My 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I can dig them up and post them if you'd like. Essentially, I started with only one pot of the stuff. Added another pot a few weeks after just to loose a lot to BBA, had to cut a ton out. I'll find the pics after work today.

aqua_chem said:
Do you have before/after pics of that process?

image-3704830279.jpg

This is roughly around the time it was originally separated and planted. Like I said I only had a few pots.

image-1525133660.jpg

This is right before I pulled it up to harvest it all. It's hard to tell from the pictures but its pretty dense in some areas. It would have took 3 forevers to carpet if I didn't pull it up. I believe you need a good amount of individual runners to spread out in all directions. When I replanted I took maybe 3-5 leaves and cut the runners into individuals if possible and planted them like that, as close together as I could. I think it will really fill in now.

Attachments

• image-1445502131.jpg
    image-1445502131.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 99
That's one hell of a transformation! It was slow growing in my tank before switching to PPS-Pro and using extra substrate ferts, even with co2. Individual planting must be one of the keys. I think I'll replant what I kept in my small tank.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's one hell of a transformation! It was slow growing in my tank before switching to PPS-Pro and using extra substrate ferts, even with co2. Individual planting must be one of the keys. I think I'll replant what I kept in my small tank.

Thanks coralline. Well I definitely have the substrate ferts now... Hahaha.

I'm hoping it does even better once I can afford to spend a little extra on my dry ferts. I've been contemplating on somewhere down the road, switching the hygro for blyxa japonica. What do you think? I think blyxa would look great swallowing that driftwood stack, and would add a bit of color if it does well. The hygro just seems so delicate. But that probably won't happen till sometime early next year. I need to order some clover for my 5 gallon anyways, so I'll order it all together.

That looks really great!! I love how natural and clean your tank looks!

Well, I finally ordered my fert pack from GLA. I'm not gonna bother buying a scale, my wife owns a salon so I can just use the scale they have for measuring color. Saves me a little $$$. Excited! :)

Alternatively you can buy those little metal measuring cups with the smaller measurements, find the weights of given volumes, and back calculate from there.

Convenience I would think. I would hate to have to run into town every time I needed something measured.

True, but I won't be doing it very often. I'll only be dosing a 10 and 5 gallon, so 500ml will last quite a while. I'm sure I'll get a scale for home eventually, or small measuring cups like you suggested. However, right now, it's not really needed. Thanks for the tip, though.

Billbug... the digital scale I got on Amazon works great and it's less than 8 bucks shipped. It has a Tare function that when you add the cup you're using to scoop the ferts in, you hit the Tare button and it zeros it out... so what ever you're scooping in to the cup is exactly what you're putting in the dispensers to mix. No math needed :)

Here's the one I got: Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales AWS-600-BLK Digital Personal Nutrition Scale, Pocket Size, Black: Kitchen & Dining

Lastly... although the little measuring compartment on the dispenser is convenient, it's not really geared towards nano tanks since the smallest measurement on there is 5mL. I bought this 3mL Pipettes that make dosing a breeze since there's measurements of .5mL increments on the side. Less than 5 bucks shipped.
Plastic Transfer Pipettes 3ml, Gradulated, Pack of 100: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

But if you keep using your wife's salon scale and there's residual dry ferts left on there.. who knows when it's mixed with salon products by accident, it "MIGHT" grow hair in some astounding ways? By golly, you might be on to something!!! :hide:

Haha, I wouldn't put it RIGHT on the scale, I'm sure there's a way to zero it out with a container on it so I don't get my ferts all over the place. I still have to check it out. I know the scale is cheap, but it's 8 bucks saved since I already have one to use. That's all I was saying. I'm just gonna use a syringe for measuring doses, which I already have as well.

Also, on a side note, finally got my glass bubble counter in. My co2 setup is almost complete! Now I just need the tank and regulator. Gonna keep pumping the DIY until I can afford it all.(dang you responsibilities) I'll post a pic once I get it on there. I'm waiting for this mixture to start fading out. It is actually really quite nice for 5 bucks. Oh, and the cheap diffuser is working out well too, drop checker hasn't changed color since it turned lime green. I'm really happy with everything thus far.

Back
Top Bottom