My BioCube 29 gallon journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
Hmmm.... Is there a parasite in the tank? Fungus? Bacteria? If all levels are good then... We have to start looking elsewhere. How's your salinity? Temp? Did you have any drastic salinity or pH swings? Temp has been good?

So you lost 3 fish over the weekend? That's fast.

Wish I had answers for ya brother all I can offer is support, suggestions and well... Just being here along the way.

Temp is normal and running as it always does. Salinity is at 1.024 and the ph was 7.8-7.9 when I tested and that's what is has always been. Don't get it. All the corals seem happy. It was over a week I lost the three. It's odd cause one min they seem fine and the next gone. He ate fine the night before too.

Any aggression? Nip tails? Have you inspected their bodies any sunken stomachs? Maybe it's a parasite. My purple fire fish had a sunken stomach I suspect it was a parasite.

Maybe it was a chain reaction cause of the angel. He was the first to go right? Did you ever find out why he died?

Sharkbait54 said:
Maybe it was a chain reaction cause of the angel. He was the first to go right? Did you ever find out why he died?

Yes he was first and no i have no idea. The fire Fish had a nip tail but had been that way for a couple weeks. Hope I don't lose all my fish that would suck.

What fish you still have in there? I had a bicolr blenny that died suddenly last weekend, was fine and ate at 330P, dead at 1030P.

I never did figure out why the blenny died, but all other fish are still fine. Hopefully the rest of yours will be fine. My blenny didn't have any signs of trauma either, no sunken stomach. Sometimes they just die. Having 3 die in a week is troubling, though.

Beengirl said:
I never did figure out why the blenny died, but all other fish are still fine. Hopefully the rest of yours will be fine. My blenny didn't have any signs of trauma either, no sunken stomach. Sometimes they just die. Having 3 die in a week is troubling, though.

I have my two clowns, wheeler goby and my cardinal left. My three shrimp are ok as well. Hope that it stops. The only thing different was I used Petco water for my last change cause I was in a pinch. But I have used it before and never ha problems and my test are normal. I am going to do another change today.

I have noticed that I am getting a build up of film on the glass faster than normal.

Thinking about heading to the store tomorrow and Doing a bigger than normal water change. Thinking 10 gallons. Just to give it a good cleaning.

22engine said:
Thinking about heading to the store tomorrow and Doing a bigger than normal water change. Thinking 10 gallons. Just to give it a good cleaning.

Just be careful, I read by doing bigger water changes on saltwater tanks could do the opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. Your taking trace elements, calcium etc that has built up over time. Your water change isn't going to have all that has been removed.

Not sure how true it is, but I did read it somewhere.

Good luck brother. I'll be watching to see how your tank does. Sorry for all the bad luck! It will turn for the better I'm sure of it.

I have my own whoes. I lost a gramma and fire fish has a huge nipped fin this morning.

22 any of your fish have any marks on them? I'm suspecting it was my tiger shrimp and you have a pistol shrimp too. Keep on eye on that.

Sharkbait54 said:
I have my own whoes. I lost a gramma and fire fish has a huge nipped fin this morning.

22 any of your fish have any marks on them? I'm suspecting it was my tiger shrimp and you have a pistol shrimp too. Keep on eye on that.

Yes my fire fish did. He was missing 3/4 of his tail. The other two didn't. Well here is the plan cause I just got back from the store.

I am going to just do a five gallon change tomorrow. It's mixing in the garage now.

I bought some carbon and took out the phosguard and I am running that for a few days or so to help clear the water. For some reason the Cheato starting dying and was told by a local reefer at the store that it can nuke a tank if left in while its dieing cause it releases chemicals. So carbon should take care of it. Think I might just buy a few more pieces of live rock and fill the fuge basket with live rock.

Wish I had the extra funds right now cause I really wanna try a protein skimmer because I am just not happy with my water quality. But it was the wife's birthday over the weekend so I'm broke lol. Going to get the aquaticlife one when I get the extra 70 bucks. Hopefully the carbon will get anything bad out and the water change should help. Ill keep everyone posted.

Sniperhank said:
You should try some Purigen. Did wonders for my water.

Have purigen in the second chamber of my media basket

22engine said:
Yes my fire fish did. He was missing 3/4 of his tail. The other two didn't. Well here is the plan cause I just got back from the store.

I am going to just do a five gallon change tomorrow. It's mixing in the garage now.

I bought some carbon and took out the phosguard and I am running that for a few days or so to help clear the water. For some reason the Cheato starting dying and was told by a local reefer at the store that it can nuke a tank if left in while its dieing cause it releases chemicals. So carbon should take care of it. Think I might just buy a few more pieces of live rock and fill the fuge basket with live rock.

Wish I had the extra funds right now cause I really wanna try a protein skimmer because I am just not happy with my water quality. But it was the wife's birthday over the weekend so I'm broke lol. Going to get the aquaticlife one when I get the extra 70 bucks. Hopefully the carbon will get anything bad out and the water change should help. Ill keep everyone posted.

The life of the reefer is a tough one.

22engine said:
Have purigen in the second chamber of my media basket

I may be able to help on the skimmer category BUT are you sure it's that? I happen to have the aquatic life one for chamber 1, I HATED it! Loud and a HUGE pain to fit it in and get the cup to fit in. PM me brother.

Had to move my toadstool think its head got to big to the stock and it was leaning over. So I move its base lower in a cave and it seems happy. Opened right back up. Haven't done a FTS in awhile so here ya go.

image-4161179090.jpg

image-2525003119.jpg

image-4002052035.jpg

image-1539031933.jpg

Convict2161 said:
Nice brother! Like it better actually where it is now.

Me too. It open its head up more. Like look at me

Wanna move my Venus flytraps someplace so they will grow and spread. That's the next decision. Also the guy I got the candy cane from said he has a big orange monti cap he would break a piece off of for me when I'm ready b

22engine said:
Wanna move my Venus flytraps someplace so they will grow and spread. That's the next decision. Also the guy I got the candy cane from said he has a big orange monti cap he would break a piece off of for me when I'm ready b

Nice!! Get the monti!! You'll love it!

image-1416298751.jpg

Mine is growing like crazy! I can break a piece off for ya. I just have to read up on how to do it lol. But it's branching out now. So is this one

image-191872319.jpg

Back
Top Bottom