Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffy said:
Let me do a little research about skimmers. What would you replace it with and why do you want to sell? I'm not in a hurry right now either. lol, So if when you are an I have forgotten get a hold of me and remind me. I have mush for remember stuff these days.

I'm upgrading to a bubble magus for my 210g

I also can say that iam pretty happy with the eshopps skimmer i just bought a new one and it has been doin very well not to mention the price of 200 bucks...

Feelthereefer said:
I also can say that iam pretty happy with the eshopps skimmer i just bought a new one and it has been doin very well not to mention the price of 200 bucks...
IMO ., for the $$ the eshopps are hard to beat.., they perform very well from what I've seen and heard

I also LOVED my remora. :-D I have used a total of 5 skimmers and my eshopps is my favorite followed by the remora. Mine pulled awesome amounts of thick nasty skimmate, maybe I'm just lucky??
Maybe mine was just flawed. It would take over a week to get an inch in the cup and it was on a dirty tank.

I wasn't expecting much from my eshopps skimmer but it has surprised me. I get a good cup of nasty death smelling gunk every other day or so. For $100 I just couldn't beat it. I'm actually considering another one for my 60g tank.

needmorecowbell said:
.. Mine smells like crappy saltwater.. Nothing deadly though lol.

If you're not getting something that'll make you heave on your shoe's than u might need a better skimmer... :)

Dary421 said:
If you're not getting something that'll make you heave on your shoe's than u might need a better skimmer... :)

Crappy smelling water is what I call a clear, or light skim. It is fouled water, but just not concentrated enough yet. Keep the bubble rise tube clean as you can, use a bottle brush every other day as it works best when it is spotless. Be sure you are getting good foam and that the riser is adjusted to place what I call the foam break (place where the tiny bubbles coalesce into the larger bubbles) about midway in the throat of the riser. Some skimmers adjust differently and have control over both input water flow as well as air flow, but the basics are the same, to stack bubbles and concentrate the larger organic bearing bubbles over the top into the collection cup. Light yellow water is a medium skim and darker, browner water is a heavy skim. As a skimmer "breaks in" it is just getting the bubble "stack" organized to start the process to lifting those organics out of the system on the surface of the bubbles. The giant ones at water treatment plants and public aquariums work the same way...just amped way up.

mr_X said:
Maybe mine was just flawed. It would take over a week to get an inch in the cup and it was on a dirty tank.

Must have been cause i get a cup full of green goo daily. I hear the got better when they started using the maxijet 1200 pumps

That's what my unit had, and that's another reason why I think you could do a lot better. Most of the skimmer is the pump. the rest is just a chamber. A maxijet is not a "heavy hitter" in the world of skimmer pumps.

mr_X said:
That's what my unit had, and that's another reason why I think you could do a lot better. Most of the skimmer is the pump. the rest is just a chamber. A maxijet is not a "heavy hitter" in the world of skimmer pumps.

Certainly any Venturi style system needs a pump with strong head pressure.

Since the topic is skimmers. This is the reef octopus diablo 2500 skimmer that mr x recommended to me. It has been one week with fish and this is what it looks like when it's set to dry skim. Can the experts tell me If it's working good? This is my first in sump skimmer.

,.... It's been a long time since I've had to actually cry out to the community for help BUT for the last four or five days my tank's water has turned from crystal clear to rather murky looking ( basically overnite) and I do not know why ,....water parameters have remained fairly stable, nothing dead ,no new equipment etc,.....I've done a couple of water changes this week but she's still kinda murky....waters at 1.026 ,...calcium at 420..,,alk 10.5 phos 0.08 nitrates 2.0 ,....everything looks healthy but just murkier than it should be ,...any ideas ???

Back
Top Bottom