My 20 gallon build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this mornings readings:
ammonia- .25
nitrite- 5.0
nitrate- ~5.0

started dosing a cap full of ammonia yesterday (will be dosing daily)

might be able to add fish next week! :D

Actually i would just let it go, there is really no need IMO to dose the ammonia, but it wont hurt anything.

Just keep the ammonia levels up. Dose as needed. Hopefully you'll have to dose daily to keep levels up. That means your bacteria are doing their jobs.

right, you're supposed to keep feeding the bacteria ammonia to prevent them from dying, right? no ammonia, no food for bacteria. right?

O wait, scratch what i said. I forgot i use the fish food method and that method keeps producing ammonia. lol

mommytron,

Where did you get your pool filter sand? I am having trouble tracking it down around where I live.

Thanks

No offense intended. Tree-hugging is only bad when people take it to major extremes. I'm an outdoorsman and I fully appreciate the environment. It majorly pisses me off when I find trash lying around because people are too stupid to care. Banning those plants seems a little ridiculous to me, but you have legislate to the lowest common denominator, which in this case is people who dump organisms into environments they shouldn't be in. I feel the same way about the snakehead ban. Most species won't survive in northern climates, but some idiot had to go and dump Northern snakeheads into Lake Michigan and some Cook county forest preserve lakes. They're Siberian and will survive the winter. As a result, all snakeheads are banned. Once again, no offense, either to Vermont or environmentally responsible people.

Salvinia was rightfully banned. It's ugly and highly dangerous to other wildlife.

today's readings:

ammonia - <.25 before dosing
nitrite - ~.75
nitrate - 5.0

almost there! :D

today's readings:
ammonia - barely a trace before dosing
nitrite - 0.5 ppm
nitrate - 5.0 i was expecting more nitrates but i have a feeling because i have plants it won't get much higher.

hoping to add fish on thursday! :D

EDIT: whoops! this is mommytron, the hubby never signed out.. :)

you're welcome, MartinBlank, glad you found some! i'm curious to know the look of the Arch Chemical PFS, can't wait to see pics!

lol, i was like what in the world who is this guy. I see you have infected the hubby. ;)

LOL :D yea, i think he finally got sick of me going on and on in fish talk and him having close to no clue what i'm talking about. he's getting really into the hobby and wants to be able to help out and take care of the tank(s) when i'm not able to .

today's readings:
ammonia - <.25ppm before dosing
nitrite - somewhere between 0 and .25ppm i think... not really sure, it's a weird gray color
nitrate - between 5 and 10ppm

yes! i'm so freakin excited :mrgreen: if the lfs i just called gets some cardinal tetras in tomorrow i will be picking them up!!!! (hubby said not till saturday, but the LFS has a wednesday special, 2 for 1 fish!!! gonna have to convince him i *need* to get them tomorrow) as long as nitrite is 0 in the morning, that is. but the rate it's been dropping i'm pretty sure i'll be good to go! :D

Back
Top Bottom