Easiest Fish to Keep - new 55 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i agree with ejaramillo01, Yo want to add the more peacefull fish first, and then the more aggresive ones. tetras and cories are peacefull and quiet, while mollies amd gouramis are more entergetic and can be a little on the territorial side.

I'd say the Marineland Emperor Filter System, you can't go wrong with that one. it's got three kinds of filtration, biological, mechanical, and chemical. it's my favorite, and even though it's kind of pricey: 59.99 for the size you'll need, it's very good. it's ctually on sale a petco right now for 41.99.

Emporer is good, I used to have one and it worked really well. Aquaclear is also good, a 110 should do the trick for ya.

Yeah, aquaclear is good too, but don't use tetra, mine broke after two months of using it.

Tetra is what's included in Walmart kits isnt it? If so I had one and it was LOUD. Do yourself a favour and get a good quality filter cause it will save you in the long run. Emporer or AC are tops in my opinion for HOB or get a canister.

i had 2 angels in my 55 gall community tank a while ago, they did real well in my opinion, i actually sold them at profit to a japanese fella i met at the lfs, he thought they were wonderful....

sorry what im here to say..its your tank, see whats available, see what u like.. if ur really after hardy fish, fill it with platies and mollies etc, black widow tetra dont die i guess that makes em hardy

cories are very indestuctable! When i had mine, i had a huge ich infestation, i lost a ton of fsh, but my cories seemed unaffected. Just make sure you don't use aquarium salt with cories, they don't have scales and it will kill them. but other than that thei virtually bullet proof. You should go with thise guys if you want something very hardy!

Tetra is what's included in Walmart kits isnt it? If so I had one and it was LOUD. Do yourself a favour and get a good quality filter cause it will save you in the long run. Emporer or AC are tops in my opinion for HOB or get a canister.
Yes Kdpuffer, they are the ones that come with the walmart kits. i like tetra, but their filters are horrible!

absolutangel04 said:
I am going to add in here that I personally would not keep red minors with angels or rams. They can be pretty nippy, especially with the long, tempting angel fins. I wouldn't keep skirt tetras with angels either for the same reason, but some people have good luck with skirt tetras not being nippy when kept in a decently sized school.
If you like the look of the red minors, I suggest rosy tetras, bleeding hearts, bentosi tetras or somehting similar like that. :)

+1 just what I was thinking.

Can you tell the difference between sexes in young gouramis?

Also, what are the pros and cons for the Emperor 400 BIO-Wheel and the AquaClear 110?

I believe the only really valid difference is flow, the AC 110 is if I'm not mistaken rated for 500 gph and I think the emporer 400 is likely 400 gph. As far as media goes both are customizable which is a huge bonus when it comes to filtration. I had an emporer on my old 65 and it worked great, I have an AC on my 45 and it works great so it really just boils down to personal prefference. Both are quiet and reliable also, though I did prefer the emporer for ease of cleaning, you can completely dismantle the thing and get everything clean where as the AC is a little more difficult.

Ok, I want...

12 Black Neon Tetras
2 Gouramis (Gold and Blue colored)
6 Albino and/or Green Cories
6 MALE mollies

Is this ok? Any other fish I could add?
This sounds fine. You have space for a bit more if you want too. :)
I agree that 2 male gouramis may fight, but you never know with gouramis. Sometimes they do fine together, sometimes not. Its always hard to say. It would be safer to either get 1 or else get a male and female of something, but you can certainly try getting 2 and hope for the best. :) Just keep an eye out for bullying and if one gets nasty, you can always trade him in at an lfs near you.
I would add a few more cories if I was you because they are so darn cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom