Help! Algae!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need to wait. Setup your co2 and observe what happens in the next week or so. Changing to your new lower watt bulb was a great suggestion so do that too.
How is your water flow? By that I mean what kind of filtration do you have that moves the water?

Gboy66 said:
Hi i just started my blackout today! Should i stop?

No. A blackout is fine, especially since it's already underway. It's a worthy strategy to fight BGA. If it dies with it so much the better. It's worked for me in the past. You'll soon be switching over to co2 and a new light so a clean start can only be a win. Just remember not to run any co2 while the lights are out.

Now about your filtration... ?

CorallineAlgae said:
No. A blackout is fine, especially since it's already underway. It's a worthy strategy to fight BGA. If it dies with it so much the better. It's worked for me in the past. You'll soon be switching over to co2 and a new light so a clean start can only be a win. Just remember not to run any co2 while the lights are out.

Now about your filtration... ?

Wait, not when the lights are out...?

Filtration is what came with the aqueon 2.5 minibow:/

Wait, not when the lights are out...?

Filtration is what came with the aqueon 2.5 minibow:/

Since its DIY, you have no choice. Some people run airstones at night, because plants take in oxygen at night. i do know of people that run DIY CO2 24/7 with no problems, so its your choice.

Austin.b said:
Since its DIY, you have no choice. Some people run airstones at night, because plants take in oxygen at night. i do know of people that run DIY CO2 24/7 with no problems, so its your choice.

Soo..i CAN do it?

Also, am i supposed to raise my nitrates then?

Soo..i CAN do it?

Also, am i supposed to raise my nitrates then?

yes, you can if you'd like :)

the only way to raise nitrates is to add in something living, or dose dry? there really isnt anything else you can add in to the tank, so i guess you'd have to dose KNO3 in a dry fert.

Cool, hopefully it works.

Ehh..i dont want to do that. I just wont do my weekly PWC's:)

Mumma.of.two said:
That's not an option. That will increase the TDS in the tank. Its not healthy for Max. Dosing is the best way to go.

Diy co2 you mean? Well..how could i prevent it? If the co2 was ONLY on during lighting hours? Other people do it with no problems right, what do they do?

If you want you can PM me and I'll tell you who sells dry ferts at a very low price. For $22 you can get a dry ferts pack and you can do an EI method on this tank if you'd like? All the plants would surely appreciate it!:)

Austin.b said:
If you want you can PM me and I'll tell you who sells dry ferts at a very low price. For $22 you can get a dry ferts pack and you can do an EI method on this tank if you'd like? All the plants would surely appreciate it!:)

Haha i dont get it, would dry ferts be better?

Gboy66 said:
Diy co2 you mean? Well..how could i prevent it? If the co2 was ONLY on during lighting hours? Other people do it with no problems right, what do they do?

Leaving on the co2 at night is not a problem with a DIY setup. I only meant that it would be best to remove the co2 hose because you're doing a long blackout, and only during the blackout. Co2 only serves a purpose when the lights are on. During the normal operation of a planted tank having a DIY co2 setup bubbling away is standard practice and works just fine. When you shut down your lights for days it's best to either remove your co2 hose until the night before you plan to turn the lights back on, or simply run an air pump to keep the co2 level from getting higher than you need it.

I know this must sound confusing but it's just my advice. If someone here has done a blackout with their co2 running please chime in.

CorallineAlgae said:
Leaving on the co2 at night is not a problem with a DIY setup. I only meant that it would be best to remove the co2 hose because you're doing a long blackout, and only during the blackout. Co2 only serves a purpose when the lights are on. During the normal operation of a planted tank having a DIY co2 setup bubbling away is standard practice and works just fine. When you shut down your lights for days it's best to either remove your co2 hose until the night before you plan to turn the lights back on, or simply run an air pump to keep the co2 level from getting higher than you need it.

I know this must sound confusing but it's just my advice. If someone here has done a blackout with their co2 running please chime in.

Well, i havent started the diy co2 yet! Haha sorry i didnt clarify!

Austin.b said:
I was talking about Both CO2 and dry ferts lol

Oh!! Would that be better than liquid?? I would totally do it if it is worth it

Back
Top Bottom