My 20 gallon build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so we tested the water this morning. ammonia just slightly above zero, nitrites zero, nitrates 10. so i called the LFS, they got cardinal tetras in this morning so i asked them to hold 10 for me for later. we just performed about a 75% water change. the last bucket went in without dechlor, but it got added in less than 5 minutes later.

so i am getting ready to leave for the LFS so i figured i'd check the levels one last time. ammonia is now 0, nitrites are 5.0 (!!!!!!!?????) and nitrate is between 10 and 20. what the heck!?!?!? how could the nitrite be so high???? i wanted to pick the fish up today becasue it's 2 for 1 fish day wednesday only. now i'm not so sure i should. i want to cry. please help!!!!

Hmm,... are you sure it isn't just a misread? The colors on the API liquid kit can be very close and it sounds like you are (finally) fully cycled. I wouldn't worry about it, if you really are worried a water change should do the trick. I am so excited for more pics! Your tank has come together very nicely!

the weird thing is the test was done right after the water change. when it is zero, it is pale blue. right now it is bright magenta!!!!! i just don't understand how i can have zero nitrites this morning, then do a 75% water change, then have 5ppm of nitrite after!!! i'm soooo confused and discouraged :bawl: i don't know what to do, i want to go get those cardinals sooooo bad!!!

I think they will be fine. Is it possible that the new water hasn't circulated good yet and it threw your readings off? I always test before PWC to see what the levels are .

I think if you go get your cardinals today and then do PWC's daily and keep an eye on your levels it should be gone in no time. What is your nA ? You could also wait until tomorrow, test and see if the nitrites are converted into nA by then.

i'm woried that maybe i went a little crazy with the PWC cause i also vacuumed (like two tiny spots in the PFS) and scrubbed the front glass off with the magnet cleaner. do you think i could have killed too much of the bacteria???? 5.0ppm nitrite is definitely toxic to fish, i'd be putting them in tonight. should i do another PWC and see what that does???? i'm so LOST!

i also forgot to mention in this thread that we added another piece of driftwood to the tank. i don't know why we didn't think of it before but we had a small piece laying around from the 10gal we had set up for a few, so since the anubias weren't looking very good, we pulled them out and i tied them to the small piece of driftwood. it actually makes the tank look so much better, and a lot less bare. i'll post pictures a bit later, the camera is dead right now.

well we've got the cardinals! i went and picked up 10 cardinals, came home with 11 ( :D ) we acclimated them for about an hour total (with floating the bag then slowly adding tank water) they seem to be doing well. we've kept the lights off except for a few minutes to check them out. they are pretty playful, playing in the bubbles from the air stone as i type. they seem to be staying together, except for two of them who are either with each other or off doing their own thing. we did a 50 % water change before adding them to the tank, and it was still testing 5.0. this makes me wonder if the test went bad or something because it was at 5.0 before the water change and still at 5.0 after putting water with 0 nitrites in it (we tested the water in the bucket before adding it.) i will be checking levels in the morning and performing a PWC if necessary. i'm so confused at this point, i just hope our little fishies make it through the night. i'll take pictures of the survivors in the morning!! (hope for 11!!! :D)

Yay! Sounds like they are super comfy already ! Yeah it sounds like that test kit is screwing up somehow. There is just no way that your nitrites would go from 0 to 5 and stay at 5 after numerous water changes. Something isn't right there

i know!!!!!!!!!! it can't be right!!!!!!!!!! but when we tested the bucket of water out of the tap it was 0 nitrites!!!!!! UGH!!!! i never thought i could be so frustrated. i actually had a hard time sleeping last night, and i was expecting to see a bunch of floaters in the tank this morning. but they are all hanging out together now, but staying kind of in one corner. they aren't swimming funny or anything so they look ok to me. i just don't know. ammonia tested 0, nitrates between 5 and 10, and nitrite could be either 1 or 5. it looks a little more purple than pink so i think it might be 1. if it's one, you would think a 50% PWC would bring it down to .5 so we'll see where that goes. i am almost hesitant to post pics because i don't want to get too attached :( just in case :(

i couldn't not share them with you guys, though :D

the first pic is from last night after we got them in the tank. it's also a good shot of the new driftwood with anubias attached. the last three are pics i just took now.

Attachments

• camera 107.jpg
    camera 107.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 56
  • cardinals6-17 004.jpg
    cardinals6-17 004.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 54
  • cardinals6-17 006.jpg
    cardinals6-17 006.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 58
  • cardinals6-17 008.jpg
    cardinals6-17 008.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 55
the fish seem to be doing well. they are slowly expanding and checking out the rest of the tank. they won't go to the surface, even to eat the bloodworms we floated in. they've made it about half way to the surface, just above the tops of the anubias. i think we will be picking up some floating plants to try and make them feel a bit more comfortable at the top of the tank. haven't got to the PWC quite yet, the water is sitting in buckets right now.

we just did about a 50% water change. nitrites down to about .75!!! could be better but it's definitely an improvement. i'm going to fill the buckets before bed and do another change in the morning...hopefully that will do the trick!! i'm feeling kinda optimistic about this now. the fish really don't seem bothered at all, while i was emptying the tank they were kind of playing with the siphon, chasing it around and stuff. i really like them, i hope they all stick around :D

It really is looking great Mommytron! I love the pictures, it makes me so anxious to get home and start my new tank build!!

thanks, rusilja and SnailPowered!! we are very happy with the tank right now. i can't wait to get some cories for it in a couple weeks!!

thanks Lacey and Wayne!!! i agree about our fish lol. i really love the cardinals, i can't wait until they get a little bigger and fill the tank a little more. in a week or two we will be adding some cories (hopefully panda cories) :D can't wait

EDIT: ugh! i did it again, the hubby never signed out LOL this is mommytron

Tank looks great! Awesome fish! I think you got this under control so don't fret too much and enjoy your fishies!....both of you..lol

Back
Top Bottom