Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Fish,I received the maxmix today&to be honest I am severely dissapointed with the reactor along with the included parts...

20L Mafia...

Is it not working well? I was planning on not using the adapters and just clamping it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it not working well? I was planning on not using the adapters and just clamping it up.

Be carefully using the clamps,slightly overtightening will crack the already brittle plastic..can be difficult to get the trapped air out of the cylinder too..

20L Mafia...

Be carefully using the clamps,slightly overtightening will crack the already brittle plastic..can be difficult to get the trapped air out of the cylinder too..

20L Mafia...

Thanks for the head up! I saw on your thread how it frustrated you. It's just one of those days I guess. Let me know if you end up doing anything else with it. I'll still give it a shot and report back.

In other news, the fish seem to be doing fine at the moment. I'm glad I avoided disaster.

Thanks for the head up! I saw on your thread how it frustrated you. It's just one of those days I guess. Let me know if you end up doing anything else with it. I'll still give it a shot and report back.

In other news, the fish seem to be doing fine at the moment. I'm glad I avoided disaster.

Good deal bro,glad you didn't lose any of your feesh!

20L Mafia...

20L Mafia...

+1. In my case, it was the expensive ones that took the hit. Yea, the first few days after an adjustment can be a pain. Err on the conservative side.

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

20L Mafia...

Thanks! One of my Harlequins almost saw the white light, but I did the water change just at the right time.

+1. In my case, it was the expensive ones that took the hit. Yea, the first few days after an adjustment can be a pain. Err on the conservative side.

Yes, being conservative and adjusting for a couple days sounds like a nice plan. If this reactor works, I doubt that I'll have to use a high bps.

If it happens again, theres no need to do a water change. Just ripple the water either with a filter outlet or your hand. Its amazing how fast co2 off gases

My CO2 regulator reads at 600 psi. How many more days or weeks of CO2 would you guys think that I have left so I can plan accordingly?

I fill the tanks when they get below 500..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I fill the tanks when they get below 500..

Good practice Brookster speaks of...nothing worse than having a long day at work only to find your co2 tank empty...a backup tank goes a long way to easing the concern of running on empty..

20L Mafia...

Good practice Brookster speaks of...nothing worse than having a long day at work only to find your co2 tank empty...a backup tank goes a long way to easing the concern of running on empty..

20L Mafia...

+1 on the backup tank (I need to get one). My tanks reads about 750 psi until a day or two before it empties out. Then it rapidly drops to zero.

I keep 2 filled 20oz. Tanks on hand at all time. I have the adapter when the the 5# needs a fill.

I keep about 6 spare full co2 fire extinguishers. Im ok for gas for years

The idea of a second CO2 tank does sound tempting. I forgot the picture update, so I'll provide one tomorrow. All plants are doing well, except the Ludwigia sp. 'red' is having a little trouble adjusting. I read on an old TPT thread that others have encountered this.

Ugh! I keep forgetting the picture update. I'll make sure to provide one on Saturday when I hook up the reactor and do a big filter/tank cleaning.

I'm thinking about adding Otos to my tank. I don't have a ton of algae for them to graze on, but I could provide some veggies and algae wafers. How many Otos would you guys recommend for them to be comfortable? I'll be giving my tetras to a friend here in a couple weeks to free up some space for new fish additions.

4-5 otos should fit nicely in there. I've seen mine graze on algae pellets and wafers. I believe they enjoy the biofilm as well.

4-5 otos should fit nicely in there. I've seen mine graze on algae pellets and wafers. I believe they enjoy the biofilm as well.

Nice! Those, along with the Panda Garra, should make a nice tag team. The Panda Garra graze more on my Java Fern, driftwood, and glass than the other plants. I also watched some Oto videos on YouTube, and I think I'm hooked now haha!

Update: Some small changes are coming to the tank. Basically, I'm going to move the spray bar closer to the middle left side of the tank, and the powerhead will be moved to the right side of the tank. This is mainly due to the fact that the powerhead attracts the Cyperus' leaves, which is hurting the plant. I also feel like more flow around the driftwood should deter algae better. Also, I'll be performing a filter cleaning, an impeller swap for the filter, and putting the Ista Max Mix into place tomorrow.

Update: Some small changes are coming to the tank. Basically, I'm going to move the spray bar closer to the middle left side of the tank, and the powerhead will be moved to the right side of the tank. This is mainly due to the fact that the powerhead attracts the Cyperus' leaves, which is hurting the plant. I also feel like more flow around the driftwood should deter algae better. Also, I'll be performing a filter cleaning, an impeller swap for the filter, and putting the Ista Max Mix into place tomorrow.

Cool,hope the maxmix works out proper for you Fish...only thing I can add is that the larger model would allow for increased dwell time,otherwise that's about it...
Best of luck Feesh!

sit in silence...

Cool,hope the maxmix works out proper for you Fish...only thing I can add is that the larger model would allow for increased dwell time,otherwise that's about it...
Best of luck Feesh!

sit in silence...

Thanks, tiger! I was hesitant to buy the larger version since my filter's GPH wasn't in the range for it. I've read some success stories with my filter and the medium Max Mix, so hopefully it works for me too (fingers crossed!).

Back
Top Bottom