Intro and new fake saltwater tank and soon to be Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my current stock after removing the aggressive mbunas has been really calm. Very little aggression anywhere. I've decided on a two part plan for stocking going forward.

The initial plan is to try to keep my peacocks in this tank along with the yellow lab and acei. I've done a ton of research and believe those two types of cichlid will work with peacocks. The final stock count would look something like
4 electric yellows
4 acei
4 peacocks
1 rainbow shark

If this plan goes awry then the peacocks will be housed together in a 40 breeder and then this large 60 gallon would become mbuna only, stock list would be like:
3 electric yellows
3 red zebras
1 bumblebee
4 kenyi
3 demasoni

This is still early guesswork, it all depends on how things go as they mature. I have the tanks already here for any quick separations that need made. I'm still deciding on my exact plan and its subject to change. As soon as I have a more concrete plan in place I'll update. Would like opinions on the options I have presented as well.

Either way looks good to me. My labs are defiantly the most docile fish in my tank, followed by my ngara white tail aceis. The straight mbuna option you have there is a mean one all around. Those are some of the rowdiest Africans with some of the most peaceful (the labs)! The demasoni and kenyi will fight. Many suggest no other blue/black barred fish with demasoni. My Dema is tank boss even though he's the smallest in there. This may change soon because one of my bumblebees has exploded in growth lately.

What peacocks do you have?

So my current stock after removing the aggressive mbunas has been really calm. Very little aggression anywhere. I've decided on a two part plan for stocking going forward.

The initial plan is to try to keep my peacocks in this tank along with the yellow lab and acei. I've done a ton of research and believe those two types of cichlid will work with peacocks. The final stock count would look something like
4 electric yellows
4 acei
4 peacocks
1 rainbow shark

If this plan goes awry then the peacocks will be housed together in a 40 breeder and then this large 60 gallon would become mbuna only, stock list would be like:
3 electric yellows
3 red zebras
1 bumblebee
4 kenyi
3 demasoni

This is still early guesswork, it all depends on how things go as they mature. I have the tanks already here for any quick separations that need made. I'm still deciding on my exact plan and its subject to change. As soon as I have a more concrete plan in place I'll update. Would like opinions on the options I have presented as well.

You'll end up with 1 demasoni...either do 1, or 12 unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Freakgecko- thanks for that info. I've never kept demasoni before so that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for, any other input?

Hensley- I have a male red shoulder and unsure on the female, I believe she is ob hybrid.

You may be right about the labs with those other mbuna, may be no bueno.

Minus my Demasoni, my bigger OB peacock is the next in line for attitude, followed closely by a larger yellow tail Acei. My fish are weird. Never anything excessive, but chasing if someone enters an area and they're unwanted there.

I would personally scrap the aggressive mbuna and go for calmer species, and maybe look into less common, but then again I tend to gravitate towards things people don't commonly have lol

Thanks, I'm trying to work with some of the fish I already have. Lab, acei, zebra, bumblebee are all fish I already have. I could give them to my Petco for adoption but I'd really rather not. Its not likely they will survive there. Minus the lab and acei I've owned all these cichlids over a year.

Unless you have a specialized breeder nearby, or order online you're pretty limited to what's available. I have 5 good LFS near by and the species selection is no different than what you would find at Petsmart. My Ngara white tail and julidochromis marlieri are the only fish I own that aren't easily found in a store, as they're from a local African breeder. Work with what you have and what's available to you that fits your desires the most

Attachments

• 1430490338681.jpg
    1430490338681.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 1430490357197.jpg
    1430490357197.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 51
Sweet julidochromis. I can order off the internet so that's not as big of a deal, the trick is just working around the fish I'm not willing to part with. I've also found there is a lot less compatibility in Africans than I initially thought. I'm having a hard time putting together a list I can say for sure will work.

Its all trial and error for sure. I would just work with what you have. I know the feeling of not wanting to let one go. We have a jacobfreibergi that gets the crap beat out of it any time we try to reintroduce, and its almost solely the other peacocks doing it. Its living with my mollies currently because the wife doesn't want to let it go

He looks great. You should start a growth thread on him

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm with Mike, haha. I love flowerhorns. My local Pet smart just got one for the first time, $25 :puke: Many on MFK claim to get there's from there for $6!

Thanks guys. I got mine for $12 flat, no tax or anything. They are fast growers for sure. Purchase size on mine was around 2" and its quickly doubled to 4". Loads of personality. That trait alone makes these guys awesome.

Sweet. I want one but no space for new fish or new tanks after today's addition of a baby TSN cat

Thanks guys. I got mine for $12 flat, no tax or anything. They are fast growers for sure. Purchase size on mine was around 2" and its quickly doubled to 4". Loads of personality. That trait alone makes these guys awesome.

Wait till he hits the 6 or 7" mark and tries to eat the heater........or your arm...LOL:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom