HELP! Kevin's New Saltwater Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to buy 1 new compact bulb. A hydrometer , salt, thermometer , a test kit. And I think I'm ready to start as long as I don't have to reseal
the tank

The manufacturer of stealth heaters is sending me a new one because of the recall

I would skip the hyrometer with the swing point and get a refractometer - I got mine for maybe $15 off e-bay. Worth it and the results are easier to read.

I'll look at them and see that may be later on. I've spent more money than my wife would like lol

Ok looked them up they are about 25$ on Ebay not bad I will probably order one

Ok I've been working on getting the tank clean. Thick layer of white stuff. Been using a razor blade and a green scotch brite pad. Is there anything I can clean the glass with will vinegar work?

Yes vinegar will work. Make sure it's plain white vinegar. I usually buy the gallon size and always have 1 or 2 on hand just because

Yeah I have a little bit left. I used most of it trying to get the white buildup off the equipment. I just wanna get the glass spotless

the white buildup I'm guessing is calcium or salt but it doesn't come off plastic. I basically has to take my knife and scrape off what I could

I got it to come off all my plastic. It I went with a heavy vinegar/water mix. And let a lot of the stuff soak in it overnight

I let it soak overnight . I'm using a razor blade and getting it off the tank. Going thru a lot of blades but its working

You should try aging like two gallons of viniger and then filling up the tank the rest of the way with water then let your power heads run for a day or two. I think it will work. What does everyone else think?

Ok hooked everything up. The skimmer pump is extremely loud the aquarium is in the bedroom so I can't deal with the noise. The outlet of the skimmer has air bubbles. There is a nipple in front of the adjustment knob. WhenI put my finger on it the bubbles go away. And where should I have the water level on the skimmer?

The pump should be in about 10" of water. Take the skimmer pump apart and make sure the impeller is seated properly and inspect the magnet. Even though I don't have much faith in the ss65, the one I ran was quiet enough.

The size shouldn't matter too much as far as sound is concerned. Generally, the recommended height of water for in sump protein skimmers is 10" or so.

Back
Top Bottom