New to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All right thanks, I'll go check him out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have been reading around the web about Africans, and a few sites have said to stock them heavily and all at once. That just seems like a recipie for disaster.

Is that information correct? Or am i right to think that's a terrible idea

It's all depends on what type of fish you're talking about. "Africans " is a very broad term that's encompasses allot of fish with different stocking requirements.

It was just a general advice site for cichlids so I'm not sure, I understand it is a very broad thing to say "Africans" I'm just trying to learn more about these because I have heard that cichlid tanks are some of the most rewarding and I don't know what I can trust off the web because of just that that I read on those sites about stocking heavy and all at once

Well if you're talking "Africans" there is:

-Mbuna, Malawi
-Haps, Malawi
-Peacocks, Malawi
-Species from Lake Tanganyika, not sure of the zone/type break downs.
- Species from Lake Victoria
-West African riverine cichlids

You want to keep them with others from there region correct? Not keep one from Malawi with west Africans or Victorians right?

And I am in the process of breaking down my 30 after my friend wanted to buy the fish I had in there for his 125.

Would a 30g with a 30x12x19 footprint be better suited for them than a 25 tall?

Some people say you can mix them, I'm a purist and like to keep like types together. It's worth noting however west African require different parameters than the rift lake cichlids.

Alright thank you so much I wouldn't think mixing them would be best and will probably keep them separate

If all you have is the 30 gallon and want plants you're limited to smaller west African species

I unfortunately don't have anything bigger and I may not go with plants, I have most of them moved to the 25 right now and my co2 and plant light is on the 25 as well so after I finish cleaning this 30 I may just make it an African tank without the plants

You'll still be limited to smaller west African cichlids or Shell dwelling cichlids from lake tanganyika.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind

Go to petco they are doing a dollar a gallon up to 50 gallons on tanks until he 28th

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately I have no petco within two hours of me, and my apartment doesn't allow more than 30g on second floor

Unfortunately I have no petco within two hours of me, and my apartment doesn't allow more than 30g on second floor

That's absurd, I had over 300 gallons of tanks on the second floor of my apartment.

Yea I thought it was a dumb rule, I guess it's cause the building is old but they are super strict on it, like they measure all my tanks every month when they do a walk through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolivian rams are much hardier than GBR...I'd start there until the tank matured. They love plants and dont eat them.
Also angels can't go in a 25 gallon :(

Also apistos love plants. They are my favorite. A pair of cacs or macmasteri would be cool. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420985735.744517.jpg

Yea I thought it was a dumb rule, I guess it's cause the building is old but they are super strict on it, like they measure all my tanks every month when they do a walk through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What in the heck Nazi complex do you live in that they do walk throughout every month and measure tanks?!

If anything an older building would be built allot more soundly than newer ones. I didn't even tell them I had aquariums when I moved in. If you're paying renters insurance I don't see why it's a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom