Glowlights vs black phantom tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you dead set on one of these?

My phantoms kinda kick it solo and just sit in one spot of the tank. So since your main concern is activeness I wouldn't recommend them.

After rummy nose my second favourite tetra is the cardinal for activeness.

My glow tetras are pretty poor at schooling As well. They just mix with the neons. And swim very mellow like.

So out of looks I would say get phantoms

Activeness I think my glows are a little better.

About the size, glows get just as big as phantoms however they do have a little larger fins.

I can't speak for all black phantoms but mine are probably the least active fish in the tank. If you zoom in on the red rock you can see a little blob which is one of them, and that's where he stays for like at least 5 minutes at a time.

Attachments

• image-4285014957.jpg
    image-4285014957.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 69
I don't have one of those ones so I have no idea :/

My fish store has some really awesome tanks and they really like to combine rummy's with cardinals cause of their schooling property's and activeness.

I have glowlight tetras and they hang around together. I think they are more shoaling fish then schooling. They like the clear swimming space about the driftwood in the middle of my tank and all hang out there.

Neons look like cardinals but cartldinal Is a lot nice shining and swimming. Neons swim a lot like glow tetra, like she said above.

The rest that you mentioned I have no idea.

It just seems like the glowlights would get lost in a tank this big, unless they are very active

Nono they will not get lost, they stay in open areas rather than near plants and decorations.

Phantoms I've noticed like to stay by plants and you may not see to often.

Glowlights are active. Maybe try to find some youtube videos of the fish you are considering to see what you think of them in action as opposed to stressed at the LFS.

I'm doing a big wc in a few hours and depending on how my levels are I'll be getting fish around 2-3. So here are my option
Bleading heart tetra
Siscortail rasbora
Ba tetra
White clouds
Neon tetras
Minor tetras
Lamp eye tetras
Glowlights
Red blue tetra
Black phantom
Silver tip
Penguin
So those are all I'm deciding between!! Lol
Question. Is it true that white clouds loose coloring if kept at 78 degrees? And what of those are the most active

I'd stay away from the bleeding hearts, as I said before, they are nice, but they're kinda big for what you're doing with your tank.
scissortails are cool looking but also can get pretty big.
white clouds do like cooler temps, but can acclimate pretty well, I don't know if they lose color.
Neons or glowlights would be what I would go with, although neons can be pretty sensitive, so they don't make a super good first fish.
The rest I don't have experience with.

Yeah didn't think so with the bleadng hearts. I'm still liking the phantoms. Any one have a give ones?

Black Phantom Tetras are incredibly hardy fish. I can't say they're the best schoolers though. Have you looked at Bloodfins?

They school relatively well. Not like neons and glow lites. But mine stick together good. Glow lites are just more sensitive to water quality. The Phantoms have been incredibly healthy little guys

Back
Top Bottom