Pittbully's planted tank journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Fresh for chiming in. Im inexperienced with LEDs. I was gonna a do a plug for you about the s.repens too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I guess I beat you to it. I started using LEDs about a year and a half ago after I discovered what little light came out of a T5 normal output fixture. It works well for Moss and crypts but not the plants I'm growing now.

I hoping to take the plunge into LEDs soon. In the mean time I just have to work with what I got.

It's an evolving process. Had I'd known how effective CFLs were i may have gone that route. The Finnex series are good performers at a decent price.

The Bacopa caroliniana is not too demanding. I stopped using it in a 20g long and a FugeRay because it was growing too fast. I moved it to a low light 20g long tank with dual T5 NO and it grew. Not as fast but it did fine. I moved a few stems back to the original tank and the growth is rapid and leaves are bleaching a bit under a Finnex planted+.
Star repens will do fine in a 29 with a planted+. It did great under a FugeRay. PM if you need some.

Good to know! I have a pool filter sand substrate. Do you think it would be difficult to get Star Repens to stay put in that? If not, I probably PM you for a quote. :)

Good to know! I have a pool filter sand substrate. Do you think it would be difficult to get Star Repens to stay put in that? If not, I probably PM you for a quote. :)

At first they might float away until the roots grow in. I use toothpicks to hold them down. I use ecocomplete for a substrate which is probably heavier than PFS.
When I first got the from one of those gel packs, the plants were tiny. Barely resembled the mature plant. But the root system on the established plants are quite extensive.

At first they might float away until the roots grow in. I use toothpicks to hold them down. I use ecocomplete for a substrate which is probably heavier than PFS.
When I first got the from one of those gel packs, the plants were tiny. Barely resembled the mature plant. But the root system on the established plants are quite extensive.

Oh, I thought they were stem plants. I didn't realize they grew substantial roots. I may have to rethink.

They are stem plants. You trim and replant the tops. Sounds tedious but you control the layout and spread (as opposed to runners gone wild) and they will fill in with side shoots for a thick carpet.

I had the same problem with mine. They were always floating and the cories and Pleco didn't help, but just like fresh said once the roots grab hold they stay in place. I have flourite dark and it's pretty loose. Once I had a tank with pfs and I liked it cause it compacts and makes planting finer stems easy.

Haha the most I've had to deal with are the MTS, though they like to burrow and push things around.

I have some bigggg mts, they were bull dozing stars up the first few weeks too. Hey pit, that t5 is a worthy rig, leds are really just the business imo. If it's a cost thing? Wait a few months, finnex is releasing new products so the older stuff will most likely come down. Maybe Santa will hook you up haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The MTS in my planted tank are meh. I've managed to kill some unintentionally via the war on algae (H2O2, glut). There must be a mineral deficiency because the shell tips are white and fragile.
The MTS in my low light shrimp tank are huge and algae pellet pigs. Their shells are nice and rich colored.
I like the planted+. Hopefully the prices will drop but the FugeRay price seemed to stay the same when the planted+ came out.

I have some bigggg mts, they were bull dozing stars up the first few weeks too. Hey pit, that t5 is a worthy rig, leds are really just the business imo. If it's a cost thing? Wait a few months, finnex is releasing new products so the older stuff will most likely come down. Maybe Santa will hook you up haha

Yeah I'm still waiting to see what finnex it going to put out. I really anxious. I only asking about the odessy since it seems good for the price.

Yeah I'm still waiting to see what finnex it going to put out. I really anxious. I only asking about the odessy since it seems good for the price.

That fixture will def grow any plants you want, just may have a touch of shade on the sides and you'll be replacing $50-$60 worth of bulbs up to twice a year..
If you want somethi nh extra in the meantime?? Pay shipping and I'll send you my diy 4 bulb rig;) that'd be some serious light!!!

Brookster could you link the CFLS that you use in your setup? I'm making another one and forget which bulbs to buy...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

That fixture will def grow any plants you want, just may have a touch of shade on the sides and you'll be replacing $50-$60 worth of bulbs up to twice a year..
If you want somethi nh extra in the meantime?? Pay shipping and I'll send you my diy 4 bulb rig;) that'd be some serious light!!!

I have another one as well just haven't put it together. It's an old 36 fixture. But thanks for the offer man, pretty generous. I might have to put it together soon.

Back
Top Bottom