New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New pics of lil guy in QT... His mouth is opening and closing, mean he's stressed? QT has DT water and I checked levels before putting him in.

Last edited:
coffeetwitch said:
cute lil guy. good find. no clue on the stress. clowns are weird to begin with.

I keep checking on him every 10 mins... I'm a nervous wreck.

He's gonna be fine! Just keep an eye on him, I'm sure he's just getting used to the new home. Do you know how long you're gonna qt him for this time around?

carey said:
He's gonna be fine! Just keep an eye on him, I'm sure he's just getting used to the new home. Do you know how long you're gonna qt him for this time around?

2 weeks... For sure.

Woke up and checked on the clown. He's still alive and very active. I fed him some frozen food, he didn't go for it. But he did swim right up to me, so maybe he's still stressed. Not opening his mouth anymore, so that's a plus. Just so weird not seeing water movement like in my DT... Lol.

My pod numbers in my DT must be pretty high. They are all over my glass this morning... Hawkfish looks awesome, as usual and nem is fully open. Just outta curiosity, should an ORA tank breed fish have to be QTed as long as a wild one? Aren't these fish in a controlled environment? Just curious.

i want pods in my tank. get a blue mandarin or scooter blenny.

i thought it was a stress thing as much as an environment thing to qt

coffeetwitch said:
i want pods in my tank. get a blue mandarin or scooter blenny.

i thought it was a stress thing as much as an environment thing to qt

Isn't stress to move from a QT to a DT? Anytime a fish can't breath due to being outta water seems like stress to me... Lol.. And my lfs has that blue mandarin, but says he's never seen it eat frozen food.. Hard to chance that.

coffeetwitch said:
that would be a hard chance.

Yeah... I'm just going to stick to one fish at a time for now. The clown has 13 more days in QT.

My pod numbers in my DT must be pretty high. They are all over my glass this morning... Hawkfish looks awesome, as usual and nem is fully open. Just outta curiosity, should an ORA tank breed fish have to be QTed as long as a wild one? Aren't these fish in a controlled environment? Just curious.
those aren't pods that mandarins eat. those are isopods. pretty common to see a population explosion of those in a young tank.
i'm guessing they look like these little guys here:

img_1574311_0_094323d555f9b864f50ddc42fe2f0e7a.jpg

here's an asterina star for scale:
img_1574311_1_0b75712e1a876d8814b3ebc7045d1f07.jpg

mr_X said:
those aren't pods that mandarins eat. those are isopods. pretty common to see a population explosion of those in a young tank.
i'm guessing they look like these little guys here:

here's an asterina star for scale:

Well darn, yes sir, ur correct... Is this a good or bad thing?

neither. those in particular don't do much of anything. you see them then all of the sudden they disappear, never to be seen again. some isopods are bad however, but not those.
here's one isopod i wouldn't want in my DT-
220px-Giant_isopod.jpg

they are carnivorous scavengers. google them. you'll find some interesting videos.

isopod names a large group of creatures. you know those little roly-poly bugs that curl up into a ball then threatened? those are isopods. not bugs at all.

mr_X said:
isopod names a large group of creatures. you know those little roly-poly bugs that curl up into a ball then threatened? those are isopods. not bugs at all.

Lol... Use to play with those things when I was younger..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom