light, it grows slowly. Just be patient and it should start to spread out for you.

Thanks, max... Is this ID'd correctly as marsilea minuta? Or is it m. crenata?

Attachments

• 1391290081845.jpg
    1391290081845.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 83
Ok, I didn't know you hadn't kept any before. If you're not sure how they'd do in your water then go for the cheaper ones first. The only special thing I do for them is feed them special food (Mosura CRS Specialty and Mosura Excel). They're super expensive (seller sent me some as a bonus when I bought CRS- I didn't actually buy any :lol: ) so I don't think they're necessary. You could probably feed them Fluval Shrimp Pellets, Ken's foods (barley pellets probably) and/or Flakes. I found that giving them a varied diet helps with the colors. I just tested my tap water.
GH- 10 degrees
KH- 5/6 degrees
PH- a whopping 9 out of the faucet. I think as it gasses off it gets lower (also lowered by tannins).
I don't have a TDS meter and have never needed one. Note that my CRS are doing well right now (haven't had a death in several months) but aren't breeding. I think they would breed if I buffered it down even more.

Thanks for this... this gives me some encouragement as I imagined that they'd be more touchy than this.

Thanks, max... Is this ID'd correctly as marsilea minuta? Or is it m. crenata?

Both look pretty much exactly the same. So I just call mine "marsilea" :lol: Your embers look really nice already and you said they weren't colored up yet (y)

Here's a close-up of the embers. Got them schooling.. guess they colored up. They just looked a little pale in the beginning from stress.

jbzoSIz8fjkWSq.png

They look great! What have you been feeding them? Your pictures look better already since you got the new camera. :)

Thanks, bro! I have been feeding them frozen brine and hikari micro pellets. It's strange, too, that they seem to like staying at the front of the tank very near to the bottom near the substrate. They rarely swim mid-level or higher, only when food is present. I don't think the current is too rough. It's just an Azoo Palm and sponge filter. It's been about a week since I got them, so I don't see why they'd still be skittish?

Yeah, this camera rocks! I definitely recommend it if you want something miles ahead of a P&S or cell phone camera. The 'cool gadget' factor is there.

I don't know, I have never really kept nano schooling fish. My guess would be the current like you said. Try leaving the co2 off for a day and see if activity improves- because co2 is less dense than water it rises as diffusion occurs. They could be trying to avoid the co2 by going in the opposite direction. Sort of like when there's smoke, they say to crawl or get down low so you don't inhale as much because smoke rises. I'm not sure if co2 concentrations would be equal as depth increases. Co2 is definitely a necessity, so maybe they just need some time to get used to it.

Last edited:
Well actually, I removed the co2 system from this tank prior to putting them in here. Since this tank is mostly moss and a couple of plants that should do okay w/out co2. I am dosing some Glut. I ordered the gallon on ebay but it arrived as Omnicide 14, rather than Metricide. I've asked on TPT, and others have used Omnicide for Glut, because it was cheaper, to no ill effect.

My only other guess is that the sponge filter's bubbles could be scaring them? I had embers in my 60P before the fire and they swam all around. Confused.

Back
Top Bottom