Cichlid Compatiblity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's all good until it comes to money. I cant find many stores with a good varaity of mbunas in colorado that dont put a whole in my wallet. So yes for me money is the biggest issue. Ill probably go with a 55g but who knows I have a feeling the 75 g will be mine though lol Ill keep you posted with my decision.( ps I think my acei and rz are hitting sexual maturity they have made a cave and are grabbing pebble and moving them to the out side its mostly the rz he is also being very territorial of this corner as well am i correct are they getting mature ?

That would be a, YES, that is how it starts. You may begin to see even more aggression in your RZ now.

If you can't find what you like, your LFS should be able to order them for you, without raising the price. If it comes in with their usual order, there is no reason to increase the price. But check online to see what the Mbunas you like are selling for. You may find it cheaper than your LFS, you never know.

Right now I have a 55g for my Mbunas. You can see some of them on my profile page. But, I do plan on getting a 75g tank and adding Texas Holy rock for them to play with.
I also have a tall 55g for my young Angelfish, but for them I'm going for the 90g tank, it's deeper which the Angels prefer.
Speaking of Angels, I finally got my pair of Platinum Veil-Tail Angelfish, they are just adorable. Right now they are the size of a dime, not including fins, so they are in a 10g by themselves. All my other Angels are MUCH LARGER. All done about me, back to you.

If I were you (or if I had it to do over again) I would go for the 75g instead of paying for a 55g and paying again later on for the 75g.

These days money is the big issue for many of us, so I do understand.
We have 2 chain FS in town and both are awful in the care and health of their fish. So I never buy anything living from them, it usually dies a dew days later anyway. So instead, I drive 3 towns over & 40 minutes away to buy all my fish. It is a great family owned shop and they treat all their patrons with appreciation.
They special order for me all the time (I'm picky). And if for some reason I have a personality clash in my tank, they take the bully back. Or even in a case where a Gouramis was being harassed to death. They took him back, even though he had a permanently damaged eye. He survived a bout of popeye, but lost the use of the eye. But they agreed to take him back so he wouldn't get hurt again, even though I had him for over a year
It really helps to shop around for not only the best deal, but the best service. In the long run it will save you money, aggravation and tragedy in your tank.
Good luck finding the tank you need and the type of fish you want.

WendiDell said:
That would be a, YES, that is how it starts. You may begin to see even more aggression in your RZ now.

If you can't find what you like, your LFS should be able to order them for you, without raising the price. If it comes in with their usual order, there is no reason to increase the price. But check online to see what the Mbunas you like are selling for. You may find it cheaper than your LFS, you never know.

Right now I have a 55g for my Mbunas. You can see some of them on my profile page. But, I do plan on getting a 75g tank and adding Texas Holy rock for them to play with.
I also have a tall 55g for my young Angelfish, but for them I'm going for the 90g tank, it's deeper which the Angels prefer.
Speaking of Angels, I finally got my pair of Platinum Veil-Tail Angelfish, they are just adorable. Right now they are the size of a dime, not including fins, so they are in a 10g by themselves. All my other Angels are MUCH LARGER. All done about me, back to you.

If I were you (or if I had it to do over again) I would go for the 75g instead of paying for a 55g and paying again later on for the 75g.

These days money is the big issue for many of us, so I do understand.
We have 2 chain FS in town and both are awful in the care and health of their fish. So I never buy anything living from them, it usually dies a dew days later anyway. So instead, I drive 3 towns over & 40 minutes away to buy all my fish. It is a great family owned shop and they treat all their patrons with appreciation.
They special order for me all the time (I'm picky). And if for some reason I have a personality clash in my tank, they take the bully back. Or even in a case where a Gouramis was being harassed to death. They took him back, even though he had a permanently damaged eye. He survived a bout of popeye, but lost the use of the eye. But they agreed to take him back so he wouldn't get hurt again, even though I had him for over a year
It really helps to shop around for not only the best deal, but the best service. In the long run it will save you money, aggravation and tragedy in your tank.
Good luck finding the tank you need and the type of fish you want.

I have found a store aways away the cichlids are very low in vareity.so I will need to keep looking but could I through some kenyi in the tank I have know?

I have found a store aways away the cichlids are very low in vareity.so I will need to keep looking but could I through some kenyi in the tank I have know?

I answered that on your other thread.

If you add 2 Kenyi, you MUST loose the RZ FIRST.

If you want the Pleco you MUST have a MUCH bigger tank.

Otherwise you are at full capacity for your size tank.

So no more fish! It's time to find a larger tank that you can afford. Or be content with what you have.

Bummer i was atleast hoping tp througj a bottom feeder or something in ther. owell. gues craiglust will be my best friend.ill keep you guys posted on the tank hunt.

I have seen some people on you tube make ply wood tanks is that something I could maybe try and they are fairly cheap to make. I was wondering if that would be cheaper but safe for my cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom