Cichlid Compatiblity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All depends on the fish. I had both Kenyi and some auratus before I rehomed them and believe it or not they were the most mellow in my tank. lol The red zebra is another story lol

I really like the kenyi and the female aurtuos again cant get it lol. Iam definetly looking at kenyi some or both gender. Quick question. My rz has been more agressive then normal and i checked my water it was on the hotter side then normal could that be the reason my rz has been more dominat than normal?

WendiDell said:
T-man, when you say cichlids you are talking about a whole lot of different fish. Most of the Africans are incompatible.
If you have some from Lake Malawi, you can't mix in any cichlids from lake Vitoria or the other one I can never remember, it's lake Tang-something.
Then a real different one are Angelfish. Angels are also considered Cichlids. But they can't be in a tank with any of the other cichlids.
I don't know who or how they decide which fish will be in the cichlid family, but there are a lot of them.
You may need to narrow your fish search a bit.

IMO you can put angel fish with other cichlids just like kribensis and GBR those. As long As they are peaceful dwarf cichlids they should be fine.

I really like the kenyi and the female aurtuos again cant get it lol. Iam definetly looking at kenyi some or both gender. Quick question. My rz has been more agressive then normal and i checked my water it was on the hotter side then normal could that be the reason my rz has been more dominat than normal?

This is of course my opinion, but I don't think that the water temp. would make it more aggressive. If anything it would be less aggressive.
It could be that your RZ is just getting more mature and the aggression is part of who he is. But how high are we talking?
I love my Kenyi, if I'd known about them earlier, I would have chosen a few more pairs. When I upgrade to a 90g tank I plan on adding more of them to my stock.

37240-albums1604-picture10908.html
The temp. was 80 f and it jumped up 4 degrees so it was a really a stupid question. So I wanted to see what you all think about my tank let me know and I will add a kenyi (of course if it sits well with you guys)

Sorry I'm still new to this so I cant upload the pics sorry so if you want to see the pics they are on my profile.

The temp. was 80 f and it jumped up 4 degrees so it was a really a stupid question. So I wanted to see what you all think about my tank let me know and I will add a Kenyi (of course if it sits well with you guys)
84 degrees uses up 02 faster, so he may be uncomfortable unless you have an air stone/bar. Just drop the temp down again, see what happens.
As far as adding a Kenyi, it's your tank, you should add the fish that you like. When it comes to aggressive/semi aggressive fish it's a crap shoot anyway. Even fish that are compatible could not be sometimes.
No matter how much research you do or how much thought you put into your choices, you may still get a few fish that just don't get along with the other fish in your tank.
At that point you either re-home or return them to the FS where you bought them. Which leads me to the next point. It always helps to ask before you buy, if they will take a fish back if there is some trouble. Most chains won't, but the Mom & Pop places are usually pretty good about it

The temp. was 80 f and it jumped up 4 degrees so it was a really a stupid question. So I wanted to see what you all think about my tank let me know and I will add a kenyi (of course if it sits well with you guys)

84 degrees uses up 02 faster, so he may be uncomfortable unless you have an air stone/bar. Just drop the temp down again, see what happens.
As far as adding a Kenyi, it's your tank, you should add the fish that you like. When it comes to aggressive/semi aggressive fish it's a crap shoot anyway. Even fish that are compatible could not be sometimes.
No matter how much research you do or how much thought you put into your choices, you may still get a few fish that just don't get along with the other fish in your tank.
At that point you either re-home or return them to the FS where you bought them. Which leads me to the next point. It always helps to ask before you buy, if they will take a fish back if there is some trouble. Most chains won't, but the Mom & Pop places are usually pretty good about it
I meant if it sits well meaning habitat and if you guys thought the tank was well suited and the place i go does allow returns.

I meant if it sits well meaning habitat and if you guys thought the tank was well suited and the place i go does allow returns.
How many fish and what kind do you have in the 29g tank? And how well can you set up hiding places and territory for each fish?
If I remember correctly a 29g is taller and the width and length are kind of small. All cichlids need their space to claim for their own or you will get more aggression. And the territory size varies for each fish

I have pics on my profile picture of the tank i have an rz, lab, and one acei

I have pics on my profile picture of the tank i have an rz, lab, and one acei
IMO, I would return the RZ and add a M/F pair of Kenyi. Otherwise given the size and lay out of your tank I wouldn't add anything.
The RZ is going to want substantial territory, and given his aggression, your better off with 2 Kenyi instead of the RZ.
but again it's up to you. Which do you like better, the RZ or the Kenyi?
But if you keep the RZ don't add anything else until you get a larger tank.

Ok will wait i dont have the warranty anymore but i will start searching for a bigger tank if anyone comes across a good deal let me know

OK will wait i don't have the warranty anymore but i will start searching for a bigger tank if anyone comes across a good deal let me know
I see good deals all the time but they won't help you very much. I don't think you want to drive to Oregon to pick up a cheap tank. The gas alone would cost so much you could buy a new one in Co. instead.

in regards to aggression..i have a bunch of little ones..about an inch..their all fairly new to my tank...kenyi, jeweled, lab, red zebra, demasoni (i think is the spelling i just call it the blue demon), acei, i'm missing 3 more that i cannot think of...i have two that look to kick the bucket..one petsmart claimed to be a jack demsey...i know its not..it looks to much like an oscar of some sort..it was smaller and jeweled like so i was gonna give it a whirl...my point of my comment is..my bumble bee is the most agressive of them all..i keep yelling at him to stop being mean...

True I just type and dont think. What size will I need

I think until my head hurts and can't type worth ............
There are so many choices when it comes to tank size. How much room do you have? How much do you want to spend?
Avg. 55g 48L x 13W x 20H, 75g 48L x 18W x 20H, 90g 48L x 18W x 24H.
Price is all over the place. If you have patients, sometimes you can get a new one really cheap.
Or check with craigslist every couple of days. That way you can get an idea what tanks/stands are going for, so you'll know a good deal when you see one. Also check different Fish Supply sites to see what new accessories, ie. heaters, filters, cost.
Also decide what type of fish you want and how may of each.
Even if you decide on getting all Mbunas. There are a whole lot of those.
RZ, Red Top Cobalt, Cobalt Blue, Cobalt Blue Zebra, Electric Blues,Yellow labs, Kenyi, and the list goes on and on.
Go to online fish sites and print up pictures of the fish you like. Any reliable site will have a compatibility chart. They usually say, Yes, Caution, or No. Approach Yes with Caution, Caution with an unlikely, and don't even bother with the No.
Once you know what kind of fish you want and how many, you'll know what size tank you'll need. Then you'll already know what it's selling for, both new and used, because you've been checking all along.
From there it's just a matter of money.

in regards to aggression..i have a bunch of little ones..about an inch..their all fairly new to my tank...kenyi, jeweled, lab, red zebra, demasoni (i think is the spelling i just call it the blue demon), acei, i'm missing 3 more that i cannot think of...i have two that look to kick the bucket..one petsmart claimed to be a jack demsey...i know its not..it looks to much like an oscar of some sort..it was smaller and jeweled like so i was gonna give it a whirl...my point of my comment is..my bumble bee is the most agressive of them all..i keep yelling at him to stop being mean...
I was going to geet a bumble bee actually and my mom was like check out this orange one(rz) I ended up getting it. But when I researched bumble bee they were very aggressive all over the board so I'm not surprised. What sized tank do you have your mbunas in?

I think until my head hurts and can't type worth ............
There are so many choices when it comes to tank size. How much room do you have? How much do you want to spend?
Avg. 55g 48L x 13W x 20H, 75g 48L x 18W x 20H, 90g 48L x 18W x 24H.
Price is all over the place. If you have patients, sometimes you can get a new one really cheap.
Or check with craigslist every couple of days. That way you can get an idea what tanks/stands are going for, so you'll know a good deal when you see one. Also check different Fish Supply sites to see what new accessories, ie. heaters, filters, cost.
Also decide what type of fish you want and how may of each.
Even if you decide on getting all Mbunas. There are a whole lot of those.
RZ, Red Top Cobalt, Cobalt Blue, Cobalt Blue Zebra, Electric Blues,Yellow labs, Kenyi, and the list goes on and on.
Go to online fish sites and print up pictures of the fish you like. Any reliable site will have a compatibility chart. They usually say, Yes, Caution, or No. Approach Yes with Caution, Caution with an unlikely, and don't even bother with the No.
Once you know what kind of fish you want and how many, you'll know what size tank you'll need. Then you'll already know what it's selling for, both new and used, because you've been checking all along.
From there it's just a matter of money.
It's all good until it comes to money. I cant find many stores with a good varaity of mbunas in colorado that dont put a whole in my wallet. So yes for me money is the biggest issue. Ill probably go with a 55g but who knows I have a feeling the 75 g will be mine though lol Ill keep you posted with my decision.( ps I think my acei and rz are hitting sexual maturity they have made a cave and are grabbing pebble and moving them to the out side its mostly the rz he is also being very territorial of this corner as well am i correct are they getting mature ?

giggalz said:

Could you post some pics of this "Oscar"

Back
Top Bottom