Intro and new fake saltwater tank and soon to be Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I watched it in your other thread. Nasty. It already gets very excited at feeding time. You were right on about those pellets by the way mike. At first I was kinda scared to drop more in since it looked like she was chewing but she easily eats 7 or 8 pellets at feeding time now.

Good shot of the bee. Also got a shot of the female peacock who is holding eggs.

Attachments

• 1430534654666.jpg
    1430534654666.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 1430534704185.jpg
    1430534704185.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 83
Horrible news guys, my flowerhorn leapt to her death this morning. I'm extremely angry at myself for not having a lid on the tank. She never jumped and it had been fine for sometime. She was a favorite of mine and I'm pretty pissed about it, no ones fault but my own.. geez.

I'm in the same boat on my 29g. I dropped the water level about 3-4" today because I heard bichirs are good jumpers. I have a small sheet of acrylic I'm gonna try to cut tomorrow if my kids will leave me alone for 10 minutes lol

Jesse

I use eggcrate when I'm too cheap or lazy to buy glass lids lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I usually keep a sheet of it laying around because it comes in handy with aquariums quite often

Picked up a few new pieces today to rearrange my 60 gallon cichlid tank. Should get it done and have some pics tomorrow. Made a little progress on the wife's soon to be saltwater setup. I really wish I would've got the ecocomplete I need to complete my nano tank but just got caught up thinking about other projects. Maybe I can get back tomorrow but if not it will be a week before I can return due to work. Now to figure out what to do with a brand new empty 40 breeder and 29 gallon that have been begging for my attention. With the flowerhorns near future demands I wasn't going to be setting up any new tanks, but now I can at least put these tanks to use.

Going to look for fish again today. Went to one LFS yesterday with no luck. Its hard buying half grown cichlids locally. I think I'm going to try to find a demasoni to setup my mbuna tank I've been wanting to do in my 40. The bumblebee is making me antsy being with my less aggressive Africans, he is getting so big. I really want a few more aceis for my 60 gal and wouldn't mind another electric yellow or peacock.

Look online for local clubs and forums, they can be invaluable

Another thing I wanted to state, I'm also now planning to stock this 60 gallon tank with a lot less fish than I originally was. Looking at these fish at only half grown and observing their needs for personal space/territory im realizing these fish need room. I am also having doubts in general about this whole "overstocking" African cichlids idea.

*note: not conspecific aggression included here, some species just seem to hate their own kind, I'm talking about your general "mixed African tanks"

I believe the root cause for most serious aggression in African tanks is incompatible stock, a thing I've witnessed myself. The overstocking idea just creates a buffer to spread the aggression between fish, but depriving these territorial fish their right to call a piece of real estate home just compounds the stress of being in a constant chase and run game. I think the cichlids you see packed at numbers of up to 30 in 40 gallon tanks don't lead a great quality of life and honestly seem to lose their natural behavior of being inquisitive and interacting with their surroundings. Usually those overstocked tanks are just a mass of fish floating back and forth in the mid level of the tank.

These are only my observations and opinion but I'm going to be stocking this tank more lightly and giving these fish room to be comfortable.

I personally say ditch Malawi and go to Tanganyika or jump the pond into new worlds

I love the new worlds and find them extremely fascinating.

I don't know nearly as much about Tanganyika or Victorian species, its taken alot of time to learn what I have about Malawi.

The downside is I'm highly limited by what is available near me. I love firemouths and green terrors, JDs too. These I can all get locally. Malawi fish are very prevalent as well which is why they have been a focus.

I agree with Freak and Mike. My Africans became a little boring to me, so I went new world. I would imagine my selection locally is similar to yours. I only have a JD, GT, and a Convict. Weed through all your area Petsmart stores and buy another flowerhorn or red texas lol

Jesse

I'm over the hybrids, if I go sa/ca I'll be looking into ordering some pure breeds. I've already been scouring petcos, petsmarts, and the LFS in my area for Africans to complete my 60 with little to no luck. No rare new worlds either. I have some electric acaras locally, some 4 inch JDS too.

I still enjoy my Africans a lot, I haven't experienced that loss of interest in them. Some like my electric yellow are just kind of there but my peacock, acei and bumblebee have loads of personality. The oddly placed convict is a favorite too, I know she doesn't belong but she has got along well with the Africans. My rescape is complete, I'll get pics shortly. Its a little "busier" looking but the whole point was too add more break ups and nooks for the smaller fish.

I'm over the hybrids, if I go sa/ca I'll be looking into ordering some pure breeds. I've already been scouring petcos, petsmarts, and the LFS in my area for Africans to complete my 60 with little to no luck. No rare new worlds either. I have some electric acaras locally, some 4 inch JDS too.

I still enjoy my Africans a lot, I haven't experienced that loss of interest in them. Some like my electric yellow are just kind of there but my peacock, acei and bumblebee have loads of personality. The oddly placed convict is a favorite too, I know she doesn't belong but she has got along well with the Africans. My rescape is complete, I'll get pics shortly. Its a little "busier" looking but the whole point was too add more break ups and nooks for the smaller fish.

Like I said, check out local fish groups and clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom