New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
huma-huma said:
Theres no way someone can give a fish limit advice. Theres just too many factors. Adult size,bioload, filtration system effectiveness...etc

What would you need to know to give me a guess?

Got 3 true clowns, coral beauty, and kaundra cardinal. Want a yellow eye tang, flame hawkfish, and spotted fox face. Going to trade in one of the clowns. They grew up together, but don't want to take chances when they get bigger... Sorry if I misspelled anything...

Kio707 said:
Saw ur tank on YouTube... Looks awesome... How many fish can I put in my 90 gallon? I see u have a lot... My lfs said only put in 6 in mine.
Thanks
Depends on a lot of things.The amount of live rock you have,type of other filtration etc.
In my 75 gallon I have 165 lbs of live rock,3 to 5 inch sand bed.I have built in overflow which drains through a homemade filter box with two layers of filter floss,two bags of carbon media,and one bag of phosphate media,the container is about 12 X 6 with many holes in the bottom where the water then drops ,trickles two inches down before it hits the water level in the 20 gallon aquarium sump where I have the Marineland Pro series 300 gallon skimmer.Also have uv sterilizer .No ref.
I have a total of 70 gallons water volume including sump so I have at least 2 lbs live rock per gallon.
I only have a total of nine fish at the moment.
But I always have 0 nitrates and phosphates.
You fish load will really depend on your setup and getting your tank seasoned to handle a large bio load.
The 46 bow front you see on YouTube was my learner tank,I upgraded to the 75 when we moved last December.
Just add slowly and be patient letting you bio load adjust and do your water checks.Someone else with a 90 should be able to give you and idea.
Hope I didn't give you more info than you wanted.LOL

No, that's plenty to chew on. U can see my set up in my profile pics. Right now I'm at great levels. 1st time since I set up the tank I have 0 trates. Added more LR, got about 105-115lbs of LR and 15 in base... Being patient is the hard part...

huma-huma said:
I think youre ok for another fish or two but someone else may chime in

K. So that list seems good to u? Should I just add one, wait a couple of months, add another?

I'm not going to lie. After reading some of the horror stories in the forum, I'm a lil nervous... Lol... I don't wanna be the next one writing my horror story because I was to inpatient and didn't take a seasoned vets advice.

You dont really have to wait that long. You should base it on your chem levels. If you have constant steady 0 ammo 0 trites and can make it a week without the trates jumping, id say youre ok to add another fish. Do the same for each addition

huma-huma said:
You dont really have to wait that long. You should base it on your chem levels. If you have constant steady 0 ammo 0 trites and can make it a week without the trates jumping, id say youre ok to add another fish. Do the same for each addition

Sweet! Been good so far, so if it keeps up, yellow eye tang, here I come... Lol

I'm not a seasoned vet but I think you could add two fish at first then based on your biofilter catching up and your parameters staying stable, wait a botu 2 weeks and add one or two.

You also have to think of the order of the particular fish. tangs should all be introduced at once, so if you wanted 3 youd have to add them all, BUT I think that would be fine.

I want anthias', but it says its best to introduce them all at once. I wouldnt normally add 4 or 5 fish at a time but theres occasion when you do.

I thinkit;s best to start of with the more mellow fish and then add the most aggressive last.

just my thoughts, hope it helped :-D

carey said:
I'm not a seasoned vet but I think you could add two fish at first then based on your biofilter catching up and your parameters staying stable, wait a botu 2 weeks and add one or two.

You also have to think of the order of the particular fish. tangs should all be introduced at once, so if you wanted 3 youd have to add them all, BUT I think that would be fine.

I want anthias', but it says its best to introduce them all at once. I wouldnt normally add 4 or 5 fish at a time but theres occasion when you do.

I thinkit;s best to start of with the more mellow fish and then add the most aggressive last.

just my thoughts, hope it helped :-D

Yeah. Imma add the yellow eye, wait, do the hawkfish, and fox face last. Just gotta watch the corals. And inverts with the hawkfish.. I'm getting the 1400's on the 1st and getting rid of the 802 ph's I have. LFS is giving me them 10% above his cost, so I'm lucking out. Better then paying 60-80 for them.

1400's are like $45 on sale this week. LOL I know I keep pushing this sale but I;m tempted to get some extras at that price.hehe you never know when they can come in handy

carey said:
1400's are like $45 on sale this week. LOL I know I keep pushing this sale but I;m tempted to get some extras at that price.hehe you never know when they can come in handy

Yeah, but military gets paid on the 1st and 15th... Lol... Already used my allowance for this 2 weeks. Wife would kill me if I spent more then we budgeted... Lol...

Back
Top Bottom