Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear Dary. Getting old sucks. But sounds like she's doing better. Our reefs have to play second fiddle every now and then. I ignored mine for about three years during its 25 year life. It hung in there and I was able to resurrect it when I felt better. I did minimal things to keep it alive, so it wasn't a disaster as the cleanup and tear down was far more work than I could have sustained then.

Remote video monitoring is something we have done in my company for decades. If I find time I will write a short tutorial and review over on my thread.

In short. If you want to actually see into the tank with good resolution, I suggest the following in importance.

Good resolution (1080p) requires a high bitrate internet connection. Your not interested in this case with the download speed, but the upload speed, as that is what your camera will use to connect with your phone or remote computer. To get good frame rates, the more the better. You need at least 1mbps to send even slow frame rate 1080p video. You can have a $10,000 camera system on a slow internet connection and have garbage. I'm on fiber so I have 800mbps upload speed available and my video looks deluxe at 10mbps. So check on your internet provider as that is the bottle neck for higher quality remote viewing.

Then you need a good internet ready camera, with pan tilt if you want to set the camera closer to the tank and still see all of it. 1080p if you have the right internet connection. 720p if your somewhat limited.

The built in IR leds used at night are worthless as they reflect and are useless. But you can buy inexpensive IR leds you can place in the over head that are invisible to the naked eye, but light the tank up fine. B&W only. Low light color camera sensors are $$$$.

Lots of cameras available and many free apps to monitor them.
Foscam makes a lot of lower cost HD cameras. They go up in cost and quality from there. The easy "no router programming" cameras are popular but sometimes a bit overpriced if you understand the network basics. They will connect you to their website that then connects you to your camera. The alternative requires some basic network skills and maybe even a "static IP address." More on that later.

Hope that was helpful, hope your mom is okay. 93? My heavens that's a accomplishment.

Last edited:
Dary, so sorry to hear about your mom. She sounds like a hoot though[emoji16]. Had my own challenges this last week. We had 80 mph winds last Wednesday that knocked out power to 100,000+ residents, me included. With 20 degree temps outside it was scary to go 48 hours without power and two reef tanks. Thankfully, a client of mine loaned me his 7kW generator. I kept flow and heat on both tanks and was able to run my furnace. The important things. Scared me enough that I think my next aquatic purchase is a whole house generator. Again, glad your mom is doing better.

Sorry to hear Dary. Getting old sucks. But sounds like she's doing better. Our reefs have to play second fiddle every now and then. I ignored mine for about three years during its 25 year life. It hung in there and I was able to resurrect it when I felt better. I did minimal things to keep it alive, so it wasn't a disaster as the cleanup and tear down was far more work than I could have sustained then.

Remote video monitoring is something we have done in my company for decades. If I find time I will write a short tutorial and review over on my thread.

In short. If you want to actually see into the tank with good resolution, I suggest the following in importance.

Good resolution (1080p) requires a high bitrate internet connection. Your not interested in this case with the download speed, but the upload speed, as that is what your camera will use to connect with your phone or remote computer. To get good frame rates, the more the better. You need at least 1mbps to send even slow frame rate 1080p video. You can have a $10,000 camera system on a slow internet connection and have garbage. I'm on fiber so I have 800mbps upload speed available and my video looks deluxe at 10mbps. So check on your internet provider as that is the bottle neck for higher quality remote viewing.

Then you need a good internet ready camera, with pan tilt if you want to set the camera closer to the tank and still see all of it. 1080p if you have the right internet connection. 720p if your somewhat limited.

The built in IR leds used at night are worthless as they reflect and are useless. But you can buy inexpensive IR leds you can place in the over head that are invisible to the naked eye, but light the tank up fine. B&W only. Low light color camera sensors are $$$$.

Lots of cameras available and many free apps to monitor them.
Foscam makes a lot of lower cost HD cameras. They go up in cost and quality from there. The easy "no router programming" cameras are popular but sometimes a bit overpriced if you understand the network basics. They will connect you to their website that then connects you to your camera. The alternative requires some basic network skills and maybe even a "static IP address." More on that later.

Hope that was helpful, hope your mom is okay. 93? My heavens that's a accomplishment.

Funny,..I just installed a foscam the other day !!! I love it , after seeing this icecap cam in ' action ' I'm going scuttle that idea for now and order another foscam and place it directly across the room from the tank,..super sharp looking video and ya gotta love the pan and tilt ,and it's a third the price !

I wonder how Doug is. He bought a AR-15, got a girl friend (not in that order) and disappeared! Went rogue. I miss him.

Funny too,cuz I was wondering the same thing a month or so ago so I contacted him , he says he was just tired of the whole reef thing and managed to get rid of everything , says a buddy of his has multiple reef systems and his electrical bill is out of this world , he also said IF he ever did a reef again he'd do the cow trough idea but otherwise he sounded fine ,.. I loved his abrupt approach to things here, he was very knowledgeable and informative , add that with a little fun to mess with on occasion too ,...hope he returns one day

Dary, so sorry to hear about your mom. She sounds like a hoot though[emoji16]. Had my own challenges this last week. We had 80 mph winds last Wednesday that knocked out power to 100,000+ residents, me included. With 20 degree temps outside it was scary to go 48 hours without power and two reef tanks. Thankfully, a client of mine loaned me his 7kW generator. I kept flow and heat on both tanks and was able to run my furnace. The important things. Scared me enough that I think my next aquatic purchase is a whole house generator. Again, glad your mom is doing better.

Wow,...good thing for your buddy coming thru with the generator !!!

Sorry to hear about your mom Dary. I hope she gets better soon. She sounds like a real pistol.

Thank you barb ,...the hospital called me last nite at 9pm ( scared the you know what outta me ) but , they just wanted to let me know that they were taking her out of icu and transferring her to a regular room !!! :)

Thank you barb ,...the hospital called me last nite at 9pm ( scared the you know what outta me ) but , they just wanted to let me know that they were taking her out of icu and transferring her to a regular room !!! :)

Boy Dary that would have scared me to. Late night calls like that are usually never good. I'm glad they had good news for you though.

I got home this afternoon and 1/2 my tank seemed to have slightly cloudy water ,..really kinda strange. Of course you immediately go into a slight panic mode trying to figure what is going on ,...I quickly checked all the water parameters and everything was status quo ...checked this and that ,... even possibility of just dirty glass,..l finally got down to changing out the carbon ( to the good stuff) and within a few minutes the water was clear agin and everything seems happy and content ,...yet another reef mystery I assume ,..hmmmmm

99% of the time I use the brs premium rox 0.8 carbon,...the stuff I just replaced was just a fill in until I got my good stuff from brs

I ran carbon for decades. Then about a year ago I stopped. I have a heavily mixed tank but saw no difference in water clarity or growth. I know it has benefits but in my case they aren't obvious.

Your issue could have been sediment disturbed by a fish, bacterial bloom, or even calcium precipitation from dosing. Glad the carbon got it.

I thought about the calcium but I dose next to nothing and the level was a little low anyways,..sediment disturbed is what I finally decided was the issue (?) because it was only on the one side of the tank and whatever it was is gone and now out of mind ,....I was thinking about you the other day ,...I ordered my first drone ,.my brother and I thought it'll be neat to have one on our next trip to Hawaii ,I've put a deposit on a beautiful secluded house overlooking a cliff and the pacific .

Isn't matrix simply porous media for bacteria to grow in? I don't see where it would be of benefit to those of us who meet the 1lbs per gallon rule when it comes to our tanks.

Cool. Enjoy it and fly safely.View attachment 296952

I just remember how wonderful your videos were from your last vacation ,...not that I could ever match that ,but we just wanted to try our hand on it anyways ,... admiringly,not being versed on the whole drone endeavor I'm kinda flying ( no pun intended ) blind here ,...I ordered a DJI 3 bundle containing everything to get started ,...this is going to be weird :)

Back
Top Bottom