New 55Gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh ok but I dont have a bottle of pure ammonia so what do I use?

How did you get the ammonia up in the tank if the fish aren't in there the first time? Are you using fish food or raw shrimp, etc? Pure ammonia is best but you can use fish food, etc. Whatever you used to dose the ammonia up the first time, use that again and keep testing and adding until it's 3-4 PPM ammonia on the test kit. If you have any specific questions about the fishless cycle article that confuses you, ask them here and we'll try to help. The link to the guide is in my signature too in case you need it again (the one that says "new empty tank..").

Libraygirl: I have no idea how the ammonia got in there I put water in and tested it and it said 0.50 so I tested again and it said it again so I guess it could have come from the decorations or something but idk.....but thanks for your help and I'll read that article thanks
Sherlock: haha cool it actually came with the tank from the person I bought it from:) but isn't supposed to make bubble when you put the airdrome under it? I can't get it to do that did you?

Might be from your tap water. You could test your tap water and see if it's the same. The bacteria need an ammonia source to grow and feed on, so unless you dump some fish food in there or a raw shrimp or get that pure ammonia (the best and cleanest way but can be hard to find, make sure it doesn't have any surfectants or dyes or perfumes and it doesn't foam when you shake it) your tank won't start cycling. It's best to take your time and do it right though, your fish will thank you later. Good luck!

Ok I'll try and get pure ammonia soon but I'm not near my tanks for a week so I can't do it now but thanks for advice and good luck:)

KeeperOfFish said:
Sad face:( my mom texted me today and one of my female guppies died:( I'm sad

I'm sorry about your fish. RIP guppy! Maybe you could use it as a source of ammonia;) jkjkjk!

Ok so both filters that I got with the tank didnt work( one of them worked but started smoking and almost caught my house on fire). So I decided to get a Aquaclear 50 Power Filter it has good reviews on Amazon and its like 50% off so sounds like a good deal. Any suggestions on filters?

Anyways im guessing its cycling right now not near it though so I dont know but i hope so lol.

I was also thinking about the stock list this is how it currently is...
2 Paradise Fish
5 Australian Rainbows
5 Penguin Tetras
3-4 Peppered Corys

So I was wondering if a gourami would work in here. I think I already asked this but I forgot lol. If not I think I will just do another school of tetras or something. Any suggestions?

KeeperOfFish said:
Ok so both filters that I got with the tank didnt work( one of them worked but started smoking and almost caught my house on fire). So I decided to get a Aquaclear 50 Power Filter it has good reviews on Amazon and its like 50% off so sounds like a good deal. Any suggestions on filters?

Anyways im guessing its cycling right now not near it though so I dont know but i hope so lol.

I was also thinking about the stock list this is how it currently is...
2 Paradise Fish
5 Australian Rainbows
5 Penguin Tetras
3-4 Peppered Corys

So I was wondering if a gourami would work in here. I think I already asked this but I forgot lol. If not I think I will just do another school of tetras or something. Any suggestions?

I would up the 3-4 peppered cories to about 6 and add one or more penguin tetras because I know that tetras like 6+ fish in a school. I'm not sure about the gourami... As for the filter I've had aquacleats and they've worked perfectly. I also was laughing when I read that your house nearly caught on fire! Not like that's safe, but it's funny!

I would up the 3-4 peppered cories to about 6 and add one or more penguin tetras because I know that tetras like 6+ fish in a school. I'm not sure about the gourami... As for the filter I've had aquacleats and they've worked perfectly. I also was laughing when I read that your house nearly caught on fire! Not like that's safe, but it's funny!

Ok i will up the quantity on those two. And lol it was pretty funny but kind of scary haha. And ok imma get that filter.

Libraygirl: I have no idea how the ammonia got in there I put water in and tested it and it said 0.50 so I tested again and it said it again so I guess it could have come from the decorations or something but idk.....but thanks for your help and I'll read that article thanks
Sherlock: haha cool it actually came with the tank from the person I bought it from:) but isn't supposed to make bubble when you put the airdrome under it? I can't get it to do that did you?
Yep there is a hole on the back of it at the bottom where the wire goes in so you put it through there and just turn the air pump on. Ill try to get a pic but right now my pump is broken so i need a new connection valve. ;)

:thanks:

Yep there is a hole on the back of it at the bottom where the wire goes in so you put it through there and just turn the air pump on. Ill try to get a pic but right now my pump is broken so i need a new connection valve. ;)

:thanks:

I think I did that and the bubbles wouldnt come out hmmmm thanks though

UPDATE!:)
This is my current stocking list...
2 Paradise Fish (Paradise Gouramis)
1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Penguin Tetras
6 Peppered Corydoras
5 Australian Rainbows
Ive asked around and all the fish should be fine together. Any suggestions, comments please feel free to post thanks:)

May be a bit of chasing among the gouramis but that stocking will work, in my opinion anyway.
I hope not I think the paradise ones are top dwellers and the DG is bottom so maybe not but I didnt know they might chase eachother so thanks for the heads up

So with my tank having...
2 Paradise Fish
1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Penguin Tetras
6 Peppered Corydoras
5 Australian Rainbows

Is my tank fully stocked or is there anything I can add and if there is any suggestions? Thanks in advance:)

Back
Top Bottom