Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sister in law ( visiting from Florida ) was checking out my tank today when she asked " what's this thing crawling around in that coral? " ,.... Huh ? Upon further investigation I discovered a small 1/2" + rusty colored heavily bodied crab with white tipped claws living amongst one of my acroporas !! Wow,... Never seen it before ,... I tried to get a picture but it's almost impossible to do at this point,... So weird to see something in your tank that you know you didn't put there,..I'm sure it must have been a hitchhiker on some coral or rock that I added along the way .
Kinda makes you wonder what the heck else is in there ? Pretty cool to see after having a crappy day up to that point.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think I saw once that a reef has more life per square foot than anywhere else on earth. I found that doing macro photography on the reef was more fascinating than taking pictures of the big fish. Everything is alive. That's why I am a reefaholic, our tanks are doing the same thing.

I was really fascinated snorkeling last month looking at the same thing you're talking about ..., I came over the top of this large rock and was mesmerized by all the little tiny creatures that 99.99 % of everyone would have passed by ., the more you looked the more you saw ,.. But it's kind of hard to focus on something like that when a two foot long rainbow colored parrot fish swims by and gives you the stink eye

I was a dive master for a while and did a bit of underwater photography instruction. As they rest of the group paddled around chasing those parrot fish, we would settle to the bottom, pick a spot and wait. If you slowed down your breathing, stuff would magically appear. An amazing assortment of critters. What's even weirder is I have a pathological hatred of bugs. But I don't react that way to the sea life. My wife tells me I am complicated.

Some of those moray pictures I posted took up to an hour to get as I coaxed the eel out with a bit of fish. While patiently waiting you can't count the number of different tiny things you see.

As to the stink eye, he probably didn't approve of your color or body shape. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
I was a dive master for a while and did a bit of underwater photography instruction. As they rest of the group paddled around chasing those parrot fish, we would settle to the bottom, pick a spot and wait. If you slowed down your breathing, stuff would magically appear. An amazing assortment of critters. What's even weirder is I have a pathological hatred of bugs. But I don't react that way to the sea life. My wife tells me I am complicated.

Some of those moray pictures I posted took up to an hour to get as I coaxed the eel out with a bit of fish. While patiently waiting you can't count the number of different tiny things you see.

As to the stink eye, he probably didn't approve of your color or body shape. :)

Lol,...I get the stink eye from a lot of animals ,..human and otherwise ,...kind of gotten used to it over the years :)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE !!!!! Enjoy the good times with family and friends ,honor those who can't be with us this year ,... Peace to all !!!! ,...Dary

Happy thanksgiving Peeps.
Dary, can you spot it here?
Coral Crabs - specimen #3

From what I can actually see of him,he's got the claws and the color but he's tucked in there so tight so it's hard to get a good overall picture of him,... But I would NOT bet against it tho !!! Happy thanksgiving Douglas , eat some good food ,kick back on the couch , turn on the game,loosen the belt a notch or two ,pop a couple of ipa's and enjoy the day !

Wow.., I just realized that I haven't made a post since thanksgiving !!! I quickly glanced around and found Doug still busy with his new tank setup and masterminding yet another build.., Greg our resident mad scientist as always is down in his lab experimenting with new equipment trying to perfect that perfect mouse trap.
Me ..? As alluded to a couple of months ago, have been busy trying to build " my trike" ,... This has taken the majority of my money and free time , unfortunately, I haven't spent the quality time needed on my tank,.. A couple of somewhat surprising observations,..and a couple of rookie mistakes due to poor tank time allotment have resulted in a loss of a few corals but overall 95% of everything else has done beautifully ,.. Some great growth on my monti's and other some other corals too.
Overall I'm quite pleased with the progress despite myself. Hopefully , I can put up a couple of progress pictures of the trike so far,..starting from what it looked like when I started to a rolling chassis , still awaiting a few parts and a little more fabricating on my part to get it on the road as is and then we rework the front fork assembly :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421282030.468825.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421282148.176394.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421282166.575007.jpg

Looking good, makes me wish it weren't in the low double digits here in Pa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom