How does my new 10 gallon iwagumi aquascape look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im not sure what they are. They have little tails so they are probably copepods. Is there a small fish that doesnt eat baby shrimp but will eat the copepods? Im pretty OCD so I dont like the look of them.

I agree with scotty, since copepods and newly born shrimp are both very small, a fish that would eat one would likely eat the other. These can result from overfeeding, have you looked into feeding your shrimp with a petri dish? This way no excess food particles can get in the substrate, you can simply take the uneaten food out after a couple hours.

I agree with scotty, since copepods and newly born shrimp are both very small, a fish that would eat one would likely eat the other. These can result from overfeeding, have you looked into feeding your shrimp with a petri dish? This way no excess food particles can get in the substrate, you can simply take the uneaten food out after a couple hours.

Ill have to try that. I dont have a petri dish so I will have to find something similar.

Ill have to try that. I dont have a petri dish so I will have to find something similar.

I like the idea of a petri dish of some sort (you could try those small "sauce" dishes you find at restaurants) to cut down on uneaten food. However, on the point of uneaten food and pods...
I have a vase sitting near a window and it is filled with some time of moss and it has a lot of Copepods and seed shrimp. I provide nothing in terms of food for them; don't feed the moss either yet it thrives. There are even some hydra present but there are still plenty of pods and seed shrimp.

Just wanted to say that it's neat to see how far your tank has come! I'm currently just trying to figure out a good system to keep my fish healthy and alive >.<; Maybe one day once I become more proficient I can tinker more with actually designing it to look unique/neat. Good job! (y)

img_2489296_0_13fb00586fea89cdf84ac15d9057fce9.jpg

Can anyone read Chinese?

img_2489296_1_b714aca2a13a9d6bc3c0ded440d869f8.jpg

Woohoo! Only took a month...

img_2489296_2_c0e1186dea02d9d7deeedece9d8bddc2.jpg

Took it a couple hours but it started bubbling.

I made a petri dish type thing from the bottom of a plastic cup.
img_2490351_0_f4b8ee14765ae691ed018c90fc026466.jpg

Also got some good pics of the thai micro crab.
img_2490351_1_9f60e4ab279418ba66a83f8699537b97.jpg

img_2490351_2_b08c9bfad51ff5739c5fbb176dcaf886.jpg

I tried out the little plate today.

img_2493090_0_3282de03fbc776b2760614e5447e2e46.jpg

It was working pretty good until the amano pulled both wafers out of the dish then ran away -_-

img_2493090_1_af9dbfbb7c75e77d72972c9a756c6120.jpg

Those Amanos can be thugs. One of mine walked up to an RCS and took food right out of its mouth and walked off. Unlike the RCS, they can hold their weight out of water and get about quite easily.

Those Amanos can be thugs. One of mine walked up to an RCS and took food right out of its mouth and walked off. Unlike the RCS, they can hold their weight out of water and get about quite easily.

Yea, but I like the amanos personality. But I hope they dont decide to go out for a walk.

I saw some thug amano behavior today when the smaller amano ripped a blood worm out of the hands of the super tiger after a good game of "tug of war". I got an action shot.

img_2494505_0_0283089df323e488553c438553138f98.jpg

I was thinking about getting a flower/bamboo shrimp. I have tiny particles and copepods in the water so he would get plenty of food. I know someone said thats not good for dwarf shrimp. But my params are:
Ammonia- .5-.10
Nitrate- >.5
Ph- 6.6-6.8 (I put some lime stone in the filter to raise it a little)
So the particles are not harming the water chemistry or anything.
The only problem I would see is him getting too big. Also, will he eat baby shrimp?

I was thinking about getting a flower/bamboo shrimp. I have tiny particles and copepods in the water so he would get plenty of food. I know someone said thats not good for dwarf shrimp. But my params are:
Ammonia- .5-.10
Nitrate- >.5
Ph- 6.6-6.8 (I put some lime stone in the filter to raise it a little)
So the particles are not harming the water chemistry or anything.
The only problem I would see is him getting too big. Also, will he eat baby shrimp?

I guess it is possible that the fan like appendages can scoop up baby shrimp. Idk. For those I'd probably spot feed them with a tube device of some sort. Not sure if they'd catch the pods and seed shrimp to the point to sustain them.

what do you guys think about maybe getting a single nerite snail? Also, what is a good site to get a really cool one cheap?

what do you guys think about maybe getting a single nerite snail? Also, what is a good site to get a really cool one cheap?

Msjinkzd dot com had some horned nerites for around 2.50 and some other colors/patterns, don't know how much shipping would be.

Maybe someone here has extras. Shipping is usually a lot from stores.

Bamboo shrimp could accidentally fan up a baby lets say from the tank bottom, they usually aren't supposed to be doing that. Generally have their fans out in the current. They do require stuff in the tank to filter and if you are trying to keep dwarf shrimp, you are supposed to be keeping the tank very clean. It is an opposite situation.

Also as a side note, the Bamboo Shrimp do great in a fry tank.

+1 with checked msjinkzd. Go to her site, peruse the inventory and send a message for a shipping quote.
Along with screening the current, I have seen bamboo shrimp "fan" DW and rocks for food.

Back
Top Bottom