eel with african cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
I'm just a little discouraged right now. Getting advice to remove my bumble bees and other fish. I even got dither fish and gonna get more tomorrow. I don't know man. This stinks. I'm just not feeling it right now. I save lives and put fires out, I go into Haz-Mat situations and bring people back from the dead and a fish tank is breaking me down.

Woah woah convict, dont get down man! Think about it, you have learned so much and none of these deaths have been your fault! Remember, you practically just started!! People try and put oscars in little 10gallons when they are as new to this hobby as you are. Dont get down at all, your doin great. Deaths will happen, unfortunatly, but they will happen. :)

steez said:
Don't get down man, this happens in the wild every day. These fish are natural aggressors and kill each other. It makes it hard to control for us.

If anyone should feel like a jerk it would be me. I tried to add some of those medium sized Tinfoil Barb's to my JD/Bichir tank and somehow my Bichir ate one and choked to death last night. My absolute favorite fish. Saaaaaad day..

:(

+1

That sucks about your bichir. Sorry :(

Gboy66 said:
Woah woah convict, dont get down man! Think about it, you have learned so much and none of these deaths have been your fault! Remember, you practically just started!! People try and put oscars in little 10gallons when they are as new to this hobby as you are. Dont get down at all, your doin great. Deaths will happen, unfortunatly, but they will happen. :)

Thanks for the kind words bro! Much appreciated! :)

It's so frustrating losing a fish that way too. I do everything right, and there's no aggression at all in his tank. He was happy and healthy and I do something without thinking and he chokes. UGH

Wow, sorry guys. Maybe it's the full moon or something. :( I lost one today too, to my ich outbreak.

Aww sorry Holly. How are you treating ich?

I had ich in my old Oscar's tank. I just raised the temp to 85 (slowly), added aquarium salt and was using an all natural product called "Ich Attack". It didn't require any extra PWC's. Took about 3 days for ich signs to disappear so I kept the treatment up for about 2 weeks and never had it again.

I guess the good thing that ha come out of this is we're all together, here for eachother. May sound kinda I dunno silly but we don't eachother other then maybe a face and through the forum but were here to help no matter what. We've established a bond with one and other.

And I say that's pretty good in my book.

steez said:
Aww sorry Holly. How are you treating ich?

I had ich in my old Oscar's tank. I just raised the temp to 85 (slowly), added aquarium salt and was using an all natural product called "Ich Attack". It didn't require any extra PWC's. Took about 3 days for ich signs to disappear so I kept the treatment up for about 2 weeks and never had it again.

I'm doing just heat so far. Thanks.
It's defo a weird week.

I'm doing just heat so far. Thanks.
It's defo a weird week.

The salt helps fight the single celled parasites (ich is single celled).

I dunno if heat will really do much alone, it just speeds up ichs process.

I guess the good thing that ha come out of this is we're all together, here for eachother. May sound kinda I dunno silly but we don't eachother other then maybe a face and through the forum but were here to help no matter what. We've established a bond with one and other.

Agree'd. You don't really have to be next to someone to see their good nature as a person. I thank everyone who contributes to friendly conversation! It makes this forum a great place to be apart of

Convict2161 said:

It's good having someone understand when a fish dies. :) everyone I know thinks I'm crazy!

Convict2161 said:

Much agreed! :)

steez said:
The salt helps fight the single celled parasites (ich is single celled).

I dunno if heat will really do much alone, it just speeds up ichs process.

At high enough salinity it kills it.
I pasted this from here: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984), [1]
:)

Well I don't think any of you are crazy and I'm thankful I have you here to share my experiences with. Thanks again for just.... Well just being you!! :)

Back
Top Bottom