Newly planted community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
My son started my 125 gallon community tank with a substrate of gravel and black sand, then added rock, wood, and many plants. It looks fantastic. I also just bought a book, "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Diana Walstad who says that a gravel/sand bottom is a true setup for failure. She recommends potting soil on the bottom with a shallow layer of gravel on top.

I don't want to tear this whole tank down again and start all over. I've never worked with soil in my tank before. I'm old school. I never even heard of using soil before. I love the idea of how it cuts back on needed water changes and helps maintain proper water levels by using thriving plants in a well planted tank to keep nitrite levels down and use the uneaten fish food to fertilize the plants. Just a perfect little independent Eco system.
What does everyone else use? Boy, do I feel dumb. :blink:

:thanks:for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can see my tank in my album, i use nothing but gravel and all my plants are doing great, i also use root tabs (they go in the gravel for the root feeders) and i dose dry ferts with pressurized Co2. A soil substrate is not needed. Plus that soil will not last forever and need to be replaced anyways, most people with soil end up using root tabs regardless because they dont want to have to replace all that soil.

OK, where do I get all this. I tried Goggling, but no specific source showed up. I doubt Pet Smart carries this. Plus, I have no knowledge base to know what to ask for from them, or anyone else for that matter. I have well water, so it's hard. I don't want to use the wrong minerals. I don't want to use too much and have an algae outbreak either.

Do you have to do frequent large water changes? 50% of a 125 gallon tank is really, well, a pain - not to mention very hard on the fish. I have a Marineland filtration system with some age to it. It is sometimes very difficult to restart when a major water change is done. When refilled and turned back on the sump level rises, the tank level drops, and the pump grinds away. If my son would not be here when this happens, I would loose the tank - and he has a terrible time getting it restarted. (Colorful metaphors do not begin to cover it) It would be impossible for me.

One more question - Do I need added or different lighting.

:thanks:

OK, where do I get all this. I tried Goggling, but no specific source showed up. I doubt Pet Smart carries this. Plus, I have no knowledge base to know what to ask for from them, or anyone else for that matter. I have well water, so it's hard. I don't want to use the wrong minerals. I don't want to use too much and have an algae outbreak either.

Do you have to do frequent large water changes? 50% of a 125 gallon tank is really, well, a pain - not to mention very hard on the fish. I have a Marineland filtration system with some age to it. It is sometimes very difficult to restart when a major water change is done. When refilled and turned back on the sump level rises, the tank level drops, and the pump grinds away. If my son would not be here when this happens, I would loose the tank - and he has a terrible time getting it restarted. (Colorful metaphors do not begin to cover it) It would be impossible for me.

One more question - Do I need added or different lighting.

:thanks:

I too have well water, which is a bit hard and acidic than what my plants and fish would prefer...but for some reason my tank is always at a pH of 6.8 (my well water is around 8) so I guess it has something to do with what I am dosing.

First of all, you will need some root tabs...PetSmart does carry the Seachem tabs and Seachem Comprehensive (a liquid fertilizer) that you can use. However, I do not use liquid ferts since it feeds the algae, and i just do not prefer it...I dose dry ferts. I only do a 25-50% water change per week, remember not to vacuum the gravel. You could just do small water changes a week, I would do at least 25% a week tho. or you could do one twice a week to make that amount even smaller if that would not work for you. Back to ferts, I dose GLA dry ferts through PPS-Pro, IMO the best and easiest way to dose ferts and I dose AquariumPlants.com 's root tabs. Other than that, all you need is a source of CO2. I would just go Excel or glut.

I use Eco complete as a substrate, dose dry ferts i mix into a liquid and dose pps-pro, I run a 5lb pressurized co2 system with an inline reactor. My plants grow great and Eco may be expensive but has a high Cec rate( I think that's what it's called) meaning it'll soak up some ferts and fish poo to make it ready for plants to use.... I do still use root tabs for my heavy feeders like crypts and swords. The tank is a 90g

img_2410417_0_963f95ba2cda6052fc2c6458789fb132.jpg

img_2410417_1_96c6d6365f7deadd2be542b824a711ad.jpg

PetSmart does carry the Seachem tabs and Seachem Comprehensive (a liquid fertilizer) that you can use. However, I do not use liquid ferts since it feeds the algae, and i just do not prefer it...I dose dry ferts. I only do a 25-50% water change per week, remember not to vacuum the gravel. You could just do small water changes a week, I would do at least 25% a week tho. or you could do one twice a week to make that amount even smaller if that would not work for you. Back to ferts, I dose GLA dry ferts through PPS-Pro, IMO the best and easiest way to dose ferts and I dose AquariumPlants.com 's root tabs. Other than that, all you need is a source of CO2. I would just go Excel or glut.

I need to see this in front of me to reply.
Is there an English translation to this? Sorry to be so dense.
My pH is 7.6 BTW, and I want to use dry ferts as well.

You lost me after, "Back to the ferts,......". :huh:
"dose GLA dry ferts through PPS-Pro, IMO the best and easiest way to dose ferts and I dose AquariumPlants.com 's root tabs. "Where do I get GLA dry ferts, through PPS-Pro? and what is that? and IMO?
How do you get a source of CO2, and what is Exel and Glut? a brand or source tool?

OK, I just did a little Goggling right on this site before I finish this reply, and I decided I need a chemistry degree (preferably an MS level or above) to mix this stuff, let alone understand what I'm doing. I'm way over my head. As much as I hate the look of an unplanted tank, I'm actually sorry I got rid of my African Cichlids now. My tank is just beautiful at the moment, but I know it won't last without some major interventions.

I am very impressed with the level of knowledge and expertise that make up the members of this forum.

PetSmart does carry the Seachem tabs and Seachem Comprehensive (a liquid fertilizer) that you can use. However, I do not use liquid ferts since it feeds the algae, and i just do not prefer it...I dose dry ferts. I only do a 25-50% water change per week, remember not to vacuum the gravel. You could just do small water changes a week, I would do at least 25% a week tho. or you could do one twice a week to make that amount even smaller if that would not work for you. Back to ferts, I dose GLA dry ferts through PPS-Pro, IMO the best and easiest way to dose ferts and I dose AquariumPlants.com 's root tabs. Other than that, all you need is a source of CO2. I would just go Excel or glut.

I need to see this in front of me to reply.
Is there an English translation to this? Sorry to be so dense.
My pH is 7.6 BTW, and I want to use dry ferts as well.

You lost me after, "Back to the ferts,......". :huh:
"dose GLA dry ferts through PPS-Pro, IMO the best and easiest way to dose ferts and I dose AquariumPlants.com 's root tabs. "Where do I get GLA dry ferts, through PPS-Pro? and what is that? and IMO?
How do you get a source of CO2, and what is Exel and Glut? a brand or source tool?

OK, I just did a little Goggling right on this site before I finish this reply, and I decided I need a chemistry degree (preferably an MS level or above) to mix this stuff, let alone understand what I'm doing. I'm way over my head. As much as I hate the look of an unplanted tank, I'm actually sorry I got rid of my African Cichlids now. My tank is just beautiful at the moment, but I know it won't last without some major interventions.

I am very impressed with the level of knowledge and expertise that make up the members of this forum.

Haha, if you click "Quote" under my reply you can quote my reply in your reply so you can see it while you are replying...if that made sense lol.

Ok. GLA (Green Leaf Aquariums) is a really good planted aquarium website/retailer - Green Leaf Aquariums . Most people use their Green Fert Pack (it includes all the micros and macros plants need) for PPS-Pro. PPS-Pro is just a method to dose dry ferts, you mix up one bottle of macros (PO4, MgSO4, NO3, etc.) Into one bottle and the micros (Plantex CSM+B) in another dosing bottle. Have a read on this.

IMO = In my opinion.

In a high tech (dirted, high light, etc.) tank you would use a pressurized CO2 system like I do in my 60g. But for yours, I would just dose Seachem's Flourish Excel (a product, you can buy at petsmart) or glutaraldehyde (glut) which is a more concentrated form of Excel I think...both are a source of CO2 which the plants need. All you need for PPS-Pro is:

What you buy from GLA:
GLA Green Fert Pack
2 1000ml dosing bottles

What you need to get from somewhere else:
A gram scale
RO water or distilled water

In addition, you need the root tabs and Excel (what I would use.) It is fairly simple to mix up the solutions, all you need is the GLA Fert pack which has everything you need. Here is what Rivercats (an AA member) told me when I was confused with this too:

"You're trying to over think this, it's really simple. The fertilizer package has your nitrates, phosphates, potassium, and the CSM+B is your micro nutrients. These 4 packages you get are all you need. Plus 2- 1000ml dosing bottles from them too.

Then mix your macro solution:

In 1 liter bottle: (which is the 1000ml dosing bottle)

59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)

Fill with distilled or RO water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Next mix your Micro Solution:

In 1 liter bottle: (1000ml dosing bottle)

80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix

Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Also add 5ml of Excel to each 250ml of Micro and Macro mix
(20ml Excel to a 1000ml dosing bottle)

Thats it!

Dose 1ml to every 10 gallons of water in your tank."

So...I hope that helped? :)

+1 To Dan. I just started on this journey to a planted aquarium as well, and just got my fertilizer in. Just follow Dan's instructions and you will be fine!

Oh, is THAT what Quote means!!! I'm sure glad to hear that others are at the beginner level of this "journey" of the planted aquarium as I am. Also glad to hear that it really isn't rocket science.

Love the explanation Dan. Almost understood everything you said. So I don't need a big CO2 tank? I don't know where I'd ever put it anyway. The filter system just fits in the tank stand. I couldn't fit anything else under there.

How often do you do this? Not with every water change, I hope?
And here I thought breeding/showing my long hair miniature Dachshunds was expensive.:ROFLMAO:

The planted aquarium can definitely become expensive as you progress. Starting a new tank is definitely a shocker!

Oh, is THAT what Quote means!!! I'm sure glad to hear that others are at the beginner level of this "journey" of the planted aquarium as I am. Also glad to hear that it really isn't rocket science.

Love the explanation Dan. Almost understood everything you said. So I don't need a big CO2 tank? I don't know where I'd ever put it anyway. The filter system just fits in the tank stand. I couldn't fit anything else under there.

How often do you do this? Not with every water change, I hope?
And here I thought breeding/showing my long hair miniature Dachshunds was expensive.:ROFLMAO:

Haha! Yes, I was as confused as you are when I first started this journey!! It looks easy, but it gets pretty complex down the road, but not too complicated, or as you said, it's definitely not rocket science lol.

Good! Nope, lots of people will think you need all that fancy and expensive things when really you don't. Only if you are wanting a high tech tank that would be necessary. Since my 60g has lots of plants and are mostly high light, I have to have tons of lighting on it which will need more CO2, which is why I need one. You however can just get off using Excel as I said. Do you know what kind of plants are in there?

What do you mean by "How often do you do this?" You dose the PPS-Pro each morning about an hour before the lights turn on, and I would dose Excel every other day. All you do is squirt in a little bit of liquid and you're done for the day :lol:

Lol, yes, aquaria may not be the cheapest hobby, but it is definitely worth the work, time and money you put into it, as I assume you know with your Dachshunds :)

Just a couple things I've picked up from what has been said.

Liquid Carbon which is not CO2 should be dosed daily as it breaks down in water within 24 hours. Using it every other day gives your plants a very inconsistant level of carbon within the tank and I do not recommend that.

Also liquid ferts don't feed algae. They start as dry ferts and the company adds the water for you and then charges you more. When used properly they work fine and do not cause algae.

I don't have your reply in front of me, but my calculated amt of "one" of the additives for a 125 gal. is 30ml divided into 1,250 ml = 41.66 oz. or ~5 cups - and you say that is every day? Where do you pour this - in the tank or the sump?
I'm a nurse (retired) and lousy at math even in my younger day - but that can't be right. What am I not getting??

I don't have your reply in front of me, but my calculated amt of "one" of the additives for a 125 gal. is 30ml divided into 1,250 ml = 41.66 oz. or ~5 cups - and you say that is every day? Where do you pour this - in the tank or the sump?
I'm a nurse (retired) and lousy at math even in my younger day - but that can't be right. What am I not getting??

What are you asking? You would dose 12.5mL of each solution (micro bottle and macro bottle) into your tank. For example, in my 60g, I would dose 6mL of micro solution into one side of my tank and 6mL of macro into the other side. You pour it straight into the tank. Dose it daily except on water change day, because if you dose it and then go and do a water change you are just taking it out the tank.

AaaaaaH, why was Squiggy turned over to animal control???http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/64804-albums11770.html

Lol, what are you talking about?

Last edited:
Just a couple things I've picked up from what has been said.

Liquid Carbon which is not CO2 should be dosed daily as it breaks down in water within 24 hours. Using it every other day gives your plants a very inconsistant level of carbon within the tank and I do not recommend that.

Also liquid ferts don't feed algae. They start as dry ferts and the company adds the water for you and then charges you more. When used properly they work fine and do not cause algae.

Yes, I should have defined what I meant by the Excel. It is a liquid carbon as you said. On the bottle it says it is recommended to dose it every other day, but now that you bring that up I guess it would be better to dose it daily with PPS-Pro :)

Huh. I have read and heard so many people say liquid ferts feed the algae, and lol yes that is true. Thanks for clearing that up for me :D

Haha, if you click "Quote" under my reply you can quote my reply in your reply so you can see it while you are replying...if that made sense lol.

Ok. GLA (Green Leaf Aquariums) is a really good planted aquarium website/retailer - Green Leaf Aquariums . Most people use their Green Fert Pack (it includes all the micros and macros plants need) for PPS-Pro. PPS-Pro is just a method to dose dry ferts, you mix up one bottle of macros (PO4, MgSO4, NO3, etc.) Into one bottle and the micros (Plantex CSM+B) in another dosing bottle. Have a read on this.

IMO = In my opinion.

In a high tech (dirted, high light, etc.) tank you would use a pressurized CO2 system like I do in my 60g. But for yours, I would just dose Seachem's Flourish Excel (a product, you can buy at petsmart) or glutaraldehyde (glut) which is a more concentrated form of Excel I think...both are a source of CO2 which the plants need. All you need for PPS-Pro is:

What you buy from GLA:
GLA Green Fert Pack
2 1000ml dosing bottles

What you need to get from somewhere else:
A gram scale
RO water or distilled water

In addition, you need the root tabs and Excel (what I would use.) It is fairly simple to mix up the solutions, all you need is the GLA Fert pack which has everything you need. Here is what Rivercats (an AA member) told me when I was confused with this too:

"You're trying to over think this, it's really simple. The fertilizer package has your nitrates, phosphates, potassium, and the CSM+B is your micro nutrients. These 4 packages you get are all you need. Plus 2- 1000ml dosing bottles from them too.

Then mix your macro solution:

In 1 liter bottle: (which is the 1000ml dosing bottle)

59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)

Fill with distilled or RO water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Next mix your Micro Solution:

In 1 liter bottle: (1000ml dosing bottle)

80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix

Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Also add 5ml of Excel to each 250ml of Micro and Macro mix
(20ml Excel to a 1000ml dosing bottle)

Thats it!

Dose 1ml to every 10 gallons of water in your tank."

So...I hope that helped? :)
I don't have a gram scale at the moment. I forgot to order it when I ordered my ferts.:facepalm: Any way to break the gram measurements into common measurements. I am ordering the scale tonight, but I would like to get the ferts started in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom