Newly planted community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a gram scale at the moment. I forgot to order it when I ordered my ferts.:facepalm: Any way to break the gram measurements into common measurements. I am ordering the scale tonight, but I would like to get the ferts started in the tank.

i would not try, PPS-pro is pretty precise in how much of each fert gets mixed together. dry ferts are very powerful and just a few grams too many can make a big difference. if you dont feel like waiting, alot of corner stores/gas stations carry gram scales. or a head shop if they are available in your state/country

i would not try, PPS-pro is pretty precise in how much of each fert gets mixed together. dry ferts are very powerful and just a few grams too many can make a big difference. if you dont feel like waiting, alot of corner stores/gas stations carry gram scales. or a head shop if they are available in your state/country

Well, the good thing about PPS-Pro is that you can add or change the amount of each fert that goes in to fit the needs of your tank. Like in my 60g, I need more nitrate and phosphate, so I add in more of those two ferts in my solution than the original formula calls for. Also, I got my scale off of amazon for $12 shipping overnight, pretty great deal and it works really well for a precise gram scale with all of its functions. But, I would still recommend you get a gram scale.

I decided to wait until I get a scale. I looked all over this little podunk town, and no one has a scale. WalMart has a non digital scale, but its $20 I am ordering one from Amazon tomorrow, hopefully I can get quick shipping. Guess a few more days won't hurt. I ordered the 500ml. mixing bottles, so I will have to cut the prescribed amounts in half. Hopefully next week I will be getting the ferts into the tank. After the ferts are opened, would it be adventageus to refrigerate the open packages in a zip lock bag?

Well, the good thing about PPS-Pro is that you can add or change the amount of each fert that goes in to fit the needs of your tank. Like in my 60g, I need more nitrate and phosphate, so I add in more of those two ferts in my solution than the original formula calls for. Also, I got my scale off of amazon for $12 shipping overnight, pretty great deal and it works really well for a precise gram scale with all of its functions. But, I would still recommend you get a gram scale.

this is true and i agree since i also dose with PPS-Pro, however just guessing the weight by using other measurements (like tablespoons or teaspoons) is what i was advising against, as you would not know exactly how much you have of each fert, since some of the ferts are also more dense and weigh more then others.

I decided to wait until I get a scale. I looked all over this little podunk town, and no one has a scale. WalMart has a non digital scale, but its $20 I am ordering one from Amazon tomorrow, hopefully I can get quick shipping. Guess a few more days won't hurt. I ordered the 500ml. mixing bottles, so I will have to cut the prescribed amounts in half. Hopefully next week I will be getting the ferts into the tank. After the ferts are opened, would it be adventageus to refrigerate the open packages in a zip lock bag?

the only one i would think would need to be refrigerated is the plantex CSM+b to help it last longer, the others can just be stored in a cool dry place. also they already come in ziplock bags :)

You want to store the dry contents in a dry cool place. They come in ziplock bags and then mine came with the zip lock bags in a brown paper bag to help fight moisture the only time you want the ferts in the fridge is after you've mixed it into the liquid form.... And usually when your dosing with those bottles or a used prime or seachem fertilizer bottle, one full cap is 5ml, so I think pps-pro is 5ml for every 50g..... Do you have any pics of your tank now

First of all, you will need some root tabs...PetSmart does carry the Seachem tabs and Seachem Comprehensive (a liquid fertilizer) that you can use. However, I do not use liquid ferts since it feeds the algae, and i just do not prefer it...I dose dry ferts. .

Just curious, I know for a big tank it's going to be much cheaper in the long run to use dry Ferts and mix your own, I get that. But your statement
"I do not use liquid ferts since it feeds the algae"
????

Why would Liquid Ferts feed the Algae more than Dry Ferts that you are adding in liquid form ???

I've Never heard this before. What are your sources for this info ?

Too much Light
Not enough PWCs
High Nitrates
No Carbon source

These are ways to grow Algae.

I'm posting this openly as I want to give accurate info on this topic. I will ask Tom Barr about this next time I see him as well.

Regards,
Tina ( still not a dude )
Supporting member
San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

High phosphates also help algae. Algae is a pretty good sign things are out of balance which is likely to happen early on so don't get discouraged

Remember though the more plants the more the algae is gonna have to fight for nutrients and probably lose against the plants

What are you asking? You would dose 12.5mL of each solution (micro bottle and macro bottle) into your tank. For example, in my 60g, I would dose 6mL of micro solution into one side of my tank and 6mL of macro into the other side. You pour it straight into the tank. Dose it daily except on water change day, because if you dose it and then go and do a water change you are just taking it out the tank.

Lol, what are you talking about?
It's from Rivercats reply. I clicked on his/her site. I have problems with replying to a specific person. Not used to navigating the site yet.

So, I bought Green Ferts Pack
2 1000ml bottles
Seachem Prime
Do I have to refrig. after mixing? I read some discussion on that. No room for that in my frig.

Now, I think I have a bigger problem. I just have plants stuck in my sand. I don't have root tabs. Can I use this stuff without tabs? Please say yes. Very expensive to change over.
Very expensive to start this size tank. As I said, I totally put the tank in my son's hands for the change over. (He's the only one that understands this Marineland filter system.) I've used root tabs before, he hasn't. He came home with $150 worth of plants. It's already a challenge to keep things planted.

High phosphates does not encourage unless they are extremely high. I run a high phosphate- low nitrate tank due to the type of plants I keep. Also Green Spot Algae often occurs when you have low phosphates (this isn't the only reason for GSA). Algae in general is caused by an imbalance of lights/CO2/ferts.

Also dosing directions on the Liquid Carbon Excel bottle state it should be dosed every day or every other day.

If you have any Crypts or Swords those plants will need root tabs but you still dose your dry ferts daily.

I never refridgerate my mixed ferts. I do however add 5ml of Excel or Liquid Carbon to every 250ml of macro and micro mix to keep mold from growing in the solution.

Tell me about poor little Squiggy. Why animal control??

He only lived 2 weeks. He just had too many issues from the beginning. Long story short is some people turned their pet cat over to animal control after she had been in labor over 2 days. She had had one kitten, Squiggy, that lived and was turned in with her. She was still in labor and had to have surgery and couldn't/wouldn't nurse. So we were hand feeding round the clock every 2 hours.

Take it back. Lots of Amazon swords and something broader than a Crypt. Ruffled sword maybe? Can I buy plain tabs and put them in?

I show and breed long hair miniature Dachshunds. I had a puppy born without ears. Couldn't suck. Couldn't really swallow. I worked with her for 12 days and literally slept on the couch, but finally had to put her down. People can be so cruel. Hind site I should have used an NG tube, not just a syringe.

I never heard of using animal control. I guess it's for people that don't want to spend any more money on their pet. Euthanasia is $50/ animal at the Vet. Control will kill for free.

I just reread your reply. Are you saying that you are part of Animal Control? They sure don't work with anything brought in around here. Infact, I think the dog man that used to work our area collected any dog without a collar, wither he recognized the dog or not, and took them to a local experimental lab for cash.

The swords and crypts will need root tabs since they are heavy root feeders, and the sand won't provide anything for them. You dont need to switch the substrate, just need to get good nutrients in it for the plants, in this case using the root tabs...

Wow I am sorry to hear about your pets...people can be cruel, it is a shame... :(

Back
Top Bottom