Jaguar Cichlid Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't rule out the parents - sometimes it takes several spawns before they get the idea. Put a piece of slate or something in the tank for them that they will hopefully spawn upon, which can be easily removed to a fry tank.

Good luck - should be just 2 weeks or so :wink:

disappointed with new angelfish- what's wrong w/them?

i recently got rid of two red devils that killed everything in my tank except for my two convicts. my convicts are relatively peaceful and were living in hiding until now. i've never had a problem with them killing any fish. since my tank was empty except for my 2 calm convicts, i decided to try making it more of a community tank with a lower mortality rate.
i got 6 angelfish that cost me between $6 and $10 each. i wanted big ones to make sure they didn't look like food. i rearranged the whole tank to make sure the convicts wouldn't get territorial. i am positive that my water conditions are good. my convict's bite wounds have healed and they swim around all day and are thriving. all of the fish have good appetites. the ph is a perfect neutral and the temp is 80 degrees. my city had naturally hard water.
anyway, to the point: these angelfish that i spent $48 on, well, they just sit at the top of the water all day and all night. they don't swim alot, they don't interact. they just SIT there at the top of the water, like they need oxygen or they can't wait for their next meal. there is no lack of oxygen in the tank! there is no ammonia build up! my convicts have never been healthier and more active. WHAT is wrong with these fish? it's very disappointing.
i will admit that one of them has a chunk missing from his tail and another one has a bit of slime/white stuff on his head, but i have a few that look perfect and healthy, too. they all have great appetites- no problem there!
are they afraid? are they in some kind of traumatized state? one of them actually swims and acts like a normal fish. what is wrong with the others? any suggestions, comments are welcome!

well, i just did a (partial) water change a day ago, and a water change three days before that. that leads me to believe that the ammonia and nitrates should be low. i also just changed the carbon filter. and i swear, my convicts have never been healthier or more active. they're beautiful, and my algae eater is even more active now.
(i can't give you a real answer because i don't have a test kit, but taking the above info into consideration, isn't it reasonable to assume they are low?)
also, only the one fish has that white stuff. i closely inspected the others and they look clean...

Lets start out with the fact that angelfish are generally peaceful fish and convicts are aggressive. The most likely reason that they are sitting at the top is that they are scared out of their minds and the convicts are terrorizing them. The missing chunk is just the beginning and has surely been caused by the convicts.
Basically my advice is take the angelfish back if at all possible otherwise you are going to be watching your convicts slowly digest a $48 meal.

As for the slimy white stuff, I'm not fully sure what that is. I'm sure somebody else will chip in on what it could possibly be.

The angelfish may possibly be overcrowded as well, what is the size of your tank and how big are the fish?

okay, you're totally right. i went and overcrowded my tank with incompatible fish. it's a 20 gallon high. the guy at the store said i could fit a certain amount of inches of fish per gallon of water. i can't remember the equation now, but we did the math and it came out that i was just at the limit and if i do regular water changes, he said it's not too many.
i haven't seen the convicts even glance at the angels! all they do is chase each other around the tank, but the missing chunk in the tail is a big clue that at some point, they are terrorizing them.
i can't bring the angelfish back. now that one has a missing tail and one has white slime on his head, they won't sell, AND i just returned two red devils and the store owner wasn't happy about it.
i guess the convicts will be "slowly digesting a $48 meal" :(

Sounds like a good time to add a second tank. Angels like high tanks so keep them where they are at. If you dont seperate them that thing on the angels head may spread to the convicts.

You've taken the all important first step, you've figured out that you made a mistake and you've accepted it. Trust me, this is a common mistake however not everyone can admit they have made a mistake---alot of people say "Well the LFS employee told me it would be ok and I believe them".

Let me address your overcrowding issue quickly---you have 6 angelfish and 2 convicts. Even when you only had the 2 convicts the tank was really too small for those convicts when full grown. Really I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a 29 gallon and definitely nothing smaller than a 25 gallon. As for Angelfish, you have 30 inches of angelfish once they mature, that's alot of fish. You could probably keep a pair of Angels in a 20 High but not much more because if they mate up they get aggressive. I'm sure when the LFS salesperson sold you the fish he did the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule and sold you the fish based on that. That formula doesn't really work well, and I'm sure he didn't take into account their adult size.

OK here are the two problems we need to address ASAP
1)Separating the Convicts from the Angelfish
2)Finding out what the white slimy thing is and treating it

As I see it you have 3 options for addressing the first problem of separating the angelfish and convicts
1)Go buy yourself a tank divider, this is an inexpensive fix (probably around $10) and can be found at any pet store but it is only a temporary fix since it will only solve the aggression problems but won't address the overcrowding issues
2)Go buy another tank, they can typically be found cheaply in your local classified section
3)Take back the fish to the store, remember this guy is going to be upset but I guarantee you he sold you these fish knowing full well they would be overcrowded and would die. That's how alot of LFS make money, they continually sell people fish about every month when they die off and the owners want to replace them. If at all possible I would return at least 3 of the healthy angelfish unless you plan on buying about a 55 gallon tank for them.

As for the slimy white stuff problem---
Ideally you would have a qt tank. But I'm assumingyou don't, therefore you are going to have to treat the entire tank.
1st---Don't just start dumping chemicals in, It will kill your fish much faster than any disease
2nd--Go to the Freshwater-Unhealthy Fish section and start a post with the heading---Unidentified slimy white stuff on angelfish, Please help---or something like that, you will get better help than I can give you
3rd--You need to fix the wounds on your other Angel so Go get some Aquarium Salt and some Melafix from your LFS (get a tank divider while your there--you can always use one of them), Follow the directions and don't overuse the stuff and the wound should heal rather quickly. And it might help fight off the white stuff which I think is likely a bacterial infection.

That's all I have for now, please keep us updated on what's happening

thank you for such a thoughtful answer. i'll definately use your advice!

Try looking through these sites for info on the white stuff:
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm
http://www.aqualink.com/disease/sdisease.html#ich
http://fish.mongabay.com/diseases.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AqBizSubWebIndex/fishdisho.htm
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/health.htm

Convicts are funny. They seem really calm and so cute, until they are put in with fish that don't stand up for themselves. I impulsively bought a little convict 6 months ago. He is growing up to be beautiful, but I don't have any tanks with compatable fish and I simply cannot add another tank. I thought he was doing well--I had him in with tetras, but then I took the tetras out, added Mollies and flounders. I never saw him chase the Mollies, but little nips were being taken out of fins and one of my founders got chewed up :evil:
Follow poppab02's advice and you will be on the right track.

okay, since those angelfish were going to die in my tank and getting another tank is not an option, i gave them away to a different pet store(not the one i bought them from- they said they wouldn't give me credit and i'll be DAMNED if i'm gonna let them make another $50 off those fish!! 4 were in perfect condition and i bought them less than a week ago! i'm never going to that pet store again.) so anyways, i learned a very expensive lesson!! and while i was at the pet store, i picked up 15 pet guppies :) so i have a male and a female convict and a big algae eater now. i'm not getting any more fish!!! they can have the tank to themselves! i'm sure they'll be very happy. maybe they'll lay eggs again- (they did once a few months ago, but nothing ever came of it.) and i can use the angelfish flake food for my little guppies so they can have a last meal. the end!! (oh yeah, and that white stuff the angelfish had seemed to clear up 90% overnight, weird, huh? it was hardly noticable when i brought them to the pet store.)

anyone here breed convicts?

right now i have a male and a female convict in a 20 gallon high tank. they laid eggs in the past, but nothing happened, and they haven't laid eggs in a while. what water conditions and temperatures are best to get them to breed? i know sometimes you can tweak the temp to set them off, but i don't remember the specifics. i have some slate in there and a ceramic tube that they love. they eat guppies and cichlid pellets. right now the water is 80 degrees and ph is 7. any convict advice?
i want to take good care of them, since they're the only fish i have and i don't want to add anymore fish to the tank because they'll just kill them or torture them anyways!

my teacher kinda bred convicts. he just had the 2 in tehre but didnt really want them to breed. but if they bred he took them out. ive heard convicts are good parents but his ate the babies as soon as they hatched (usually). they always laid them in snail shells that they killed.

It sounds like you have a proper setup for the convicts. If you do a nice 30% water change that will often stimulate spawning. I think before too long you will marvel at how you worried about them breeding, because if indeed they are a pair, and not two females laying unfertilized eggs, you are going to have more babies than you know what to do with!

Good luck!

africans

have about 10 african cichlids in my 30gal. am going to move them to my 55gal. about how many more can i add? and is liveaquaria.com a good place to order cichlids and pretty much anything dec. ect.? what about big als online? local pet store doesn't have as much of a variety so is ordering online a good option or not?

10 full sized african cichlids in a 55 gal will probably be enough. Which fish are you keeping right now? Which fish do you want to add? How long have you had your Africans? How big are they?
I have never ordered fish on-line--they don't ship to Canada :(

Angelfish and Danios - funny story =)

I'm still floored over this nearly a week later, thought you might find it amusing as well.

We had gone to Pet Supplies Plus to pick out a few fish. There was a young guy helping us by netting five zebra danios for us. They had one tank with zebra and leopard danios as well as one lone glofish. We made it perfectly clear to him that we wanted only the zebras. He ends up netting three zebras, a leopard and a glofish. I told him we didn't want the glofish. He INSISTED it was a just a different colored danio. Well yes, I imagine it is but it's neon orange and we would prefer zebras. He ended up picking the glofish out of the net with his hand and dumping it back in the tank. He did this exact same thing with one of the leopard danios as well. 8O

By now I'm not sure I want this guy messing with any more fish on my account but I was really itching for some angelfish so off we go. Told him I'd like two of them. He looks at me and says "You know these will kill your danios right?" I told him I was pretty sure that even if the angels wanted to eat the danios there wasn't much chance they were going to be able to catch them.

Call me crazy but I have never seen an angel that aggressive unless maybe they're protecting eggs or babies. Maybe there are exceptions and certain fish they're more likely to become aggressive towards but zebra danios aren't one of them to my knowledge. We brought those two angels home and have since added two more (from a GOOD lfs) and none of them give a hooey about the danios nor any of the other fish in the tank.

I have to say I am not impressed with the people working in the fish department at these places. I think out of the four we've been too in our area there's been only one decent guy who seemed to know what he was doing.

Yup. Incompetent employees are no surprise to me!!

Danios can pretty much avoid all trouble!

I have never ordered from Liveaquaria.com, and the only thing I can say about them is that sometimes their profiles are a little off. When you look at their site and pick a fish, Google the scientific name and read as much as you can from different sources before choosing.

All Africans are not created equal, so it really depends on what kind you have already, but trust Menagerie when it comes to African cichlids! Let us know what you have and that will help.

Back
Top Bottom