Newly planted community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any incite on the size scale I need? Amazon has stuff from $5 to $36, pocket to larger. Some are specific for gold, silver etc. Since I'm not sure what exactly I'm weighing, what should I be looking for. Do they all measure the same?

Another question, where can I buy tabs without the plants for my swords? All my plants are just stuck in sand.

I just reread your reply. Are you saying that you are part of Animal Control? They sure don't work with anything brought in around here. Infact, I think the dog man that used to work our area collected any dog without a collar, wither he recognized the dog or not, and took them to a local experimental lab for cash.

My one daughter works for the Dept of Health, Animal Control Division. She took the kitten on herself by bringing it home as she is allowed to do that since they have no way to care for a newborn at the facility.

Another question, where can I buy tabs without the plants for my swords? All my plants are just stuck in sand.

Places like Pet Smart and PetCo along with other fish stores usually carry them. You can also order them online. I use the Iron, Phosphate, and Total Root Tabs sold by AquariumPlants.com. Seachem and API are both good brands and those are all you'd need if you have swords or crypts.

You can also buy DIY tabs from other hobbyists. Someone named Ghostshrimp I think had them for sale on here very cheap in the Mart area.

Or join The Planted Tank for free and shop there. Great prices and nice people. That's where I got my Root Caps from.

I'm getting Seachem from PetSmart for my swords as mentioned by someone as alright to use. Bad idea?? How often do you use them? You or someone probably answered that before, but it's buried at the moment.

BTW, my well water hardness is off the scale. I can't measure it. What, if anything, will that affect?

Seachem root tabs are needed for swords and directions on use is on the package.

First wait and see if your fish and plants do with your current water even if it is hard. If you notice your plants aren't looking good you may have to cut your tap water with RO to soften it up. BUT what type test did you use? Liquid or test strips? And did you measure Kh, Gh, or both?

You certainly have alot of calcium in your water. Wonder what your Gh is. Honestly I'd see how your plant do as many can adapt and grow quite well. There is a handful of plants that won't do well in hard water but I would just monitor them for now. If down the road you feel you need to lower you Kh/Gh you'd do best cutting your tap water with RO water during WC's.

Gh? - I gave up at 24 drops. I could keep going if you like, but it's a given that it's very hard water.

I don't have an RO set up. It's expensive and the main reason I don't have a salt water tank. The only problem I have, besides the swords, is floating plants.

I wouldn't worry about it then. Just pick plants that are known to do better in hard water.

So, what problems can I expect to have with this wonderful well water? Fish as well as plants.......I am having a large fish loss right now. I thought it was a bad batch, but maybe not. I've lost fancy Guppies, 2 Gouramis, 2 Tiger Barbs, at least 8 Neon Tetras, and 4 female Betas. My Rainbow Eel is acting strange. There seems to be a fungus problem with some of them. And that is just what I found. Unknown what is hiding in plants. Amazingly, my Glass Cats and Spotted Cats are just fine - so far.

OK, let me throw this out, I have a 125 gal drilled tank with a Marineland Tidepool Bio-wheel filtration system. They are phasing this system out. It is already getting difficult to get replacement parts and filter supplies. What is my alternative? Anyone else have a large tank like this? What do you use for a filter system??

So, what problems can I expect to have with this wonderful well water?

So I'm not a super knowledgable fish keeper, but I have been looking into hard water tolerant fish as I live in an area with MODERATELY hard city water. I'm sure our well water around here is as awesome as yours.

I found this article with some species suggestions:

Hard Water Comm Tk Sel Monks

Our local LFS (a good one, gotten generally great advice from them!) says some of the easier hard water tolerant/preferring species are minnows (danios, white clouds), platies, things like that.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for helping decrease hardness. My crypts are the happiest plants in my tank.

OK, let me throw this out, I have a 125 gal drilled tank with a Marineland Tidepool Bio-wheel filtration system. They are phasing this system out. It is already getting difficult to get replacement parts and filter supplies. What is my alternative? Anyone else have a large tank like this? What do you use for a filter system??
Since your tank is already drilled you can just switch over to a sump. Basically the same system you have now. Just a few different parts.

Back
Top Bottom