new member re-intorduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billgilthorpe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Transplant from New Orleans to Vidor Texas, (near
During my initial posting, I skipped a formal into; a question dominated my thinking; I am backtracking.

I am relatively new to forums. Saw a thread leading to this site while researing Houston Aquarium Society forum. Found many items of interest; very excited to locate Aquarim Advice.com. The Forum's high volume and active discourse is very compelling.

My Dad introduced me to aquariums in the 60's. He built a brick pond in his yard in the 40's. As a youngster I maintained a 20 and 30 gallon aquarium, and we also built a brick growout pond. Chichalids responded well; in a single summer we could raise some mega fish. Our area mosiquto population produces an insatiable supply of larva.

In 70's bought a group of aquariums (from a bankrupt pet store in New Orleans) and sold angels and fancy guppies while attending college in Baton Rouge. Fungus stalled my angel raising efforts. Experimented and finally succeed by placing eggs in a weak "ice tea" solution.
After college left the hobby for a half a lifetime. Restarted when son gave me a 55 gallon aquarium 10 years ago. Housed a few varieties of fish, predominately angels. Growing-out koi angeles from AngelPlus was my last adventure.

Would like to increase my tonnage of water, breed angels, and decorate with plants. My last 2 remaining fish, plecostomus, should have new homes soon. Want to start over with the heavy-planted look. We have many varieties of aquatic plants on the Gulf Coast. Have not been successful with sustaining plants.

My current quest, as part of a re-start-up, is to discover/develop a water changeout system whereby automating 30percent daily water changes. Most forums describe how serious hobbiest, especially those who breed angels, change out water daily. My work schedule prevents this much attention, so I seek a high tech answer.

Also hope I can help someone along the way, or at least, enjoy the communications and share with hobbiest. Bill Gilthorpe, Vidor Texas.

Glad you found us! Welcome, I am sure you will find a lot of new friends here and plenty of good information.

Hello billgilthorpe and Welcome to AA im fairly new myself and AA is giving me quite the education to date. Its nice to have another brain to pick.

Back
Top Bottom