Jaguar Cichlid Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two Oscars in a 55g is pretty much fully stocked already (and some would say overstocked). The two large ones you have already are still growing and will want more room soon. Four Oscars in a 55g is simply not going to work IMO regardless of how you introduce the new fish. The fish will be too large...

Maybe we can work out a different solution, which tanks are these fish in:

6 lemon tetras
3 pearl gouramis
2 blue gouramis
2 white gouramis
1 opaline gourami
1 pleco (the Beast)
zillions of guppy fry

-In the 55
1 albino red oscar
1 tiger oscar

-In bowls
3 male bettas in planted bowls

Actually, a 30 hex is too small (WAY TOO SMALL) for even one adult oscar. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but I bet the rest of the AA people will agree with me.
-Mark

29 gal curvefront:
6 lemon tetras
3 pearl gouramis
2 blue gouramis

10 gal:
2 white gouramis
1 opaline gourami

In the (soon to be purchased) 55gal. Currently, the other 29 gal(l) w/the Oscars.
1 pleco (the Beast)

5 gal:
zillions of guppy fry

I have 2 Juvi Oscars in a 55 gal. I will be getting them a bigger tank even when they're grown because even a 55 gal doesn't have quite enough space as I'd like to keep them in...I think I read somewhere that the blue Oscars are artificially dyed...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm right.

hate to say it, but thats too small bro.

you need at least a 50gl long for a single full grown oscar. a 30 hex means they're pretty much only going to be able to swim in circles when they get to be 4-5 inches....

i have a 150 right now and have a 280 acrylic on order, but i like big fish...

i currently own

1 albino tiger 7 inches

1 lutino oscar 2 inches

1 tiger oscar 2 inches

1 jack dempsey 5 inches

1 Green terror 3 inches

1 clown knife 17 inches

1 sailfin pleco 6 inches

everybody gets along....but a bigger tank is needed

I'm seconding the notion that the blueberries are artificially dyed; a terrible practice. They will fade to albino over time. Lets get the word out so others don't make the mistake as well.
-Mark

Dwarf cichlids and Betta?

I have a mild betta in a 10 gallon and I hear that dwarf cichlids aren as agressive as their larger counterparts. I loooove the look of cichlids but I had heard nothing good about their behaviour in a community tank. Is dwarf the way to go?...or am I asking for serious trouble?

Wright4lfe can you post pics of your Oscars?

I also agree the a 30 gallon hex is WAY to smal for even 1 Oscar.
The bare min. is 1 Oscar in a 55gal and two in a 75 but 2 in a 90gal works well.
I have my 4 in a 180gal.

:D Actually sugarloves, I'd never thought about it before but I don't really think it's a bad mix. I have 4 apisto species and they seem passive enough to get along with almost anything.

If anyone has experience here, please chime in.

cichlids

I understand that they get huge....im just housin them there for now...getting a 55 for when they get a little bigger....what would be a good group of cichlids that i could raise full grown in the hex??

Perhaps a pair of smaller African Cichlids in the 30 hex with a nice rock structure going up the rearmost wall....

A friend of mine has a 25 gal tank with a a bunch of neon tetras, some rasboras, a couple of Otos and Corys, and 3 Blue Ram Cichlids (1 male, 2 female) and a Betta.

The betta and the rams geta long fine with the other fish in the tank, as the other fish are not territorial or particulary aggressive, but in the beginning there was quite the territorial dispute between the Rams and the Betta, of which the betta ended up with some pretty shredded fins, which are now growing back. The tank is 25 gal high, and since bettas tend to hover near the surface, with the occasional dip down to explore, they each ended up with their respective territories, and are now doing fairly well. It is interesting to note that the betta is a little s!@# disturber, and likes to go after the rams once in a while, but otherwise they get along ok. I think the important thing to note is that the Dwarf Cichlids are faster and can out maneuver the Betta by far, so at worst, your betta may lose some finnage during initial territorial disputes. I think having lot's of caves, or plant life, something to give some division to the tank so they can't always see each other would definately be a good idea too, u may even avoid some territorial disputes.

The Rams are the nicest looking Cichlids I have seen yet, they are quite beautiful actually.

cichlids

Would i be able to keep a pair of convicts or a pair of firemouths and a large catfish....because im settin up a 55 gallon and wondering what to do with that also...

i'll post pics one of these days...i just work way too much (average 60 hour weeks) and have a 10 month old monster...i mean son...lol...that takes up the majority of my time.

i'll try and post some either this week or this weekend...

Ok, I was in a hurry last nite, lets get in depth.

Just.... Just for the Oscar's you'll be needing atleast a 75gal and if you keep the cat depending on species you'll need a even larger tank. also you'll need to provide "Powerful" filtration for these fish as the O's are very messy eaters and defecators extrordinaire, so are the vast majority of cats.

What species of cat do you have?

If you want to figure out what you can keep in the way way of Cichlids and cats, disregard the normal rule of 1" of fish per gallon and do 2" of fish per gallon (I use this rule of thumb for most larger-bodied fish), then research your desired species and look at their max size, habitat needs and overall compatibilty... Do your homework! :wink:

Now...... Don't buy dyed fish :evil: !!!!
This a abhorrent practice that is cruel to fish and your "Blue O" is a dyed fish, this means that they dipped him in a vat of chemical to strip away all his slime coat and very likely damaged skin/scales, then dipped in color and finally into another chemical that irritated him even more to stimulate re-growth of the slimecoat. His color will fade over time. Other fish are literally painted, dip-dyed and/or injected with dyes. Once again do your homework and refuse to buy these fish, tell your LFS that you are against this practice and encourage them not to sell these fish, if you can, back it up by taking your business elsewhere. Some posters here have links to a Anti-dyed fish site, please check it out.

Back
Top Bottom