New to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know a lot can probably be found on websites but I prefer to have interactions with people to learn.

That being said I found a 25 gallon kit at my lfs for 45$ and couldn't pass that up.

I have been wanting to start a cichlid tank but wast sure if a 25g would be big enough for South Americans?

Also if it will work for them what plants and decorations are good for South Americans?

Sorry for the broad questions I just don't know much about them and don't trust google searches

Thanks in advance; Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

sand, drift wood and plants. There are some great dwarf cichlids but I have no experience with them. There are some good members on here that will help you with this.

Is the Carib sea fine grain substrate ok? It's more like dirt than sand but I can always return it

Not sure on that I use pool filter sand. But my tanks aren't planted because I keep either larger sa/ca that just destroy them or my severums just eat them.

Alright well hopefully someone else will know, thanks so much for your help though

If your looking for SA and central cichlids, then Rams or Apistos would be your best bet. But if you go with rams then, they require a mature established tank. There are also Africans that you can keep too, if your interested.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have heard Africans don't do well with plants and I was hoping to have a planted tank

If you are set on plants Rams and Apistos as other have said but no more than a single pair. If you anchor plants to drift wood you could a do a single CA Cichlid like Firemouth, Passionis, Convict, Honduran Red point. They like to dig that is why i suggest anchoring.

I have planted tanks with Thorichthys and Cryptoheros species with out issue. They only dig when they spawn, even then it's typically by their caves.

Thank you all! You all have been so helpful

What is the foot print on the 25?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll have to remeasure when I get home but it's about 23x 12 at the base and 21" tall

If your looking for SA and central cichlids, then Rams or Apistos would be your best bet. But if you go with rams then, they require a mature established tank. There are also Africans that you can keep too, if your interested.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What Africans won't dig up plants that would also do well in a 25g?

Also would gbr or Bolivian Rams do ok with angelfish?

What Africans won't dig up plants that would also do well in a 25g?

Also would gbr or Bolivian Rams do ok with angelfish?

West African riverine cichlids like Pelvicachromis species are easier on plants but not 100% safw.

West African riverine cichlids like Pelvicachromis species are easier on plants but not 100% safw.

Alright I'll look into those, I really appreciate how much help you have been

I have been reading around the web about Africans, and a few sites have said to stock them heavily and all at once. That just seems like a recipie for disaster.

Is that information correct? Or am i right to think that's a terrible idea

I have been reading around the web about Africans, and a few sites have said to stock them heavily and all at once. That just seems like a recipie for disaster.

Is that information correct? Or am i right to think that's a terrible idea

The reason for that is to help curb aggression. When they are heavily stocked, they don't have time to focus on any single fish because of all the "chaos". KGTROPICALS on YouTube has a lot of great videos on Africans.

Back
Top Bottom