ph level too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*I love that combo and thanks! I have no idea what the fish look like but if it is a tried and true combo ... I'm there! lol

Lol, no not at all. It's just that they're very slow eaters, so it's best to use sinking pellets, or frozen bloodworms, and either develop VERY good aim, or use a turkey baster and target feed. They're really slow eaters, and are nearly blind, but are very nice community additions.

I bought the bloodworms! But now, what is the best food for all those other fish named? I have a mix of flakes but I listened to petsmart and so not so sure now.

Pamala said:
*I love that combo and thanks! I have no idea what the fish look like but if it is a tried and true combo ... I'm there! lol

Look them up on google! The orange lasers will probably need to be ordered online, but pandas, peppers, and emeralds are usually more readily available in stores. I like the look of all of them, I just like the orange lasers best!

I have to clean the tank tonight and I read you clean it after you introduce a fish so do you think getting a group of neons would be a good start for tonight? Remember, I need something hardy! lol

Pamala said:
I bought the bloodworms! But now, what is the best food for all those other fish named? I have a mix of flakes but I listened to petsmart and so not so sure now.

Lol, the cories will eat the flakes that fall to the bottom, (just make sure some DO fall to the bottom!) and the pleco will need algae wafers, and fresh, boiled zucchini. A piece of driftwood helps the bristlenoses digestion, and provides a safe place for your shy fish, (which none of the above listed are.) neons and black skirts will eat the flakes. All the fish like the frozen bloodworms, and supplement those in twice a week for all fish. And finally, pick one day a week to either fast, or feed boiled, chopped, shelled peas to your fish, ad this prevents gloating.

Pamala said:
I have to clean the tank tonight and I read you clean it after you introduce a fish so do you think getting a group of neons would be a good start for tonight? Remember, I need something hardy! lol

No, your tank will be fine. Just do a 25% water change and a 25% gravel vac, and post some test results for us. Do the black skirts first, as they are hardier then the neons. As for barbs, rosy barbs would be ok, but most barbs can get aggressive if not kept in sufficient numbers, and tiger barbs are just aggressive in general. A school of 6 would be fine, 3 and 3, but I wouldn't suggest it. Maybe a pair of Bolivian rams instead?

Lauren, you've been such a huge help! It feels nice to go to the fish store armed with the right knowledge. Thanks so much! Do you think the neons are the best to introduce at this point or the Bolivians?

Heres a good order for adding the new fish:
1. Black skirts
2. Cories
3. Barbs (not recommended... But it's your choice.)
4. Neons (kind of sensitive due to over breeding)
5. Bristlenose pleco (not sensitive, your just more likely to have algae for him to clean if you wait)
6. Rams (a bit sensitive, but the bolivians are much hardier then the goldens or German blues.
You will need to wait 2 weeks before adding each additional species, to give the bioload of the tank time to catch up. Also, if you have that 10 gallon still... Cycle that and QT the fish for 2 weeks to make sure they won't bring any diseases to the main tank.

Pamala said:
Wait! Tires come to screetch! What is a gravel vac????

Lol, it gets all the crud out of the gravel for you. Look into a python. They also help with water changes.

Awesome! Thank you! I'm printing that order out. lol Now the next and last question ... how many of each one is safe? I want to write the number next to them. :)

I don't think I sent that last response right! Yes, for example, how many black skirts do I get tonight?

I was going to bail on this whole tank thing if it meant getting a snake to clean after them! LOL I literally had goosebumps.

Great. Now do you think a 50 gallon tank could hold 2 - 3 guanimis? I like the one we have because he is so happy and hardy!

Back
Top Bottom