Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As some of you may know a couple of years ago or so I bought a " spartan " rodi outfit from brs , basically it's a glorified version of their standard Rodi unit, it's a much larger unit that takes a longer filter elements (20 " ) instead of the standard 11 inch (?) ones ,
As you may recall ,I had nothing but trouble trying to get these canisters from leaking horribly , a couple of calls to brs brought a couple of new canisters which leaked just as badly , somewhere in the design or manufacturing either the o- rings or the canisters didn't match up , I ended up using silicone grease ,handmade o- rings and way too much force trying to get these seated so they wouldn't leak, long story short ,i finally managed to get all the canisters seated ,... when ever it came time to change out a filter it required disassembling the unit and working up a sweat trying to reinstall things ,.. needless to say it's been a real pain you know where, BRS no longer carries this unit anymore ,surprise,surprise !
A few days back I discovered a newly designed unit that someone really seemingly did their home work on designing it . I honestly don't know how long this unit has been on the market but after seeing it I ordered one ,.. omg it is the easiest filter changing unit ever , you simply stick the new filter into the sleeve and twist it a 1/4 turn., you could change 5 replacement filters in under 30 seconds !!! And they do not leak !
It's called a aquaticlife twist-in rodi unit ., it comes in either a three or four stage unit, I opted to buy the three stage unit and added a dual set of deionnizing canisters .
Today I removed the old " spartan" unit with very dirty elements and installed the aquaticlife unit ,... I cannibalizes the pressure gauge and the in/out tds gauge and adapted them to the new system.
I ordered about a two year supply of replacement filters also ,.. I took a few pictures of the install, "catfish Charlie " was helping out as much as he could until he pooped out ,...only time will tell how this unit will perform but I for one am very impressed with the simplicity and design
IMG_0453.JPGIMG_0456.JPGIMG_0457.JPGIMG_0463.JPGIMG_0467.JPG

Looks like a really nice rodi system. The canisters look really small. How long are they?

IMG_1481312854.476877.jpg they're about 10 " long +- but remember that the whole canister is disposable so you don't have that large plastic housing to deal with ... they say approx 6 months for the sediment and carbon filters and a year or so on the membrane canister .,, the Di is when they change colors as normal ... same thing more or less with the normal BRS type units... Greg ., yes ol'catfish Charlie did a lot of the work :)

LOL @Catfish Charlie! He's a cute little bugger. That rodi system looks nice, and simple. How many GPD will it do?

LOL @Catfish Charlie! He's a cute little bugger. That rodi system looks nice, and simple. How many GPD will it do?

They say the unit is 100 GPD so that's right up there with the rest of'em,.... re catfish Charlie ,.. don't let his cuteness fool you,...he's crazy !!! IMG_0448.jpg

Tell Zoe to have dad pick up one ,.i think he'd like it . , another cool feature is that you can replace the filters even if the unit is running without it leaking either ...

Today was my pwc day ,... I already had about 15-20 gallons of make up water previously made last week by the old and now retired " spartan" rodi unit ,... I know the water isn't as pure as it should be by a long shot due to overdue neglected filter replacements but after this water change I'm officially on my new aquaticlife twist in system,...I ended up making up about 30 + gallons of make up and ato water with the new system today ,..everything went smoothly and I'm already totally committed on this new setup . , I accidentally dropped my tds meter into a pan of water and it didn't like that very much ( don't ask ) , I tried drying it out and kinda got it to work again but like someone who's been kicked in the head by a horse ,..it ain't right ,....I ended up ordering a new unit via BRS today and they say this one is pretty waterproof ,... :-/

Back
Top Bottom