Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dary421 said:
,.... It's been a long time since I've had to actually cry out to the community for help BUT for the last four or five days my tank's water has turned from crystal clear to rather murky looking ( basically overnite) and I do not know why ,....water parameters have remained fairly stable, nothing dead ,no new equipment etc,.....I've done a couple of water changes this week but she's still kinda murky....waters at 1.026 ,...calcium at 420..,,alk 10.5 phos 0.08 nitrates 2.0 ,....everything looks healthy but just murkier than it should be ,...any ideas ???

Algae bloom?Do you run a uv sterilizer?

Ricksreef said:
Algae bloom?

That was my first thought but what would cause that to happen so suddenly??? ,...it's been sooo clear for so long,.. I'm currently already running a reactor for the phosphates,..and have basically changed nothing as far as equipment ,lighting etc,...she's a little better since my last pwc ( an hour ago ) but it's got me a little stumped.

My best guess is;

A coral could have release something

A organism(s) in your substrate sent up a plume ( I see these often in my tank, some kind of worm, looks like a little volcano)

You had a temporary bacterial bloom from something that died off.

Calcium reaction, something chemically changed that caused some calcium to precipitate out.

You forgot to put your glasses on today and everything is fuzzy.

The tank glass has lost its clarity and is becoming opaque...check for warranty.

A fish in your tank is tired of you spying on him all the time and thru extreme cleverness he has aquired a tiny can of spray paint and is applying it at night while you sleep...okay, that one is probably not the cause.

It will just go away is my best guess...you might run a poly filter for a while.

Gregcoyote said:
My best guess is;

A coral could have release something

A organism(s) in your substrate sent up a plume ( I see these often in my tank, some kind of worm, looks like a little volcano)

You had a temporary bacterial bloom from something that died off.

Calcium reaction, something chemically changed that caused some calcium to precipitate out.

You forgot to put your glasses on today and everything is fuzzy.

The tank glass has lost its clarity and is becoming opaque...check for warranty.

A fish in your tank is tired of you spying on him all the time and thru extreme cleverness he has aquired a tiny can of spray paint and is applying it at night while you sleep...okay, that one is probably not the cause.

It will just go away is my best guess...you might run a poly filter for a while.

Greg..... As always ,.some good useful information wrapped up in some clever humor ( BS) .. I'll keep an watchful eye on things ,... Thank you,...

Dary421 said:
Greg..... As always ,.some good useful information wrapped up in some clever humor ( BS) .. I'll keep an watchful eye on things ,... Thank you,...

What is information without some (BS)? Maintaining a ocean in a box perched in your family room is not a sane thing to do anyway.

Gregcoyote said:
What is information without some (BS)? Maintaining a ocean in a box perched in your family room is not a sane thing to do anyway.

True,..let alone having to become a self appointed scientist , veterinarian ,plumber,biologist , carpenter and chemist,..no wonder why I can't figure this out

Well.., whatever it was that had clouded up my water for the last week has all but disappeared .., thank goodness !! .. I'll probably never know for sure what it was or what caused it ,but it just goes to show you that it's a fragile little world that we bring into our living rooms.., hopefully it was just a passing thing .., but for now ., all's well again

Attachments

• image-3830714266.jpg
    image-3830714266.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 119
needmorecowbell said:
Just wondering, how big is this tank? I thought it was a 75 but that pic makes it look pretty big to be a 75.

Acrylic 135 with 45 gal sump.....the 75 was my old tank that was replaced in October

Great idea. Lmfao. That's not a waste of 20+ years of knowledge. Can I have your tank? I can be down tomorrow to pick it up, your not too far.

Omg. I'm watching something on breading cats on my local news right now. Lmfao!!! I might have to give up the sw as well.

Tried to bread a fish...no luck...bread got soggy. Tried to bread my McCaw...you can imagine how that turned out.
Dary, we have lost our minds and hijacked your thread.

Gregcoyote said:
Tried to bread a fish...no luck...bread got soggy. Tried to bread my McCaw...you can imagine how that turned out.
Dary, we have lost our minds and hijacked your thread.

Hey,..it doesn't bother me in the least,.... It's nice to be crazy every now and then,...kinda gets the giggle machine loosened up ,..sooner or later we'll come up with another serious topic and will get back on track again.

Dary421 said:
Hey,..it doesn't bother me in the least,.... It's nice to be crazy every now and then,...kinda gets the giggle machine loosened up ,..sooner or later we'll come up with another serious topic and will get back on track again.

Can we get some pictured updates I love seeing how things are progressing

Back
Top Bottom