My 40b fishless cycle log!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FishN00b83 said:
I was kind of thinking the same thing earlier actually. I just tested the ammonia before, not the no2, no3. What do I do in the case that the no2 doesnt drop and keeps building? Do I still dose the ammonia to 1ppm to keep the seeded stuff happy, or do I wait for it to drop before I add anymore?

It'll have to drop eventually. If it didn't, Eco-complete would basically kill every fish that's put in with it. It's all about the bacteria balancing out so it's constantly converting the ammonia being put in without causing spikes. In your case it's just a bit more complicated and might involve a lot more bucket carrying.

sand-bucket-party-favors.jpg

did you say bucket party?!!! lol

what about the ammonia thing though? Should I wait for the no2 to drop before adding more, or just keep adding 1ppm when the ammonia drops close to 0?

FishN00b83 said:
did you say bucket party?!!! lol

what about the ammonia thing though? Should I wait for the no2 to drop before adding more, or just keep adding 1ppm when the ammonia drops close to 0?

Maybe you can convince all them to do the bucket carrying for you :)

I'd keep it at 1ppm until the no2 starts to zero out on it's own. Just how I'd tackle it...but obviously I've never been through the situation.

OK I'll keep dosing and just not worry about the no2? Or when it goes off the charts should I be doing like a 90% water change like I did today (which didnt really put them in a readable range)?

What fun would this be if everything went the way it was supposed to you know haha. Gotta make it interesting some how. :dance:

FishN00b83 said:
OK I'll keep dosing and just not worry about the no2? Or when it goes off the charts should I be doing like a 90% water change like I did today (which didnt really put them in a readable range)?

What fun would this be if everything went the way it was supposed to you know haha. Gotta make it interesting some how. :dance:

Yeah, I'd do the water changes when it gets super high. Normally in a fishless cycle you don't have to...but in your case, as you said, you gotta make it interesting. :)

Once you can drop 1ppm with no no2 after 24 hrs, I'd consider very lightly stocking the tank. Just add a few fish and watch the levels every day. But, that's a decision you cam make later based on what hep pens with these readings.

Honestly, I would much rather do all these huge water changes and everything with out fish. IDK it might sounds stupid, but the reason for me doing the fishless cycle is to keep the fish out of harms way. If this works with 1ppm after a few days, I will dose it to 2 and keep going until I get to 4 or 5. It might be longer for me, but in the end, I'll feel a lot better putting fish in the tank.

FishN00b83 said:
Honestly, I would much rather do all these huge water changes and everything with out fish. IDK it might sounds stupid, but the reason for me doing the fishless cycle is to keep the fish out of harms way. If this works with 1ppm after a few days, I will dose it to 2 and keep going until I get to 4 or 5. It might be longer for me, but in the end, I'll feel a lot better putting fish in the tank.

Sounds like a plan and I respect you for it. I'd say if you can get it dropping 2-3ppm you're good. 4-5 is definitely a bit of overkill and we're gonna want to stock the tank slowly anyway cause of how crazy this all is.

Day 7

Ammonia - 0 - .25
Nitrite - 5+
Nitrate - 80

Im going to do a 100% water change, dose ammonia to 1ppm and test the water a little later.

Finally some test results that are within range!!

Day 7 - Take 2 (after dosing up to 1 ppm ammonia):
Ammonia - 1 ppm
Nitrites - .25 ppm
Nitrates - 5 ppm

On top of the seeded ceramic tubes, I just put in a seeded sponge from another AA member! Hopefully this moves things along!

Attachments

• image-3273348758.jpg
    image-3273348758.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 60
OK what the **** happened here????

Day 8
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0

If anything, shouldnt the nitrate still be in the water?? How is this possible?

I just dosed the ammonia up to 2ppm...I guess I'll see what happens?

** While double checking my nitrate test, I realized a smokey fog on the surface on the water. I've had driftwood in there the whole time, but added one last piece maybe 2 or 3 days ago. I dont see why this would have any effect on my tank now, but I cant really think of another reason why all my levels would fall to 0 like this. Anyone have any ideas?

Ummmmmm........:confused:

You're sure you're doing the nitrAte test right? Shaking the #2 solution for 30 seconds, and the entire tube for a full minute, letting it sit 5 minutes?

NitrAte really only leaves an aquarium in 2 ways (technically 3). Water changes and plants absorbing it. There is some denitrifying bacteria which will convert it into nitrogen gas...but it's virtually unnoticeable in an aquarium because the nitrAte will always be produced faster that it can be converted.

I'd just keep dosing the ammonia personally. It might be worth shooting an email to the guys at eco-complete to see if they've got some info for us.

I've been getting readings from the nitrate test for the past week. Why would it change now?

I just dosed it back up to 2ppm. As far as the smokey haze, you dont think that has anything to do with it?

I don't see the haze being related, I'd assume it's just from the DW. Like I said, nitrAte only leaves in specific ways, and that doesn't sound related in any way. A film on top of the water is normally a bio-film caused by not having enough surface agitation, or I have heard of new DW doing it.

The only possibility I see is a screwey test. I know if you don't shake the bottles and tubes for the full time you get results all over the board on the nitrAte test. Otherwise it's just another issue of sitting, waiting and watching.

Personally I'd contact CaribSea to hear what they say. Here's their telephone #- 888-461-1113, and their email- tech@caribsea.com.

I just PMed you. I wasn't doing the test right. That could be the reason why I was getting crazy results. I'm thinking about buying a new kit when I go down to the LFS today to pick up the rest of the stuff I ordered. You think that would be a good idea?

**calling them now

FishN00b83 said:
I just PMed you. I wasn't doing the test right. That could be the reason why I was getting crazy results. I'm thinking about buying a new kit when I go down to the LFS today to pick up the rest of the stuff I ordered. You think that would be a good idea?

If you just weren't shaking them enough you shouldn't need a new kit. The API kits are touchy, and if you don't do them exactly as instructed the results can be completely off. Just make sure you follow the instructions in the booklet, not on the bottles.

Well, since we've got closer to normal results, I'd vote to just keep dosing it up everyday and we'll see what happens :).

Hey all...

I'm also doing a fishless cycle with eco-complete. I started on 8-10 and my readings were 4ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Nitrites and nitrates stayed at 0 until 8-15 where it read 1ppm ammonia, .25 nitrite, 0 nitrate (ammonia did go down a little bit everyday). Then on 8-16 my ammonia was pretty much at 0 from what I could tell, so I added more ammonia to bring it back up to 4ppm. On 8-17 my readings were Ammonia 1ppm, 5ppm nitrite (or higher?), 5ppm Nitrate. And today when I tested my readings were.. 0 ammonia, 5ppm (or higher) nitrite, and my nitrate was kinda yellow with a hint of orange.

Seems as though we're kinda having the same issues (?)

My problem was with the readings of the tests being so high right off the bat. They were all over the place, and now they are starting to settle down. Yours from what you're saying seem to be a little more on the normal side. You could of been doing the nitrAte test wrong like I was. Have you read the instructions (I made the same mistake)?

Hey all...

I'm also doing a fishless cycle with eco-complete. I started on 8-10 and my readings were 4ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Nitrites and nitrates stayed at 0 until 8-15 where it read 1ppm ammonia, .25 nitrite, 0 nitrate (ammonia did go down a little bit everyday). Then on 8-16 my ammonia was pretty much at 0 from what I could tell, so I added more ammonia to bring it back up to 4ppm. On 8-17 my readings were Ammonia 1ppm, 5ppm nitrite (or higher?), 5ppm Nitrate. And today when I tested my readings were.. 0 ammonia, 5ppm (or higher) nitrite, and my nitrate was kinda yellow with a hint of orange.

Seems as though we're kinda having the same issues (?)

Actually, you seem right on track :). That's pretty much exactly what we want to see...it's even moving along at a good speed.

If you haven't seen it, check out this article-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Welcome to the site! :welcome:

**calling them now

I see you redid the test. :D I was just about to say.....redo the test. lol. This happened to me the other night. The night before I had gotten 20-30 nitrates. I shook the first bottle, added drops, shook the tube, shook the second bottle for what I counted as 30 sec, then shook the tube for what I counted was a full minute. Well I almost fainted when the tube was stilll yellow 5 mintues later. I redid the test and whew it came back 30-40 nitrate. So I was going to suggest doing the test one more time just to be sure, but you did. :D So I guess this was a useless response. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom