I hope you can stand another fishless cycling log...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
libraygirl said:
Well I got nervous so I drained 90% of the water out of the tank, took out the decorations and soaked/swished them in Prime treated tap water in case anything got on them that would cause the foam/suds issue. I rinsed the tank's filter in old aquarium water (ick, turned the water a light brownish color). As the water was being siphoned out of the tank it was fizzing/bubbling as it was going into the buckets, so something was/is wrong.

I then turned on the power strip and....nothing. No power. Nothing was turning on. The power strip had gotten a bit wet so I thought it was a safety mechanism, tried a different strip and still nothing. Plugged the strip into a different outlet and it was fine. So something blew out the sockets near the tank. I used the power strip to turn everything off at once in the beginning so maybe that did it? I have no idea. So temporarily I attached two strips together to reach a second plug but it can't stay like this and I have no idea how/if I can fix the plug closest to the tank.

I think I have a fish curse.

I just finished all this and dosed a bit of ammo and will test in a bit to make sure it isn't too high. I did save some tank water to do an API kit with to test the levels prior to the large pwc but haven't tested it yet, I need a break.

If I hadn't spend so much money and time in this I would just give up. Maybe I still should. I don't know.

Give us a shout when you need anything. You're doing great. Ecos guide is all you need. Your fish will be better off for your cycling for them and not with them.

Don't quit.... did you check the circuit breaker? I recently got an Aqueon water changer and it makes pwcs a breeze. I did the bucket brigade too and it was not fun.

Yes I checked the box. Everything was on. I did reset the "plugs" breaker but didn't do the living room, where the tank is, but I figured the "plugs" one would reset all the plugs. It reset all the other plugs but this one still doesn't work. I wonder if I overloaded the outlet by having everything plugged into one outlet and one power strip? I'll have to have my landlord look at it (he doesn't know I have a tank yet lol but he let me have a cat even though his policy is no pets so I'm hoping the tank won't be a problem) I guess but until then I have two power strips connected and it looks horrid, not to mention probably not very safe. I could move the tank over to the other set of outlets but ugh I'd have to drain everything again just to move it. :facepalm: And yes I keep meaning to order an Aqueon on Amazon, I think it would help a lot. I'm starting to hate the buckets and all the lugging back and forth.

I don't think you have a curse...maybe just a real test of your patience. Keep truckin along and things should get moving. I'm still thinking the cat is somehow involved in all of this, haha.

Give us a shout when you need anything. You're doing great. Ecos guide is all you need. Your fish will be better off for your cycling for them and not with them.

I know, thanks. I would never cycle with fish again. I just meant maybe give up all together and not have fish at all. :(

libraygirl said:
I know, thanks. I would never cycle with fish again. I just meant maybe give up all together and not have fish at all. :(

You are no quitter. The plug probally has to be changed out... a dollar 50 and 10 minutes max...

I've literally talked with hundreds of people who have fishless cycled. Many people go through it without a hiccup, many make mistakes (myself included) or have different challenges along the way...but of all the people I've talked to, I've never met one who simply couldn't complete their cycle. Many take time and push our sanity to the limit...but stick with it and it'll be that much sweeter when you move your fish into a safe home :).

Thanks for the support everyone, I appreciate it.

I tested ammo again after the pwc and I think I dosed too high; it looked at least 4 if not higher, so I just did another 4 gal change and will retest soon.

Here's a pic of my tank. At least the pwc helped the cloudiness! I'm still not happy with it; the plants don't look right and I'm not sure if I like the decor (I like the vase, but it doesn't leave much room for anything else). I have quite a few decorations I liked in the store but didn't like in the tank so not sure whether I should try another of those or keep as is. I think the plants are the biggest issue, they just don't look right. Any criticism and suggestions are welcome. I want a nice home for my fish.

Also since I did such a large pwc I tested my PH and HIgh PH just to see what happens since I potentially have water issues. The PH was very dark blue, not on the chart at all. The high ph was a violet color, probably at least 8.4. It should settle back down but is this something (else) I should worry about?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00153.JPG
    DSC00153.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 64
You are no quitter. The plug probally has to be changed out... a dollar 50 and 10 minutes max...

Really? So do I just have to change out the plugs themselves? I'd probably better let my landlord do it before I burn the place down (at the rate I'm going lately it's a distinct possibility lol)

Really? So do I just have to change out the plugs themselves? I'd probably better let my landlord do it before I burn the place down (at the rate I'm going lately it's a distinct possibility lol)

It's not difficult at all to change out a plug, if you know how. But if you don't you could electrocute your self. I doubt you'd burn the house down. Still, if you've never done it before, it may be better left to the landlord.

It's not difficult at all to change out a plug, if you know how. But if you don't you could electrocute your self. I doubt you'd burn the house down. Still, if you've never done it before, it may be better left to the landlord.

Thanks. For some reason the plug started working again. Not sure what happened, but now I've split up the tank power onto two surge protectors instead of one, just in case. Hopefully it'll be ok. At least something finally went right! lol

Thanks. For some reason the plug started working again. Not sure what happened, but now I've split up the tank power onto two surge protectors instead of one, just in case. Hopefully it'll be ok. At least something finally went right! lol

Glad to hear it. To be on the safe side,you should let your landlord know about the elec. trouble.

Oh dear libraygirl you seem to be having some bad luck
I agree with Deckape check the circuit breaker. If that don't work and everything seems ok . It may be that the socket facia itself need replacing and it's coincidence that it went the same time you was doing you clean.
If you know someone who can do DIY it's a very easy thing to change
Just ensure that all power is cut of and it's a 5 min job
I just read your socket is working again
It maybe advisable to get someone check it out all the same. Just to be on the safe side.

Oh dear libraygirl you seem to be having some bad luck
I agree with Deckape check the circuit breaker. If that don't work and everything seems ok . It may be that the socket facia itself need replacing and it's coincidence that it went the same time you was doing you clean.
If you know someone who can do DIY it's a very easy thing to change
Just ensure that all power is cut of and it's a 5 min job
I just read your socket is working again
It maybe advisable to get someone check it out all the same. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks. I'm going to tell my landlord when I talk to him. He's very handy and a general contractor so he'll know what to do.

Checked the tank this morning; water is still clear but a small amount of white bubbles forming in one spot (this is the spot it usually forms in, the front middle of the tank. It looks like the bubbles from the filter output are being pushed together and most of them don't pop for some reason) but not sure if that's what it is. Also still some white bubbles along the water line on one side. Not sure if I should be upset they are still there or happy that my tank isn't covered in foam. :ermm:

Attachments

• DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00158.JPG
    DSC00158.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 66
Checked the water this morning (I have the tank's front and sides covered with black plastic bags; I don't have the courage right now to look at the water to check the foam situation, will do so later):

Ph: dark blue, off chart, higher than 7.6
High ph: 7.4
ammonia: still looks to be about 3-4, I'm wondering if I overdosed the other night
NitrAtes: 0 :nono:
NitrItes: 0 - ok, not sure why my nitrites are 0 when they've been 5. Either the large water change set me backwards or I didn't do the test right (I didn't time the shaking by the clock, just counted, so it's possible I didn't shake long enough). I'll redo this test and repost. I hope hope hope I did the test wrong, I can't take any more setbacks!

I haven't gotten the crushed coral yet, will try to do so today (I'm fighting a bad cold, possibly bronchitis at this point). I also met a member on here who lives near me and graciously offered to give me some substrate from his tank; I think I might take him up on it. It'll be a month on Monday of fishless cycling this tank (added to that the three weeks before this that I had fish in there) and NOT CYCLED YET!!!! :banghead:

libraygirl said:
Checked the water this morning (I have the tank's front and sides covered with black plastic bags; I don't have the courage right now to look at the water to check the foam situation, will do so later):

Ph: dark blue, off chart, higher than 7.6
High ph: 7.4
ammonia: still looks to be about 3-4, I'm wondering if I overdosed the other night
NitrAtes: 0 :nono:
NitrItes: 0 - ok, not sure why my nitrites are 0 when they've been 5. Either the large water change set me backwards or I didn't do the test right (I didn't time the shaking by the clock, just counted, so it's possible I didn't shake long enough). I'll redo this test and repost. I hope hope hope I did the test wrong, I can't take any more setbacks!

I haven't gotten the crushed coral yet, will try to do so today (I'm fighting a bad cold, possibly bronchitis at this point). I also met a member on here who lives near me and graciously offered to give me some substrate from his tank; I think I might take him up on it. It'll be a month on Monday of fishless cycling this tank (added to that the three weeks before this that I had fish in there) and NOT CYCLED YET!!!! :banghead:

The bubbles look normal to me now and I wouldn't concern myself with it :)

It's quite possible the massive pwc reduced the nitrItes low enough they're not being detected by the API kit. Worse case scenario is that the tank is starting over after the heavy cleaning... may not be a bad thing considering the challenges we've had so far :)

Thanks Eco. So, some bubbles are normal?

Well, I broke down and bought some Tetra SafeStart (I know, I can hear the groans lol). I'm NOT going to add fish, I just want to see if the SafeStart does anything to lower the ammonia and make the nitrates and nitrites rise. While at PetSmart I got more (fake) plants of different heights and a really cute house/cabin decor, which is tall and looks better than everything being on the lower level (plus I'd love to get an African Dwarf Frog(s) and I figure they can climb on it on their way to the surface for air - yes I'm still optimistic I'll get some living things in this tank at some point lol). So I soaked the new decor and plants in Prime dechlorinated hot water for a couple of hours; I also put the SafeStart into the fridge until I was ready to use it (hey, why not right lol). Then I drained 3 gals from the tank. I aquascaped the new stuff in (looks much better now I think), I removed the supposedly seeded sponge filter I bought and cut it into pieces and stuffed those next to my current filter pad. I refilled the tank with roughly temperature-matched dechlorinated water. Instead of pouring The Safe Start into the water I poured 80% of it ONTO my filter pad (lifted it out of the water and poured the stuff on), the rest I poured onto my BioWheel and the last bit into the tank water.

I'm checking ammo now to see where I'm starting from (I think I had redosed too high the other night anyway) and then I'll check tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

libraygirl said:
Thanks Eco. So, some bubbles are normal?

Well, I broke down and bought some Tetra SafeStart (I know, I can hear the groans lol). I'm NOT going to add fish, I just want to see if the SafeStart does anything to lower the ammonia and make the nitrates and nitrites rise. While at PetSmart I got more (fake) plants of different heights and a really cute house/cabin decor, which is tall and looks better than everything being on the lower level (plus I'd love to get an African Dwarf Frog(s) and I figure they can climb on it on their way to the surface for air - yes I'm still optimistic I'll get some living things in this tank at some point lol). So I soaked the new decor and plants in Prime dechlorinated hot water for a couple of hours; I also put the SafeStart into the fridge until I was ready to use it (hey, why not right lol). Then I drained 3 gals from the tank. I aquascaped the new stuff in (looks much better now I think), I removed the supposedly seeded sponge filter I bought and cut it into pieces and stuffed those next to my current filter pad. I refilled the tank with roughly temperature-matched dechlorinated water. Instead of pouring The Safe Start into the water I poured 80% of it ONTO my filter pad (lifted it out of the water and poured the stuff on), the rest I poured onto my BioWheel and the last bit into the tank water.

I'm checking ammo now to see where I'm starting from (I think I had redosed too high the other night anyway) and then I'll check tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I completely understand trying out the Safestart...but I'm afraid you've just exited my area of expertise. I've seen water parameters change in ways that defy science when people use those products. A good friend of mine also used a similar product and experienced a bio-filter crash for no understandable reason. Every tank cycles, and you'll reach that point...but I would simply recommend taking extra days to test your bio-filter (dosing up to 4ppm and making sure ammo and no2 zero out in 24 hours) before adding your fish...then keep a close eye on the parameters until your aquarium is well established. I'll be happy to chime in the rest of the way...but I may be puzzled and stumped with a few of the questions you come up with, lol.

I completely understand trying out the Safestart...but I'm afraid you've just exited my area of expertise. I've seen water parameters change in ways that defy science when people use those products. A good friend of mine also used a similar product and experienced a bio-filter crash for no understandable reason. Every tank cycles, and you'll reach that point...but I would simply recommend taking extra days to test your bio-filter (dosing up to 4ppm and making sure ammo and no2 zero out in 24 hours) before adding your fish...then keep a close eye on the parameters until your aquarium is well established. I'll be happy to chime in the rest of the way...but I may be puzzled and stumped with a few of the questions you come up with, lol.

Thanks Eco! I tend to definitely take the time to keep testing the biofilter with the ammo. Depending on the results I'll test for 10 days to 2 weeks before deciding whether it's safe to put fish in. I hope I don't regret this decision, I just felt I had to do something after 7+ weeks of trying to cycle this tank both with and without fish.

I did see a large bag of crushed coral, but they only had the large bag for about $17 and I felt it was too much to pay for something I may or may not need and for something I would probably only use a handful of. For the most part the PH in the tank seems to be between 7.4 and 7.6, so to me it mostly seems steady, it tends to change with larger pwc. I'm going to redo some of those tests today against the distilled water to make sure I was reading the ammo in the tap water right, I'll probably retest the PH too to make sure I got the right results the first time.

Thanks for all your help! Maybe I'll name one of my fish Eco :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom