Help! Algae!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OH NOOOO! bad news. The algae has become really stringy now! It hasnt spread much, but is still there. It is now hanging in long strings. What do i do now? Go ahead with diy Co2 and new bulb? Or continue the blackout?

Gboy66 said:
OH NOOOO! bad news. The algae has become really stringy now! It hasnt spread much, but is still there. It is now hanging in long strings. What do i do now? Go ahead with diy Co2 and new bulb? Or continue the blackout?

I though you got a new bulb already >.< here.
1) replace your bulb with a lower watt bulb.
2) start up your DIY CO2
3) maybe try excel spot dosing

Austin.b said:
I though you got a new bulb already >.< here.
1) replace your bulb with a lower watt bulb.
2) start up your DIY CO2
3) maybe try excel spot dosing

I did buy the new bulb, but havent turned it on yet. Okay! Excel might help? Will it hurt the shrimp? Ah i dont care about the shrimp. This algae is ruining all of your beautiful plants austin!!!

It's probably dying. Sometimes when algae dies it breaks down and gets gooey or stringy. At this point you can start to suck it out with a hose if it's soft enough. Is it getting soft or gummy?

CorallineAlgae said:
It's probably dying. Sometimes when algae dies it breaks down and gets gooey or stringy. At this point you can start to suck it out with a hose if it's soft enough. Is it getting soft or gummy?

I dont know..my hands are too big to fit through the wood and to the plants lol. So suck it out if i can?

Gboy66 said:
I dont know..my hands are too big to fit through the wood and to the plants lol. So suck it out if i can?

You bet. A little at first just to see if it comes off. If it does then you know it's dying and that means your blackout is working the way it should. If it doesn't get sucked out it may take a bit more time. Probably not much. Oh yeah!

Ok, the algae is kinda flakey? It falls of kinda easy. Should i continue the blackout?

Gboy66 said:
Ok, the algae is kinda flakey? It falls of kinda easy. Should i continue the blackout?

If your able to suck it off with airline tubing, I wouldn't continue the blackout, that's just MHO. Excel will not hurt the shrimp, just make sure to dose the correct amount and DO NOT overdose. Definitely try the DIY CO2 as soon as possible. It takes time for the recipe to actually kick in.

How long has it been? You may need another day to be sure you murdered it all. If it's falling apart and you can suck it out easily it's done for. You could setup and run your co2, add a normal dose of excel and turn the lights on in the morning.

Don't forget to rinse out your filter pads well in some clean tank water about now and again in a few days. The idea is that the algae dies, turns to goo and gets sucked into the filter and needs to be cleaned out. Sucking it out with a few normal water changes helps, too. Depending on your type of filter you want to clean your pads without messing with your bio filter media. If you use a bio sponge you clean that in tank water (as always) and clean your mechanical pads however you like or change them if its time. The dead algae should be easy to take out.

Hey, i need to buy a check valve but where can i get one?? Petco has nothing

Gboy66 said:
Hey, i need to buy a check valve but where can i get one?? Petco has nothing

I order my stuff online mostly. If you don't have a LPS then maybe try a petsmart or even walmart as a last ditch effort. Are you needing a certain type of valve?

CorallineAlgae said:
I order my stuff online mostly. If you don't have a LPS then maybe try a petsmart or even walmart as a last ditch effort. Are you needing a certain type of valve?

Nope just a regular check valve!

Gboy66 said:
Nope just a regular check valve!

Petco, petsmart, and most LFS's should have them in stock. If worst comes to worst just order one on amazon and sign up for amazon prime so you'll have it in 2 days:)

Austin.b said:
Petco, petsmart, and most LFS's should have them in stock. If worst comes to worst just order one on amazon and sign up for amazon prime so you'll have it in 2 days:)

Haha i guess. My lfs has them, but theyre expensive (for a check), like 5 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom