Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The DJI app has a simulator built in. Practice with it or a $50 drone to get the feel. The Phantoms are all GPS controlled which makes flying simpler, but getting oriented properly is important. I mostly fly DJI, have a Matrix, Inspire Pro and my favorite, the Mavic Pro. But I've been flying RC since I was 15. Got my part 107 drone license. That was interesting.

You won't have a problem with that. It's staying oriented with the aircraft and not clipping that tiny twig that you were sure you were clear of.

Get familiar with the hobbies regulations so you don't get in trouble. You as a hobbiest can do things I'm not allowed as a commercial pilot. Like fly at night. But you must stay 5 miles from airports and have your drone in sight at all times. And flying over crowds is prohibited unless they are in cars or under roofs.

Always take your drone as carry on baggage. You will also want to order some ND (neutral density) filters. Basically sunglasses for the camera to keep your shutter speeds down in tropical sunshine.

Taking my Mavic to Cozumel end of May on a dive trip.

Last edited:
I'll be like a newbie to the saltwater aquarium world here with this thing,..I'm sure I'll make a lot of blunders and errors before I " get it" right ,... that's why I decided to buy it now so we'll have months to tinker with it before Hawaii ,...I figured I could talk to you about it :)

Greg ... just had my first successful drone flight ., once I figured everything out and got things linked and calibrated the flying part was pretty easy .. I'm impressed !
Tankwise , everything seems stable and flourishing ., it's amazing how much nori that powder blue tang can eat , he will not eat the mysis but will occasionally eat a few pellets , all in all no complaints

Congrats. They are very easy to fly, but don't let that lure you into complacency. Learn to fly in Atti mode because if the IMU or GPS gets wierd, you want to be able to turn off automation and fly it home.

I flew 7000 hours of fixed wing, some of that on autopilot, but I made darn sure I had no issues making a IFR approach without it.

Glad your tank is doing well. I got my alk back up. These large SPS colonies absorb a huge amount of calcium.

Last edited:
Wow!!! You got a few bucks tied up in those drones ,... totally cool tho, I could see how you could get caught up into their technology and just the pleasure of flying them... yes ,after I get some more time flying under my belt I'll try flying via the hands on approach ,... sounds like you got your tank under control and thriving ,.. when are you going to pop bozo in ???? At 300 gallons do you think he'll still be a bully or are you hesitant about him tearing up the tank ? These are a couple of my first drone pictures of where I live Image1491311835.619632.jpgImage1491311849.135217.jpgImage1491311871.950236.jpg

Poor bozo.... he seems to be kind of an outcast..... just how many drones do you own ? I'd love to own the mavic Pro one day

Nice flying there Dary. Looks like you were up there pretty high. They look really fun to fly.

I believe I took pictures at 276 feet ,.... Greg's the guy here ,.. he's driving a lambo ..I'm peddling a bicycle !!! Really a trip tho .... can't wait to check out some snorkel areas in Hawaii .

I have two gps drones and a half dozen cheap practice drones. I love the Mavic as it's so easy to travel with.

Bozo is staying where he is until I can build a temporary cage for him in the main reef. Catching him will mean I have to tear down the frag tank as he is lightening fast.

Did I share our firework show with you? Shot in the air with the Inspire, my son and I put on a show using over the counter fireworks (a lot of them) and build a show for our farm party every year. This was one continuous show. There are a couple of edits in the video where I checked focus on the camera. Drone flew pretty much by itself.

https://youtu.be/nrcCpet3LrI

Last edited:
Did I share our firework show with you? Shot in the air with the Inspire, my son and I put on a show using over the counter fireworks (a lot of them) and build a show for our farm party every year. This was one continuous show. There are a couple of edits in the video where I checked focus on the camera. Drone flew pretty much by itself.

wow,....i could see where it would be a useful tool for taking videos like that,... out here you would be arrested and brought up on charges for even possessing a firecracker :lol:.... i see a mavic in my future tho.
how big is the frag tank where bozo rules now ?

All I can say is Wow! Greg. That was really awesome. I could never do that either without being thrown in jail. It might just be worth it though to get a video like that.

All legal fireworks in our state and fired on my private property well away from the city.

Bozo is in a 6' long 120 gallon. He is currently about 3" long, so he's not cramped yet.

Sounds like one way or another bozo will have a good home ,wether it be the frag tank or the monster tank ,... out here in california you just about gotta have a license to lite a match let alone set off a hundred pounds of fireworks just to watch it blowup,..I guess it's all a compromise ,we have the ideal weather but pay up the gazoo for gasoline and about everything else imaginable .
Oh well,home is home

Back
Top Bottom