New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It isn't recommended for fish to be in water under a certain alk but you buffered so that should raise it at least 1 dkh. I believe fish are supposed to have between 8-12. Youre a little low but getting there. And theres not much else you can do. I did a massive water change on my 125g and the dkh went right back to normal after falling to about 7.6.

My salt mix helped buffer I guess.

carey said:
It isn't recommended for fish to be in water under a certain alk but you buffered so that should raise it at least 1 dkh. I believe fish are supposed to have between 8-12. Youre a little low but getting there. And theres not much else you can do. I did a massive water change on my 125g and the dkh went right back to normal after falling to about 7.6.

My salt mix helped buffer I guess.

Yeah, I've done like 40g pwc the last 2 days... Just weird y it's so low... Idk...

Fully open rose nem.... Decided to move up the glass when I turned the lights off the acclimate the new addition... Lol...

Last edited:
Normal seawater has a range between 7 to 8 In alk.Keep your reef at that and your calcium between 420 to 460 and the ph should stay in line.I use IO reef crystals and do 15% water change every two weeks.I find I don't have to dose for calcium,but I do have to dose Alk every other day.I do have over 30 corals,some SPS.

Rick, u have way more than me... Lol... Idk why it has dropped all the sudden. Use instant ocean salt... I'll change to reef salt and see if it helps any... Tnx for the advice...

Kio707 said:
Rick, u have way more than me... Lol... Idk why it has dropped all the sudden. Use instant ocean salt... I'll change to reef salt and see if it helps any... Tnx for the advice...

When I used just the regular salt,I had to dose both,even with two week PWC.Plus your Coraline uses both also.

Doesnt dosing calc lower alk? Pretty sure that was brought up somewhere in on of careus amazingly long threads

kurtyboh said:
Doesnt dosing calc lower alk? Pretty sure that was brought up somewhere in on of careus amazingly long threads

Doesn't say it does, but this the first time I dosed cal, so I will look it up.

kurtyboh said:

If it was on one of Carey's threads,I challenge you to find it.Just kidding.LOL
It can ,from what I understand.My understanding is it depends on what is being used by your livestock the most for growth and so on.Each aquarium is it's own bio system and it's needs will be determined by the amount and type livestock,amount of live rock etc.
The key is to find what your aquarium needs are as you add stuff and maintain it.
There are many articles available that explain everything in detail ,and many reef keepers on this forum who can explain it better.
Good luck,I know you will determine your aquariums needs as you progress.

I don't have ich!!!!! Had a buddy come over (25+ years of SW experience) and he looked, so nope, and told me my heater was to small, I need to boost my alk, my lighting is "ok, but not great".... And pointed out my other mistakes... What are friends for? The new addition is bonding, so hopefully no issues.... Sent pics...

Last edited:
Kio707 said:
I don't have ich!!!!! Had a buddy come over (25+ years of SW experience) and he looked, so nope, and told me my heater was to small, I need to boost my alk, my lighting is "ok, but not great".... And pointed out my other mistakes... What are friends for? The new addition is bonding, so hopefully no issues.... Sent pics...

Nice snowflake! I recently added a BW to my tank and he and my regular occelaris have been getting along well!

Not a snowflake.... It's a platinum.... Lol... Very close to the same, but mine is a preculia...(can't spell, sorry)

Kio707 said:
Not a snowflake.... It's a platinum.... Lol... Very close to the same, but mine is a preculia...(can't spell, sorry)

Oops, silly me, I knew that platinums looked like that too. I can't believe I made such a mistake lol.

redsea said:
Oops, silly me, I knew that platinums looked like that too. I can't believe I made such a mistake lol.

I have too... I was on the website, said snowflake, and still thought it was a plat!!! I was like, I'm getting 2 at that price... Lmao

ilostnemo said:
lol i wanted her there alive! thats the best looking out of the two i had. and she was spunky but she never attacked anybody :)

Yeah, went right up to my other one and was great... Like long lost friends....

Back
Top Bottom