Cory question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katkis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all the (fresh)fish people!

So, I was wondering could I fit 5 peppered cories with 5 pygmys in 105 litre / 27g long tank or will it be too filled?
I have little experience from cories, I got two peppered and 2 pygmys from the tank's previous owner. If I can't make two schools working I'm just going to give either pygmys or peppered away for someone who can house them better :fish1:

I've got 9 peppered Corys , 3 that were bred in the tank, and 8 Pandas. The tank is a 55g bowfront, heavily planted and probably far too many tetras. The Corys love company and never stray far from each other and both species play around together, even though the peppered are twice the size of the Pandas.
They do like a bit of cover though and like to hide away in the daytime in the shadows.
You can keep multiple kinds of Corys but they won't necessarily form shoals in the conventional sense unless you have a very large tank and a lot of one species. They just sort of 'hang around together' when it suits them.
Great fish, can't imagine my tank without them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think you are thinking of Panda Corydoras ? Peppered seem much hardier and forgiving IME

PlanetCatfish.com - Corydoras paleatus • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog

If you read in the notes on the panda Coreys you'll see several people said that they lost them if they kept them in higher temperatures.

PlanetCatfish.com - Corydoras panda • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I'm not thinking of panda cories. Though panda cories also require cool temps. Peppered are hardy, but they'll have shorter lifespans if kept at higher temps permanently. They only live 5 years or less in higher temps, while they can live 15-25 years if kept correctly.

Thanks for the answers everyone!
I'm probably going to give the pygmys away, already had one person who was interested of adopting them and only take pack of peppered corys.
I'm glad that people here answer really fast and are so helpful!

I think that should be fine, just make sure to test for ammonia and nitrates somewhat frequently to make sure the bioload is being taken care of. I really love Cories (the peppered are my favorite) and a species tank with them would look amazing.
Good Luck!

[update]
I decided to give away all my pygmys, found a cory enthusiastic who was more than happy to take them part of his bigger school.
So I decided to settle with only one pack of peppered corys. Didn't want to take any changes of tank being over crowded ��

Back
Top Bottom