cant figure out my problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeysuckle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have had a tank running for 4 almost 5 weeks now. Tank is cycle so i put 4 damsels in the tank. well couple started fighting which 2 die. then one like stess and die. So i had one left. well all a sudden he look stress and die. Any time i pull a damsel in i get like 2 days and they die. Cant any one answer that? I mean my ph is 8.3 my ammonia like .0 maybe a like but like nothing. nitrates are 0. sat level is 1.024 temp is 77. could i have to much fliting of the water or something cause i put 5 hermit crab in when i had the one damsel and they came out of the shell and die within 12 hours too. mean i have 2 hangon fliter a 50 and a 20 by marineland. 50 has a nitrate and phosphere aborb bags in it. i have a 500 gph power head too.i have a dual t 5 light. i have 20 pounds of life rock and 5 pounds man made. 20 pounds of crush coral on the bottom. i cant figure it out of why everything keeps dieing. i even have green algea growing too. plz someone help me cause i dont want to give up but also dont want to keep killing fish.

I am no expert but it sounds like something might have poisoned the tank... Any chance you got glass cleaner or something in your tank that doesn't belong? Dying in two days seems a bit fast for any sort of illness.

Your tank might still be cycling. What test kit are you using? Test kit might be giving false readings of ammonia.

Well my master api test kit test fine and my lfs store test fine, if my tank was posion my cleaner how do I go about fixing it? Do I need to empty the tank out and start over and how could I tell?

Are you sure the tank cycled? Seems like you should have some nitrates in there if it had...how did you cycle the tank?

Yea that what I did. I had empty my tank wash everything with water and vinger and started all over. I was told to just put my live rock in a bucket with a power head for a couple days and switch out the water and do it again before putting it in the tank. Is that true will it work if I did have chemical in the tank. I mean I found out 2 thing my mom sprayair freaher a lot cause I seen her and yell at her lol and chemcal to clean the tables. Cause my tank has a open lid which I'm going to gat a close lid now.

I let my tank run for 3 weeks and I tried adding starter fish.

For those 3 weeks, what was your source of ammonia? Did it come from the live rock die-offs? What was the water test readings after the first 3 weeks?

Yea that what I did. I had empty my tank wash everything with water and vinger and started all over. I was told to just put my live rock in a bucket with a power head for a couple days and switch out the water and do it again before putting it in the tank. Is that true will it work if I did have chemical in the tank. I mean I found out 2 thing my mom sprayair freaher a lot cause I seen her and yell at her lol and chemcal to clean the tables. Cause my tank has a open lid which I'm going to gat a close lid now.

Unless your mom's hairspray is crazy strong fumes, then it shouldn't affect your water. Before you start all over and take apart your tank for cleaning, be 100% certain that your tank has completed cycled. If you cycle it, take out the phosphate and nitrAte absorbers so that it doesn't skew the nitrAte test readings.

I start over so ur telling me that the bag messing with the tank cause all my levels test fine.

"I let my tank run for 3 weeks and I tried adding starter fish"

Your problem seems to be you rushed the tank before cycle finished ,

Even though my tank cycle for 3 weeks and all my level test fine and lfs test them and their were fine too

"fine" doesn't mean the tank cycled. Only a few reasons that all fish and inverts would die so fast. They were either poisoned by ammonia because the tank didn't finish the cycle or some other chemical in the water, like the air freshener or windex or etc.

Back
Top Bottom