My Christmas gift to myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just ordered...

...for my 37 gallon:
MarineLand Majesty stand,
Aquatop CF-400UV,
Hydor inline 300w heater,
AquariumPlants CarbonDoser II regulator,
5lbs CO2 tank,
Milwaukee SMS-122 PH probe,
7.01 PH test solution,
Check valve,
MarineLand Maxi-Jet 600,
PVC bits to make inline CO2 reactor and inline PH probe port.

...for my 40b
Wood and stuff needed to build stand,
CurrentUSA Nova Extreme 36" 6500k bulbs,
AquariumPlants CarbonDoser II regulator,
5lbs CO2 tank,
Drop checker,
Check valve,
Two bags of Eco-Complete black.

Also picked up ten feet of CO2 resistant tubing and AquariumPlants Total root pellets.

The only thing that will be inside my 37 gallon will be the inlet and outlet. No heater, no probe, no hardware in the tank at all. Yay!

Going to start building the stand for the 40b tomorrow hopefully. When that is done I will let it run for a bit and move the fish from the 37g to it so I can empty it and put it in it's new stand. Hopefully soon thereafter UPS will be near delivery of my stuff so I can get the new hardware all plumbed in.

Thanks. I will probably take pics of the whole build process and do three DIY posts for the stand, CO2 reactor and inline PH probe.

I have not decided yet if I want to make a separate loop for the CO2 reactor or plumb it all into the filter loop. One loop would be cleaner but not sure if the filter has the umphf to handle it or will it be too powerful and blow bubbles all over the tank. I will probably go the easy route and do one loop and if it does not work to my liking I can always redo it.

kenbob said:
Do a review on the hydor heaters.I am thinking of getting two.

Ok, I will try. I'll will get some good pics up for you.

Nice Xmas gift! Don't you just love shopping for yourself? ;)

I just got my Hydor 300 watt from Big Al's... haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. I'm hoping it will keep my 75g warm. That's one heck of a heater on a 37 gal.

meegosh said:
Nice Xmas gift! Don't you just love shopping for yourself? ;)

I just got my Hydor 300 watt from Big Al's... haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. I'm hoping it will keep my 75g warm. That's one heck of a heater on a 37 gal.
Yup, love shopping for myself. I spent more than what that all cost me on my wife so she won't complain... Until we get the credit card bill. GASP!

It is large for a 37g but it was only five bucks more than the 200w so I figured I would look to the future. If I ever get a bigger tank I will be prepared and if I ever have to treat for ick I'll have a heater capable of holding at 86f or better.

Everything should arrive by the 21st so I need to get to work on the stand for the 40b today. Have to water seal the wood today. I'll let it dry overnight and build it tomorrow. :)

I want to know how good that aquatop is. There cheap, move 525 gph supposedly and have a built in uv sterilizer. Never used one though and I know all about manufacturers "claims"

What are you using to seal the wood up? I did my 30g long stand with Rustoleum gloss black. Turned out really nice and has held up nicely. I built it in May of 2008 and the paint still looks just as good. Hard water spots wipe up easily.

iheartmyed9 said:
I want to know how good that aquatop is. There cheap, move 525 gph supposedly and have a built in uv sterilizer. Never used one though and I know all about manufacturers "claims"

I've read many reviews. Most very good and a few bad. But, no matter how good of a product something is, there will always be a few bad reviews. Kenbob did a review (search Aquatop) on here a while back and he says it's a very good filter. The filter is way overkill for my tank but it will have an inline heater, CO2 reactor and probe port so I figured I go strong on the filter to handle the larger loop.

meegosh said:
What are you using to seal the wood up? I did my 30g long stand with Rustoleum gloss black. Turned out really nice and has held up nicely. I built it in May of 2008 and the paint still looks just as good. Hard water spots wipe up easily.

Thompson's water seal. Not going to paint or stain it as it will live in the garage.

I am, for sure, no carpenter but this is my second carpentry build this month. The stand for my 40b is done. It's quite level too, less than an eighth of an inch off, so I think I can skip shimming it.

Attachments

• image-374835450.jpg
    image-374835450.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 81
meegosh said:
Looks good! What did you use for it, 4x4's ?

Yes, 4x4's.
Also, six inch lag bolts, four inch angle braces and rafter joint straps.
I was going to put in a couple of 2x4's in the middle on the long sides but it doesn't need them.

Yes, you are fine without center braces. They say you can use 2x4's for up to 72" spans without a center support. I am building one that will be 50 1/2" long and I decided to use center supports just to be safe. The 4x4's are a good choice but I've leaned against them because sometimes they have a tendency to warp and twist on long spans. I don't think you'll have an issue with yours though.

With such a short span (37"), as you said, I don't think warping will be a issue and I have the 2x4's cut already so if I see warping I can always add them. I may even add them just to support shelves. Twisting won't be an issue either.
Be mindful while doing your measurements. 4x4's and 2x4's are not actually four inches wide. It's more like 3.75", so be sure to add a half inch or so to the appropriate lengths.

Yup. Newer 2x4's are really 1.5x3.5". Some older ones (which I found when I knocked a wall down) are actually 1.75x3.75" which caused me some grief when I went to wrap the bar I built.

Glad everything worked out for you, anxious to see it filled and stocked. :)

Can you say "overkill" boys and girls?

Decided to go ahead with the center supports for shelving.

Attachments

• image-219594793.jpg
    image-219594793.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 62
and id thought id bought myself some cool christmas presents

Couldn't leave it alone, could you? Haha ;)

If you are planning shelves then that will definitely make your life easier when you go to install them. Looking good!

Back
Top Bottom