Easiest Fish to Keep - new 55 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You empty 50% of your tank a week? that's alot, are you sure your not stressing your fish? I never do 25% like they say, i ussually do 30-35% of a water vhange, and that does it for me. 50%....that's way too much!
I do a PWC every three days...50% and the fish love the fresh water and so do the shrimp and snails.

Plants dont really affect nitrates until they're takin up about 65% of the tank FYI.
Plants absolutely affect nitrates. I have many tanks that have plants taking up less than 50% of the tank that run extremely low nitrates. It depends on the bio-load of the inhabitants of the tank. If you have a very low bio-load in the tank, it's possible for a smaller amount of plants to lower or even eliminate nitrates.

What are some small, hardy plants that can keep nitrates down in a 10 gallon tank? And how do you take care of them?
Fast growing stem plants are the best. Anacharis, pennywort, and hornwort are some of my fav's. These plants do grow tall, but are super easy to trim. Anacharis is like a nitrate sponge. Ferts aren't usually needed for these, but they can benefit from a liquid like Seachum Flourish or Tetra FloraPride.

siva said:
Plants absolutely affect nitrates. I have many tanks that have plants taking up less than 50% of the tank that run extremely low nitrates. It depends on the bio-load of the inhabitants of the tank. If you have a very low bio-load in the tank, it's possible for a smaller amount of plants to lower or even eliminate nitrates.

I was pointing to the fact that plants are not a replacement for lower volume water changes.

Why not? If the tank isn't planted and after a week the nitrates are at 30ppm and you then plant said tank and the nitrates then start running 5ppm after a week, why could not not do a lower volume water change if you wish? I disagree. Or if you mean plants aren't a replacement for water changes all together, I agree. Either way, your original statement that plants have to take up 65% of the tank to affect nitrates is not accurate.

siva said:
Why not? If the tank isn't planted and after a week the nitrates are at 30ppm and you then plant said tank and the nitrates then start running 5ppm after a week, why could not not do a lower volume water change if you wish? I disagree.

Plants and bacteria use up the buffeting capabilities of your tank. If these are not replaced you can have a ph crash. Plants can aid greatly but they are not a solution.

Thanks!

Ok, I have changed my mind. I now want:

12 (normal) Neon Tetras
1 Blue Gourami
(optional) 1 Gold Gourami
6 assorted MALE Mollies
6 Cory Cats

Will the fact that I now want normal Neon Tetras and not Black Neon Tetras affect the bioload on my 55 gallon tank at all?

The bio-load affect would be very minimal since both species have very small bio-loads.

Ok, how to lower nitrates? I did a 90-95% water change in my 10 gallon tank, but the nitrates only dropped to 20 ppm. Can I do another change? How much?

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, how to lower nitrates? I did a 90-95% water change in my 10 gallon tank, but the nitrates only dropped to 20 ppm. Can I do another change? How much?

Are you testing correctly?

Sorry, I am sure you said this before, but would you mind telling me what your nitrates were before you changed the water?
Yes, you can do another change if you want to, but 20 isn't so bad.

Ok. What type of filter is the best for a 55 gallon?

look at amazon for price...No Tax and you can find free shipping sometimes

Amazon.com: Emperor 400 Pro Series Bio-wheel Power Filter - Up to 90 gallon, Rite Size "E": Pet Supplies

Penguins are good too.....although no spray bar.

Marineland Penguin Power Filter, 50 to 70-Gallon, 350 GPH: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

I have the Emp 400 and the Pen 350 on my 60 gallon...Kicks but and water is crystal clear.

I do use Purgen and matrix too...and I have an Oscar

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller

SeaChem Prime

Sorry, I am sure you said this before, but would you mind telling me what your nitrates were before you changed the water?
Yes, you can do another change if you want to, but 20 isn't so bad.
Ohhh... well above 60 ppm... I know it's sad... thankfully I gave away the poop-machine Molly and 3 Zebra danios. After they were gone, I used a API Master Test Kit to test the nitrates. (This all was BEFORE I did the massive water change) I could hardly believe that my fish could survive in that amount of nitrates in the tank! If you have an API kit, you know that the red color on the card is very bad. Well, that's where my water was. I was so alarmed, I did a 90-95% water change within the next 10 minutes! (Afterwards I was randomly researching Neon Tetras, and found that it was a miracle that they survived the water quality fluctuation) The next day I tested the water and the nitrates had thankfully dropped to adequate levels. thing is, my tap water nitrates are at 0-5 ppm, so I thought, "Why doesn't my fish tank water have such low nitrates? Can I do another water change to reduce it to very healthy levels? I need to ask an experienced fish keeper." So now here I am.:banghead:

phoenixkiller said:
Ohhh... well above 60 ppm... I know it's sad... thankfully I gave away the poop-machine Molly and 3 Zebra danios. After they were gone, I used a API Master Test Kit to test the nitrates. (This all was BEFORE I did the massive water change) I could hardly believe that my fish could survive in that amount of nitrates in the tank! If you have an API kit, you know that the red color on the card is very bad. Well, that's where my water was. I was so alarmed, I did a 90-95% water change within the next 10 minutes! (Afterwards I was randomly researching Neon Tetras, and found that it was a miracle that they survived the water quality fluctuation) The next day I tested the water and the nitrates had thankfully dropped to adequate levels. thing is, my tap water nitrates are at 0-5 ppm, so I thought, "Why doesn't my fish tank water have such low nitrates? Can I do another water change to reduce it to very healthy levels? I need to ask an experienced fish keeper." So now here I am.:banghead:

Lol i told you if your dedicated you can pump out a 50% or more in less than 15 min;) lol.

It seems like your testing wrong.

A. after the 95 the trAtes wouldnt be at 20.
B. i am thinking that your fish would have been dead

Lol i told you if your dedicated you can pump out a 50% or more in less than 15 min;) lol.

It seems like your testing wrong.

A. after the 95 the trAtes wouldnt be at 20.
B. i am thinking that your fish would have been dead
I am telling you, my fish a indestructible! Can I do a 50% just to lower it a bit?

Haha! Really shake the crud out of both bottles and tell me what you get;)

Yeah, do another if you want. Also,feed very little for the next few days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom