Carey's Pico Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow., your kitchen looks soooooooooo clean!!! You ought see mine,......naw on second thought maybe not .

Thanks, caught it on a good day. LOL

I'm gonna have to keep it clean now so I can see my tank!

On a sucky note, the filter crapped out on the pico already. i sent an email and hopefully they will send me a new one.

carey said:
Thanks, caught it on a good day. LOL

I'm gonna have to keep it clean now so I can see my tank!

On a sucky note, the filter crapped out on the pico already. i sent an email and hopefully they will send me a new one.

I never trusted those little filters,...kinda like a kids toy instead of a "real" one

It seems to be of decent quality too. never can tell I guess. lol The impeller is so very tiny, I tried to clean it out but still nothing. No email back from Finnex yet either. I hope they don't jerk me around on this rinky dink filter.

carey said:
It seems to be of decent quality too. never can tell I guess. lol The impeller is so very tiny, I tried to clean it out but still nothing. No email back from Finnex yet either. I hope they don't jerk me around on this rinky dink filter.

.... I'm sure they'll be cool about it,..but, it still sucks. Carey do you work like at a real job or are you a at home aquarium mom?

I'm an at home fishie mom yes. Thats a real nice way of saying I stay home, don't work and care for my fish all day long. LOL

carey said:
I'm an at home fishie mom yes. Thats a real nice way of saying I stay home, don't work and care for my fish all day long. LOL

You must have a very understanding husband ! .... Does he roll his eyes when you tell him at the door that you just ordered ANOTHER tank ?
Have you caught him looking at your tanks and then banging his head against the wall?..... Just kidding ,. I'm just jealous

Last edited:
Maybe if you find the candy cane goby you could put it in there? No sense in having a fish you can never see hehe.

My b/f is very understanding, but I spend only my money on tanks, I've never asked him for a dime. LOL It's my obsession not his.

I hate to say it, but I think i accidently killed the candycane when i removed the sand perch yesterday. I havent seen him since I started taking rock out. He's so tiny I may have placed a rock onhim for all I know. I really hope he turns up, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

I'm thinking on just getting warpaint clown goby and some sexy shrimp. :)

Gonna keep a watch on this thread. I just started eyeing my 5 gallon hex thinking about tuning it into a nanoreef this afternoon...

Here are some pictures with the black sand and live rock. I'm guessing maybe 6 lbs or so. I setup an old top fin 10g filter to clear the water up while I wait for word on the broken filter.

I was going to add more live rock but figured I'd be getting corals that come attached to rock so I'm taking that into consideration.

img_1390457_0_bbae11f35eb0146b60b05d3f01d793ee.jpg

img_1390457_1_d43de8c5acfe466f357c362d11f13d4d.jpg

this is the EXACT pico settup i was looking at getting. how is the quality? cus thats the only reason im hesitant. how about the light? the only difference is the filter, the kit i was looking at has a cannister filter

well considering the filter broke already i can't say I'm pleased. lol

i was looking at the canister one too, but we took some votes here and decided to go sleek and almost invisible. :)

The light is a clip on type but seems very sturdy and emits strong light.

my main concen was the actual aquarium. cus i want a rimless pico. and then the light, cus i want to keep mushrooms and polyps, so i didnt know if their LED light was good or if the one you got was good. the filter was something i was considering going with a different brand with, i want to make it so that you dont see much equipment at all, ya know? ecoxotic makes a very nice PICO kit that has LEDs and all and it looks awesome, but is like $140..... i could rig up my own lights and filtration if needed. ya know?

The aquarium itslef is nicely made. No big seams in the back or anything. The light I think will be better in this than the other pico's with the small led fixture.

Looks good, Carey. I've had my eye on the Finnex for a whiiiile.

JMO, versus the tom's, jbj, eco pico, etc. this beats all of them.

I'm so torn on what to put in! I have so many ideas but so little space. I still want some big beautiful shrooms for my 125g lol. So many tanks, so few corals.

I'm going to visit the LFS tomorrow, maybe theres a mandarin with my name on it ;-)

How soon can I put anything in? I was thinking 3 sexy shrimp. I have the live rock from my cube in the pico so it should be able to support the bioload of a few creatures

I'm so torn on what to put in! I have so many ideas but so little space. I still want some big beautiful shrooms for my 125g lol. So many tanks, so few corals.

I'm going to visit the LFS tomorrow, maybe theres a mandarin with my name on it ;-)

How soon can I put anything in? I was thinking 3 sexy shrimp. I have the live rock from my cube in the pico so it should be able to support the bioload of a few creatures

Yes you will have to be very careful what you put in since it will be the main attraction in a tank this size! I'm trying to be very picky on corals too, almost bought a bright orange donut coral for 189 today, its aussie and beautiful! But it was attached to a rock and I want it to just sit in my sand haha I had to stop myself.

Most everything I've seen that is show stopper is usually australian and usually very $$. LOL I'm not ready to spend over $100 on a coral just yet.

So, when do you think i can stock the pico? The water is 0 across the board of course. Even if it weren't a 2 minute pwc would clear that right up. hehe

I know the guy tomorrow has sexy shrimp and ORA mandarins and I really want something.

Can I add anything to the tank yet? I won't be getting the goby until I make the order for stocking the 125g so I want something in the pico til then.

Most everything I've seen that is show stopper is usually australian and usually very $$. LOL I'm not ready to spend over $100 on a coral just yet.

So, when do you think i can stock the pico? The water is 0 across the board of course. Even if it weren't a 2 minute pwc would clear that right up. hehe

I know the guy tomorrow has sexy shrimp and ORA mandarins and I really want something.

Can I add anything to the tank yet? I won't be getting the goby until I make the order for stocking the 125g so I want something in the pico til then.

I think you can get sexy shrimp, they don't have much of a bioload anyways. Just keep an eye out for ammonia, like you said a quick water change is no biggy haha.

Back
Top Bottom