Jaguar Cichlid Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
don't really know all the names. sorry don't have them written down. biggest is about 3-5 inches to tip of tail. not real big. have to get back to you on name.

10 is plenty, you are definitely not understocked. I keep 8 in my 55 and it's just about right. If you want more fish in that tank don't get any more cichlids, get a bottom feeder like a synodontis cat.
I've never ordered online but I know that most people on this site order from Big Al's
I would recommend going to Cichlid Forum and start looking through their species profiles to find out what type of cichlids you have because you may have future problems with aggression. If you have a digital camera then pics of the fish could be helpful.

I have 7 in my 55 and they keep getting bigger. I don't think I would go above 10, but it really depends on what you're keeping...

ok after alot of time spent at work on the internet i have compiled a list of the fish that i have. but i am still questionable on two. maybe someone could help me.

i am thinking one might be a red zebra but its color is nothing like the others. the others are a golden color and it is a dark redish orange.
the other one i am having a problem indentifying is black and white with a pattern similar to a Marlieri Cichlid (Julidochromis marlieri).

fighting parrots

I have two large blood parrots who have been getting along ok until recently, when I've noticed that the 5" one is incessantly chasing and pecking at the 4" one - so much so, that I constantly find the smaller one motionless, pressed against the the filter intake. (I originally thought he was dead or dying, but then he moved and seems very much alive, so I assume he's hiding from the larger one.)
Can someone tell me if this activity means anything other than just fighting or a turf war, and whether there is anything I can do about it. (They're in a 72 gallon, and I don't have a second tank.)
What can I expect to result from this activity/fighting? Is the smaller at risk of getting stressed out and dying?

thanks for your help.

Maybe you should put some hiding places in the tank for the smaller one that the other can't get into, though it might be hard to find something the right size since they are close.

I've never really kept aggressive fish so I can't really help with the behavior...but can they still close their mouths all the way? If not, then that should limit the damage they can do to each other...right?

Yes, the smaller one is at risk. The best thing to do is provide lots of structures in the tank so they can establish territories, if you have not already. If there are structures in the tank, then rearrange them so the fish can pick new turf. If these efforts fail then you really will have to remove one of the fish. Sorry to hear about this - what other tankmates are present?

thanks alot for your help.

I've got lots of other fish in the tank: starbae corys, silver dollars, clown loaches, spotted puffers, underwater frogs, clown loaches

I don't think I can create any hiding places that will only be big enough for the smaller one, but I will try to create more places to hide.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, with regard to their mouths closing, but I would say that I've had aggressive fish in the past, but I've never seen any fish picking at another one so aggressively and incessantly. The smaller one has been pressed against the filter intake nonstop, and still seems to be very much alive; and as soon as it swims away from the intake, the other parrot swims across the tank directly to it and repeatedly swims into it, pecks at it with its mouth (though not biting it), and pushing it against the walls of the aquarium.
Based on this behavior, it seems that creating hiding places may not suffice to protect the smaller parrot. Any other (alternative) ideas? Would it help if I split them up temporarily (e.g. with a wall down the middle of the tank - Is that possible?)?

thanks again for your help.

All cichlids are territorial; the aggression level varies from one species to the next. Blood parrots are know for being belligerent. Sounds like the larger one sees the smaller one as an intruder in his territory and is attempting to remove him from it. Although hiding places may help the smaller one avoid some of the physical abuse, it'll still be subjected to lots of stress. If you don't have another tank to separate the two with, you may really want to consider trading in or giving away one of them.

Sounds like the big one is just going through a "spell". I've had two for quite some time now and occasionally, one will get aggressive for a week or two. Just make sure that there are lots of hiding places for them to establish their own territory and maybe re-arranging the tank will decrease their territoriality.
About the mouth thing, blood parrots often cannot close their mouths completely which reduces their ability to do damage to other fish (biting, etc.), but their incessant chasing, driving into walls, etc. can definitely do damage so it's best to try to settle them down when they get aggressive.
good luck,
-Mark

Fish suggestions

Hello everyone,

My wife and I were at a LFS this weekend and saw an adult (at least 10") Red Devil. It was alone in a tank (small, but its temporary) and was very docile. It looked at us when we stopped and was generally calm. We have been thinking about getting another tank and decided to research this fish. We both like the idea of a large (55 gal or so) tank with 1 or 2 large fish rather then a community with a bunch of smaller fish. Well, some cichlid sites say the Red Devil is in the Top 10 for most aggressive fish. We don't want something that is going to try and take off a finger everytime we change the water.

Are there any calm or mildly aggressive, large (8" or more), colorful fish? (Doesn't have to be intense, just not brown or white)

How many could I keep in a 55 gallon tank? I'm not against keeping a pleco in there too for general cleanup.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Do not get that red devil unless you're prepared for keeping him by himself in a large tank. It is very difficult to find tankmates that he will get along with. But fish do vary in personalities and docile devils are possible.

In my 55g I keep a green terror (3" now, max size 8-12"), a jack dempsey (2" now, max 8-10"), and a firemouth (3" now, maxes at 6-8"). They get along reasonably well with the occaisional fight. If your doing aggressives make sure you set up lots of cover so they can set up territories.

The only one I can think of offhand is a "checkerboard" cichlid (Dicrossus sp.) but they are SA.

Ultimately, I do think you are likely stocked right now with what you have.

I like poppab02's suggestion that you get a syno cat or something for the bottom.

Have you considered Blood Parrots? They are bright orange and usually good as community fish. Mine are about 5" long and I have 2 in a 55gallon with 2 angelfish, 3 cory cats, a clown pleco and blushing white tetras.

OSCARS

I just recently recieved a 30 gallon hex tank and was wonderin how many oscars i could keep in it once they are full grown? Right now i ahve one blue 2 inch oscar and one tiger 2inch oscar with a large 4 inch catfish...would i be able to add anything else?? any suggestions would be great...........Josh

The Plan, Seeking Advice

I recently ordered a blueberry oscar and a jack dempsey from the LFS, and they just arrived this week! :D I was planning on raising them in my 10gal until they're big enough to move in with my other oscars, which are just about reaching juvie stage.
The blueberry and jack are just babies (BIG eyes and all :mrgreen:), and I think if I fed them up a bit they'd grow large enough to not be intimidated by the other two oscars.
Here's the boggle: my albino red is very territorial, he bosses the tiger around alot, even though they do have thier cuddly/bonding moments. Do you think they would take offense to the new additions when (and if) moving day comes? They'll be sharing a 55gal by that time, and I think the extra space would give them some breathing room and territory to establish.
Opinions? Comments? Criticisms?

Here's a pic of the current tank to give you an idea of the size of the current oscars.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4625&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Back
Top Bottom