How does my new 10 gallon iwagumi aquascape look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could I get a bamboo shrimp in here? Just 1, they just seam so cool!

Hi, several observations and comments...

No to the Bamboo shrimp if you are trying to keep a very clean place for the dwarf shrimp. Not a good combo. Filter feeders feed off lots of "stuff" and with dwarf shrimp you aren't supposed to have lots of "stuff" in the water.

Too much light at one time try putting the timer off for a two hour "Siesta", nap/ light /break in the middle of your light period.

You could use only 1/4 or 1/3 of the size wafer you put in there to feed the shrimp, including Amano. Seriously, he will love the Omnivore sinking wafers soooooo much!!! You can give him a 1/4 -1/3 of the whole wafer, they are MUCH smaller and then let the other shrimp share their own piece!

The tank looks good for design! What kind of shrimp did you get?

Hi, several observations and comments...

No to the Bamboo shrimp if you are trying to keep a very clean place for the dwarf shrimp. Not a good combo. Filter feeders feed off lots of "stuff" and with dwarf shrimp you aren't supposed to have lots of "stuff" in the water.

Too much light at one time try putting the timer off for a two hour "Siesta", nap/ light /break in the middle of your light period.

You could use only 1/4 or 1/3 of the size wafer you put in there to feed the shrimp, including Amano. Seriously, he will love the Omnivore sinking wafers soooooo much!!! You can give him a 1/4 -1/3 of the whole wafer, they are MUCH smaller and then let the other shrimp share their own piece!

The tank looks good for design! What kind of shrimp did you get?

I got RCS. Is there a reason to take a light break? Do you think I could feed them some frozen blood worms? I drop in 1/2 of the algae wafer but the RCS dont touch it, only the amano.

I got RCS. Is there a reason to take a light break? Do you think I could feed them some frozen blood worms? I drop in 1/2 of the algae wafer but the RCS dont touch it, only the amano.

You could try a tiny bit and see if they would like them, the Amano should love them, a lot!

You need the omnivore sinking wafers, all of them will like it.

The siesta is for algae. I guess algae loves long light periods, so when you break it up into short spans it messes with the algaes growth pattern so it doesn't really grow. The info was in one of my aquatic plant books.

When I set up my 37G with construction sand I started to see shades of brown diatoms, and used the siesta period and never developed into brown patches, zero, and disappeared! Since then I really believe in it. Also can see the difference in my 6.6G Edge tank. I haven't been using it since all the moving and stuff being between two houses, and I started to get green algae patches growing on my rocks now, since light was getting left on for all amounts of time from 12- 24 hours. So I am about to scrub the rocks and put on the timers again now that it is moved.

My timers went missing in the move so I am still looking for them! lol

The shrimp like cleaning the little algae patches but I don't want them to get outta control!

Just some pics of the tank:

img_2476737_0_65007a1f4b47c9ed0712a6b580523127.jpg

img_2476737_1_1f72cb3914adb8f38cf40d31a5808116.jpg

img_2476737_2_3d49989337c87df352f9d39f57944877.jpg

img_2476737_3_3f203007d2f0aca3fdd699a6fe975f4e.jpg

img_2476737_4_78dcc5ebf563828e9ad94917116de826.jpg

You could try a tiny bit and see if they would like them, the Amano should love them, a lot!

You need the omnivore sinking wafers, all of them will like it.

The siesta is for algae. I guess algae loves long light periods, so when you break it up into short spans it messes with the algaes growth pattern so it doesn't really grow. The info was in one of my aquatic plant books.

When I set up my 37G with construction sand I started to see shades of brown diatoms, and used the siesta period and never developed into brown patches, zero, and disappeared! Since then I really believe in it. Also can see the difference in my 6.6G Edge tank. I haven't been using it since all the moving and stuff being between two houses, and I started to get green algae patches growing on my rocks now, since light was getting left on for all amounts of time from 12- 24 hours. So I am about to scrub the rocks and put on the timers again now that it is moved.

My timers went missing in the move so I am still looking for them! lol

The shrimp like cleaning the little algae patches but I don't want them to get outta control!

I need to get a timer so I can try that siesta period. I feed the shrimp some algae wafers. Are these what you were talking about? Or is it the orange package?
img_2477500_0_6366db459cf0274cb0ce89b205709fbd.jpg

It seams like this grass is growing alot better under water! Its actually growing into the path so much that I had to trim it yesterday.

img_2478808_0_3f203007d2f0aca3fdd699a6fe975f4e.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag140/Misterpenguin4/null_zps039be851.jpg[/IMG

Look at all these trimmings!

Looks like you messed up that last link... Here:

img_2478812_0_ccb9071b1997281696347e37527660ff.jpg

And yeah, awesome! I noticed that my DHG started to grow a lot taller underwater, but the spreading of it is still super speedy lol. You will have a completely covered carpet in no time if not already!! Looks fantastic

Looks like you messed up that last link... Here:

And yeah, awesome! I noticed that my DHG started to grow a lot taller underwater, but the spreading of it is still super speedy lol. You will have a completely covered carpet in no time if not already!! Looks fantastic

Its getting pretty close to a full carpet. Its all starting to die off and grow back in sections because of the switch to underwater growth. Some gross kind of stringy stuff is growing on the dieing grass. Other than that its pretty good.

I need to get a timer so I can try that siesta period. I feed the shrimp some algae wafers. Are these what you were talking about? Or is it the orange package?
img_2478906_0_6366db459cf0274cb0ce89b205709fbd.jpg

Orange label, Ideal for bottom feeders Sinking Wafers...has Spirulina, Krill and Silkworm, of course more stuff too, much smaller disks.

The amanos go crazy for this, they are scavengers, not just algae eaters, and mine really went crazy when I started feeding them only algae wafers until I could get my Shrimp Cuisine. They would tear over to the shrimp when feeding the Sinking wafer food and steal the piece so fast the shrimp didn't even get to see it, and until they would get to it they would be zipping around the tank in a frenzy!!!

Just watch, see if yours go crazy for it if they have only been getting algae wafer. Maybe mine are just meat eating maniacs.

If I still put down a piece of sinking bottom feeder wafer for the dwarf shrimp and some grains of Shrimp Cuisine, they are all over at the wafer chunk and gradually get over to the shrimp food, it seems they prefer the sinking wafer, especially over the algae tab (all those are Hikari foods). They really like the Omega One Shrimp Pellets too, it has lots of good food stuff in there. Just started using those.

Also I feed other stuff to change it up for them. Used to feed blood worms, but I am allergic. Tubiflex worm, brine shrimp, an occasional kitchen food, like spinach leaf, broccoli, just started growing my own kale, though it is such a small piece. lol

img_2478928_0_dfb0b9eed2d132bdbd4af7cce5b4fec4.png

These? The one I have in the green package sink. But the RCS dont really pay much attention to them.

Just fed them some blanched zucchini. The amano went at it right away. After he was done I think I saw a RCS eating some didnt get a pic of the RCS.

img_2479267_0_4639d336b89a6036a6a3c026f2f8bdd6.jpg

img_2479267_1_9c77fd8b05c0bf3c3af64bf33a6cd020.jpg

Is there anything else I could dose? I already dose seachem excel and flourish. Im not talking those fancy dry farts that you premix. Could I also dose some API leaf zone?

Fed the amano a blood worm. He loves them.

img_2481389_0_6a5546bc9c9575237bc0ae94bf8b916e.jpg

Also just ordered 2 more amanos, 2 thai micro crabs, and 2 super tiger shrimp (asked for male and female so I could start my own colony). Pretty excited!!!

Hi, your aquarium looks great! I love the minimalist look of the zebra rocks and plants. I think the dark tank material is spendid backdrop for your fish et al.

Back
Top Bottom