osmocote question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm hearing osmocote is a positive growth enhancer for my planted tank (namely the pesky swords). I understand there are a few different ways to administer the osmocote: coffee sacks, gel caps,.... anyway has anyone tried either one of these methods to administer osmocote, especially the gel caps, I am curious about how safe they are for my fish. Do they (gel caps) dissolve over time and do I need some type of machine to fill these caps? lastly I'm hearing the fruit and veggie osmocote is a winner, but what about the osmocote plus?

Thanks

Kagochi

I'm not sure of the different kinds of osmocote over there so I can't help with that. But the way I add it to my substrate is by freezing ice cubes containing the osmocote then pushing them down next to the plants. The ice melts and leaves the fertilizer in place.

I've done the ice cube method also, but the gel cap method works just as well. There is even a product on the web that is pretty much osmocote (aka slow release fertilizer pellets) stuffed in gel capsules and marketed as a root tab.

I've not used the fruit and vegetable kind either, but osmocote+ is what you want, it has both macros and micros in it. The regular osmocote (not sure about the fruit and veggie) is just N-P-K

Back
Top Bottom