ph in cichlid tank (80)gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would go buy some Aragonite at your LFS (a 30 lb bag cost less than $20). I think this will stabalize your tank much quicker. There is more surface area and smaller pieces of shells, which has the same mineral content that makes up limestone (CaCO3). Limestone is made of fossil shells/foraminefera which are too made from CaCO3 and silica.

I use Holey rock and Aragonite in my tank. The Holey rock gives Mbuna many places to hide and is quite beautiful but a little expensive ($2-4/lb).

My tank has a stable pH of ~8.4.

Personally, I don't mess with my Ph for my africans and they're doing great. As was already mentioned, a stable Ph is better for the fish than a fluctuating one.

if you are adding anything to your tank to see if it raises the ph i would add it in a media bag and not spread it throughout the tank. if you need to remove it for any reason it's a lot easier to pull the bag as opposede to trying to scrape it up off the bottom of the tank. if everthing works out you can dump it from the bag at that point.

and i agree NEVER add chemicals to your tank to raise or lower the ph. that has the potential to kill your fish when ph fluctuates wildly and it will when the chemical wears off.

Tnx I evry one I got my ph up so far the fish are good hope this now my fish are just mean scrub fish I introduse are getting killed lol what do I do for that

ghostking010 said:
Hold on if it bubbles is that good I know if u put vinigar just on the limestone it bubbles

Bubbles means it will raise ph and most often will also increase kh, which is your waters buffering capacity

rotorhead22 said:
Your pH should be 8.2 - 8.4 for African Cichlids. FYI ammonia is much more toxic at lower pH which is why it is so important not to let it crash (when you get fish). Holey rock or other forms of Limestone will help keep your tank buffered. You can also use Aragonite as your substrate. Hope that helps.

You have that backwards ammonia is more toxic at higher PH levels which is why African cichlids and saltwater fish are often thought to be more sensitive to ammonia.

The PH doesn't necessarily need to be that high either, unless the fish are wild caught. Chances are they are tank/ farmed raised in a ph around 6.8-7.4, 6 is a bit low however. Add crushed coral to your filter and it will slowly break down and buffer your water.

But higher ph will always help bring more colors out. I know as soon as I raised to 8.4 colors had tremendously increased.

Agreed with malawi freak, even though they are bred in a less than optional range doesn't change that they will thrive best in the preferred range of that specie. My yellows had to be acclimated slowly as my lfs uses neutral water from ro with his tanks, and my tank ph is 8.4 (7 to 8.4? Yowza), but I can see a difference in their color now and when I first acquired them

If you absolutely have to use additives then go with a mixture of
1tsp. Sodium bicarbonate
1tsp. Aquarium salt or instant ocean
1tbsp. Epsom salts
Per 5gal. of R.O. water or lower ph. tapwater.

There's a huge difference between survive and thrive, most people who post here ask if they fish will be fine and survive in a lower PH. The simple answer is yes.

There's a huge difference between survive and thrive, most people who post here ask if they fish will be fine and survive in a lower PH. The simple answer is yes.

this is also true of south american cichlids that prefer a lower ph. i keep my tank ph at about 6.4-6.5 with a mix of ro and tap water. yes it takes a bit of an effort but the growth and color is great. they are living in water conditions that are the best for the species. whenever people see my rams they are amazed at their bright colors and their size(3.5 inches) here's a few pics.
36993-albums1744-picture13191.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32703.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32686.jpg

they are a bit bleary from the bubbles in the tank but i think you can see their color is very vibrant. i have almost all s.a. cichlids in my all male tank. :fish2:

Very nice rams ill attach a pic of the fish in my tank the ph is really low but they seem to like it

ForumRunner_20120429_134514.jpg

ForumRunner_20120429_134537.jpg

ForumRunner_20120429_134556.jpg

ForumRunner_20120429_134638.jpg

ForumRunner_20120429_134709.jpg

very nice fish. what is the black striped fish with the blue fins? that is a cool fish. :)

wow just read they grow to be 14" long! that would never work in my 45 gal. that's for sure! beautiful fish though.

Yea he came from my freinds 1500 liter tank his fontasias had babies and bought it off him for 10 bucks they go for 16 in the store so pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom